Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:19 PM   #601
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post
Crapppp!
Of course this would happen to me!
Any more suggestions? Lol.
What's the model number listed on the back plate of this iphone 5?
Just curious.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:21 PM   #602
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
What's the model number listed on the back plate of this iphone 5?
Just curious.
It's an iPhone 4s 16GB Black. Lol. Probably should've mentioned that earlier.
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:28 PM   #603
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post
It's an iPhone 4s 16GB Black. Lol. Probably should've mentioned that earlier.
Still weird.
Try restoring it with itunes and see if it activates with that AT&T sim card.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:29 PM   #604
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Still weird.
Try restoring it with itunes and see if it activates with that AT&T sim card.
Will do boss! Give me a bit!
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #605
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Lets see how it goes, Im curious
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:49 PM   #606
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Lets see how it goes, Im curious
OMGGGG...

So, I restored and I started to activate through iTunes, when I get this:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #607
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post
OMGGGG...

So, I restored and I started to activate through iTunes, when I get this:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

LMAO
So I guess its not an AT&T iphone 4S afterall
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:29 PM   #608
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
LMAO
So I guess its not an AT&T iphone 4S afterall


But that's the original SIM! My friend gave this to me since he was getting an iPhone 5. He told me he hasn't changed a thing on this phone, much less switched out SIM cards. And since I restored, I'm stuck at the activation screen now. Guess this thing is a doorstop...
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:40 PM   #609
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post


But that's the original SIM! My friend gave this to me since he was getting an iPhone 5. He told me he hasn't changed a thing on this phone, much less switched out SIM cards. And since I restored, I'm stuck at the activation screen now. Guess this thing is a doorstop...
Your friend lied to you.
It doesnt matter if its the original sim or any AT&T would activate it fine if it was locked to AT&T or an AT&T iphone 4S.
That's why unlock fusion couldnt unlock it for you also.
It all makes sense now
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:50 PM   #610
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a
 
Minhimalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Went to the Apple Store to replace my unlock_fusion unlocked phone about two hours ago.. and it's locked. They bitched at me and said the system rang it up as an unauthorized unlock and gave me this one and basically told me to be on my way. Now it's two hours later and the unlock still hasn't transferred so I'm thinking something actually did go wrong. Already purchased another unlock from them.. we'll see. For now I'm out of a phone.. woot!

edit. . i spoke too soon! WHY DID THAT TAKE SO LONG TO TRANSFER Dx works now.. false alarm.

edit edit: i lied. it was just my second purchased unlock going through.. they really did give me a locked one after telling me my unlock was unauthorized. so stupid..
__________________
iPhone 6; MacBook Air
Twitter Instagram Flickr deviantART

Last edited by Minhimalism; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Minhimalism is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 PM   #611
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Your friend lied to you.
It doesnt matter if its the original sim or any AT&T would activate it fine if it was locked to AT&T or an AT&T iphone 4S.
That's why unlock fusion couldnt unlock it for you also.
It all makes sense now
So, if the iPhone was bought straight from the store and activated at the store through AT&T, it's not AT&T locked, right?

So, since my phone's stuck on the activation screen, is there anything I can do?
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:56 PM   #612
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post
So, if the iPhone was bought straight from the store and activated at the store through AT&T, it's not AT&T locked, right?

So, since my phone's stuck on the activation screen, is there anything I can do?
Not sure man.
Not even sure what carrier its locked to.
Whatever it is its not an AT&T iphone. Maybe it came from Canada or any other country and its locked to another carrier. But its hard to find out to what company its locked to. Contact apple and see what they say. Maybe they will tell you what carrier its locked to by giving them the serial number.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:05 PM   #613
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Not sure man.
Not even sure what carrier its locked to.
Whatever it is its not an AT&T iphone. Maybe it came from Canada or any other country and its locked to another carrier. But its hard to find out to what company its locked to. Contact apple and see what they say. Maybe they will tell you what carrier its locked to by giving them the serial number.

