Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
the.orange.tuba
macrumors member

LastPass password manager, opinions?

My main concern is that I didn't see it in the Mac OS X App Store, which for me doesn't inspire confidence.

If it can't make that cut, why should I or anyone else trust it with their passwords? I know its available for the iPhone and iPad via the App store, so why not the Mac OS X App Store?

It looks good and I have seen favorable reviews, but what do you guys think?

Do you like any other password managers better?

Thanks!

Update: I just went to LastPass' site to download and I see it's a browser extension, so I guess that's why it's not in the Mac OS X App Store. I then found it at Apple's Safari Extension Gallary. So my main concern has been addressed, but opinions and suggestions are still welcome!

Last edited by the.orange.tuba; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
the.orange.tuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
whiteonline
macrumors regular

LastPass is awesome. Combine it with YubiKey two factor authentication for additional piece of mind.
I have zero complaints. I'm a paying user of the service. The customer service is very timely and they put up good tips and news on their twitter feed occasionally.
whiteonline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
moviebiz
macrumors member

I agree with whiteonline's assessment. LastPass is great. I have no problems with the service and the developer has been very responsive.
moviebiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
LastPass seems to have a pretty good pedigree, I use it now because it is cross-platform (vs. 1Password which is also a great app.) I have it installed on Chrome and Safari.
madmaxmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5
blatopilot
macrumors regular

I use it with Chrome and love it.

The settings are what make it for me. You can have it auto login, autofill but not login, never do either etc...

You can save notes, credit card info, health insurance info...It will also generate passwords...
blatopilot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I've been using lastPass for a couple of years, and couldn't be more pleased with it. Does everything I could want it to do.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:26 PM   #7
cerote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
LastPass seems to have a pretty good pedigree, I use it now because it is cross-platform (vs. 1Password which is also a great app.) I have it installed on Chrome and Safari.
1Password is cross platform too. I tried LastPass didn't fully like it but it was good. I prefer 1Password though. But both are great.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:42 AM   #8
Fatboy71
macrumors 6502a

I use Last Pass with Chrome, Safari, Firefox and it works flawlessly. It's an extremely good browser add on. Especially when you download the apps for it for the iPhone and iPad. It means I've got the same log in details with me that I have on my PC.

When I get my iMac, I'll be using Last Pass with this too.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.orange.tuba View Post
My main concern is that I didn't see it in the Mac OS X App Store, which for me doesn't inspire confidence.

If it can't make that cut, why should I or anyone else trust it with their passwords? I know its available for the iPhone and iPad via the App store, so why not the Mac OS X App Store?

Thanks!

Update: I just went to LastPass' site to download and I see it's a browser extension, so I guess that's why it's not in the Mac OS X App Store. I then found it at Apple's Safari Extension Gallary. So my main concern has been addressed, but opinions and suggestions are still welcome!
Lastpass isn't an app its an extension in the browser.

Ignore me, you've already answered your own question

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:43 AM   #10
jrs22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron011 View Post
I like Splash ID [www.splashdata.com] primarily because it is least expensive. Comparative charts do not show any diminished feature relative to cost when it is associated with other popular expensive password managers. And most importantly, it is readily sold on Mac OS X App Store.
When Steve Gibson reviewed security issues with different password managers he described something weird that splash ID did with the splash ID password itself that made it less secure than other password managers. Something about a fixed factor that's used for encrypting the password so hackers have a head start for decrypting data.

Last edited by jrs22; Sep 27, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
jrs22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:09 AM   #11
SandboxGeneral

Quote:

Thanks!

I've been using Lastpass for quite some time and I love it. It's simplified my Internet password experience tremendously. It's secure and easy to use and best of all, it's cross-platform and cross-browser which means I can use my same account on OS X, Windows and iOS and in Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I tried 1password for a while and didn't like it near as much as Lastpass.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:42 AM   #12
the.orange.tuba
macrumors member

Thanks to you all for the replys!

