Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I have a 4S, threw in my order for the 5 that will be here in ~20 days or so according to AT&T. Question is, for those who upgraded from the 4S, is it worth it?

I am considering just selling the 5 for a hefty $500 profit, and just keep my 4S. But a big part of me just wants to keep it and sell my 4S.

Is it worth it?

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
If anyone has the upgrade then yes it is worth it. I love mine. I just hope more apps get updated to fit the larger screen soon.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I have the 4s too (and now the 5).

To me the biggest feature I could totally take advantage of is the LTE on the iPhone 5 since average speeds (depending on your area) is like five times faster than my DSL. I have unlimited data, but I guess I'm prone to throttling even more.

If you take a lot of pictures, the camera is improved for low-light situations which to me I use a lot (I never used the on-board flash).

The processor is also like three times faster (based on tests by 3rd party), making the already pretty fast 4s even faster on the 5.

How about selling the iPhone 5 and buy it again? It's a win-win!

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I went from the 4 to the 4S and that was a debatable upgrade imo. It was kinda worth it, but i could have done without it. That being said, the iphone 5 destroys both. From the bigger screen, to the faster processor, to the 4G LTE. It is just awesome in the hand and well worth the upgrade for $199. Hell, i didnt have an upgrade thanks to me buying the 4S and i still dont regret buying the i5 at $649 lol

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I'm not wondering if it is a good upgrade for the 200, I know that. I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading instead of profiting the 500.

I wouldn't have upgraded to the 4S from the 4, small upgrade. The 5 seems to be action packed though. The cameras (front facing one I know is hugely improved)- processor, 3 mics, larger screen, etc etc. The LTE is nice but I'm usually on a wifi connection anyway. The camera was a huge pusher for me since I do photography (as shown in my signature) so always looking to enhance that as far as having a camera in my phone at all times. I use my 4S all the time for photos.

I suppose I could sell the 5 for markup and buy when the market is settled, that might be good. Don't know if it's worth the effort though since the 4S would be lesser then anyway.

I'll most likely just keep it, that was the plan the whole time. Just thought I would get some insight because I've never seen or used one yet.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If your area's HSPA+ is good, sell the iPhone 5 and keep the cash. If it's shaky, and you'd see a big benefit from LTE, and are willing to put up with Lightning, then keep the iPhone 5 and enjoy blazing fast LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.