Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
A lot of the time when I make a command to Siri on my iPhone 5 it takes a while to respond and then when it does, it just says "I'm having a bit of trouble right now can you try that again?"

Why does this happen, and what can I do to fix it?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Siri doesn't answer your questions locally, instead it is all uploaded to Apple's servers.

I believe the error you got is caused by difficulty communicating with the servers. Typically not much you can do about that besides try again.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Are you sure? I thought It's programmed into the phone itself...

I was about to go return it and get a new one hoping Siri would work on it but if it has to do with apple I guess there'd be no point In doing that

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Are you sure? I thought It's programmed into the phone itself...

I was about to go return it and get a new one hoping Siri would work on it but if it has to do with apple I guess there'd be no point In doing that

Siri requires internet access to work, so yes, it sends data to Apple.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The servers are probably very busy at the moment from people trying out their new iPhones.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Actually, I've been having that problem a lot today. It does fine converting my voice to text, but won't answer question.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Apple really should look into implementing some local processing into Siri. It's so annoying to say "Call Jason" and then it does nothing, or takes like 30 seconds. This completely undermines what Siri is meant for: convenience. And it does this A LOT, I'd say 50/50.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
What I don't understand is when it displays what I said which means I heard back from the server and it should be processing locally and it still hangs and fails.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
What I don't understand is when it displays what I said which means I heard back from the server and it should be processing locally and it still hangs and fails.

The server processing isn't just turning your voice into text, it's also interpreting what you most likely meant using a lot of different resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.