Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirt nasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I posted this in this main wifi issues thread. But don't felt it belong there. Can anyone else test this below.

(Copied from original Wifi thread)

Here's how I could cause the wifi to become practically dead. Similar to iphone 4 antenna issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntEO0N_Tc1o

Note: Last night I had issues without doing the above, but once I manually selected a different server it went back to 30Mbps. The issue above doesn't matter what server you're testing against.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Mine just freezes in the middle of the download or sometimes the upload part of the test.
Does the same wether I touch it or leave it on the table.
The wifi has many issues on these new iPhones.

dirt nasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Mine just freezes in the middle of the download or sometimes the upload part of the test.
Does the same wether I touch it or leave it on the table.
The wifi has many issues on these new iPhones.

Yes. I was trying to keep those threads separate.

tcoche

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
That sucks man! I have seen all these threads about wifi problems. I have ignored them because I have yet to have any problems with it. If there is some setting or whatever I can look at for you, let me know.

5A12644B-42E4-4AC1-A16B-0F1DA5FB22BC-862-0000006F5C3594E4.jpg

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
How about if you hold it like when playing games or typing? This position looks quite forced and unnatural.

dirt nasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
How about if you hold it like when playing games or typing? This position looks quite forced and unnatural.

I agree unnatural, but was discovered accidentally when watching a video in landscape orientation.

spring

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I am having WiFi problems as well. I don't have to grip my phone like that either, just cover the top glass part on the back. I was printing something earlier wirelessly and set my phone on the table and it stopped printing halfway through until I picked up my phone again. This was through a 2.4ghz G wifi, 70 ft away from the router.

dirt nasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I am having WiFi problems as well. I don't have to grip my phone like that either, just cover the top glass part on the back. I was printing something earlier wirelessly and set my phone on the table and it stopped printing halfway through until I picked up my phone again. This was through a 2.4ghz G wifi, 70 ft away from the router.

I'd visit the other thread. This thread seems to directed toward a hardware issue.

TRowe81

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
After watching your video, I did a speed test while only touching the back panel, and experienced painfully slow speeds. I then changed to a "gorilla grip" and my speeds doubled, but were still very slow.

I've seen major inconsistencies with the speeds, but can't attribute them to particular grips, yet. Not sure if this indicates a hardware or software issue. Here's hoping for software... I'm optimistic about iOS 6.x.

dirt nasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
This is strange...My test goes off the screen holding the phone in various positions....A bad batch of antennae?

Maybe. I'm going to get Apple to take a look either at the video or in store. I feel its a problem that extends to more than just my phone, but was hoping more would try this out.

backfire103

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Mine has connection issues. Standing any further away than 10 feet from the router the phone drops the connection. Apple is sending me a replacement phone.

backfire103

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Just to post an update I just got my replacement phone and everything works great. The wifi speeds are up to par as well. Sprints activation support is another story...

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
I cannot reproduce this. I have had one time where I had to reboot to get wifi working correctly again, but that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.