I think I will go with LastPass which is free for the Mac(right?), and might do the yearly $12 subscription for iPhone/iPad use. I like that option better than the 1password relatively large upfront price for the Mac App, plus iPhone and iPad app fees, plus upgrade costs down the road. Seems like 1password will be more expensive overall.

I read a review somewhere, where a guy said he could use LastPass from his iPhone without buying the premium. Is this possible, or does it require the premium service?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
jrs22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks to you all for the replys!

I think I will go with LastPass which is free for the Mac(right?), and might do the yearly $12 subscription for iPhone/iPad use. I like that option better than the 1password relatively large upfront price for the Mac App, plus iPhone and iPad app fees, plus upgrade costs down the road. Seems like 1password will be more expensive overall.

I read a review somewhere, where a guy said he could use LastPass from his iPhone without buying the premium. Is this possible, or does it require the premium service?

Thanks!
There's a Lastpass browser that you can use on your iphone or ipad to log in with stored password info, but without premium you can't edit password info on your mobile device.
jrs22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
dmrowley
macrumors regular

If you have Macs and PC, then LastPass is the way to go. No need to pay for separate OS platforms, as you have to do with 1Password. Ive been using it for years on my wifes Windows Laptop, and my 2 Macs. Works with IE, Safari, Chrome, & Firefox. The iOS app is good too
Daughter: '09 2.53 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro
dmrowley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:43 PM   #15
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

I have been using Roboform on my pc and now have a mac air. Will be getting a new imac (hopefully within a few months).

i have an ipad
iphone

I was trying to decide on roboform for the mac since I know it and then came across 1Password.

Now I guess I will look at LastPass.

Are you saying that you can use Last Pass on one pc and then the same license on the mac. Or you just download it on each pc/mac.
THen how does it keep it synched up...
bgsnmky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:03 AM   #16
the.orange.tuba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
I have been using Roboform on my pc and now have a mac air. Will be getting a new imac (hopefully within a few months).

i have an ipad
iphone

I was trying to decide on roboform for the mac since I know it and then came across 1Password.

Now I guess I will look at LastPass.

Are you saying that you can use Last Pass on one pc and then the same license on the mac. Or you just download it on each pc/mac.
THen how does it keep it synched up...
The nice thing about LastPass is that it's free on Macs, and Windows and Linux machines.

And according to jrs22:
Quote:
There's a Lastpass browser that you can use on your iphone or ipad to log in with stored password info, but without premium you can't edit password info on your mobile device.
Premium is the $12/year subscription service.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:16 AM   #17
the.orange.tuba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs22 View Post
At the Apple Store I saw a LastPass Tab Browser for the iPad, is that what you are talking about? If so, is there one for the iPhone? I also saw LastPass for Premium Customers for both iPad and iPhone.

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:25 AM   #18
the.orange.tuba
macrumors member

How safe is it to cut & paste LastPass Sign-in & Password

How safe it is to cut and paste LastPass sign-in names and passwords from their website via Safari on iPhone and iPad?

@bgsnmky and others:

If you didn't want to pay for the premium service to use LastPass on your idevices, you could sign into LastPass' website, mobile website for iPhone, and access your info there. They have a nice webpage that has a link to your websites and a button to view each sign-in name and password. You could type them or cut and paste them. I suspect this method takes longer than if you had their premium service.

Also, I don't mind paying for the premium service to reward the developers for a nice product and for their hard work, but I just haven't committed to LastPass yet. I'm currently test driving LastPass on my Mac, and have been for a month of so.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:41 PM   #19
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerote View Post
1Password is cross platform too. I tried LastPass didn't fully like it but it was good. I prefer 1Password though. But both are great.
Just curious why you didn't like last pass..I am trying to understand the difference between the two of them.
bgsnmky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:22 PM   #20
glenthompson
macrumors 6502a

I can't explain the differences but my wife & I have been long term users of the premium version of Lastpass. We both use the browser add-ins. One feature we like is the identities. We have one account with identities for each. Saves money and allows the other to get into the accounts in an emergency.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store