Alright. I'm going to try and figure this out and report back. This is really weird. Lol.
Okay. What do you consider an Apple iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5 "locked" to AT&T? Do you have to buy it straight from AT&T through a branch or online? I've been trying to ask myself that question because I can't make any sense out of this situation.
AND thanks for your help, man! I really appreciate it.
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:14 PM   #614
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post

Alright. I'm going to try and figure this out and report back. This is really weird. Lol.
Okay. What do you consider an Apple iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5 "locked" to AT&T? Do you have to buy it straight from AT&T through a branch or online? I've been trying to ask myself that question because I can't make any sense out of this situation.
AND thanks for your help, man! I really appreciate it.
Yes, I dont get it either but at least now we know its not an AT&T iphone. Its locked to another carrier.
An AT&T locked iphone is sold by Apple, at&t, bestbuy and you can buy it in many places with an AT&T account. Also walmart, target etc...
Hope it works out in the end man. You're welcome.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:53 PM   #615
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, I dont get it either but at least now we know its not an AT&T iphone. Its locked to another carrier.
An AT&T locked iphone is sold by Apple, at&t, bestbuy and you can buy it in many places with an AT&T account. Also walmart, target etc...
Hope it works out in the end man. You're welcome.
Called an Apple representative at one of branches closest to me, and they said they can't find out what carrier the iPhone is locked to.

What an expensive paperweight!
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:07 PM   #616
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky1 View Post
Called an Apple representative at one of branches closest to me, and they said they can't find out what carrier the iPhone is locked to.

What an expensive paperweight!
Sucks.
I remember there was a site that when you input your IMEI it told you what carrier the phone is locked to.
Cant remember exactly the url address though.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:10 PM   #617
Shecky1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Sucks.
I remember there was a site that when you input your IMEI it told you what carrier the phone is locked to.
Cant remember exactly the url address though.
Got some more info here. Called up my friend and asked him if he could ask AT&T to unlock the iPhone. So, he calls up AT&T and gives the IMEI number of the iPhone. AT&T tells him the phone was reported stolen. He told them how could that be because he got the phone from an AT&T branch store, brand new! And he's been using that iPhone 4S before he sold it to me and got the iPhone 5. So, he's currently trying to figure out what's going on.

I mean, seriously, how can you give a brand new iPhone to someone that was reported stolen? Thanks, bro.
Shecky1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:00 PM   #618
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Weird.
Good luck with it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:51 PM   #619
benguild
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhimalism View Post
Went to the Apple Store to replace my unlock_fusion unlocked phone about two hours ago.. and it's locked. They bitched at me and said the system rang it up as an unauthorized unlock and gave me this one and basically told me to be on my way. Now it's two hours later and the unlock still hasn't transferred so I'm thinking something actually did go wrong. Already purchased another unlock from them.. we'll see. For now I'm out of a phone.. woot!

edit. . i spoke too soon! WHY DID THAT TAKE SO LONG TO TRANSFER Dx works now.. false alarm.

edit edit: i lied. it was just my second purchased unlock going through.. they really did give me a locked one after telling me my unlock was unauthorized. so stupid..
Hmm, that sucks.
__________________
http://benguild.com
benguild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:15 AM   #620
FuNGi
macrumors 6502a
 
FuNGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden & California
I had AT&T unlock my original iP4 that was out of contract. I sold it and bought a used (yet mint) 64GB iP4S. AT&T unlocked it no problem too. My wife dropped her iP4S (still under contract) into a lake so we bought her another used iP4S with the insurance money...AT&T refused to unlock hers even though she's on my family plan...Unlock_Fusion and $3.72 or whatever later and it too is unlocked. Cool story.
__________________
4", 13", 15", 24"
FuNGi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:00 AM   #621
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Unlocked phones

I am sick of this locked phones, i allwayes buy unlocked phones (iphone)
paying high price, now Apple don't sell unlocked iphone 5 in the US,(why we are hostage of ower providers?)
I just ordered my new nexus unlocked google phone for $349
good price, hope it will work good.
Apple lost me
AttilaTheHun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:30 AM   #622
robopath
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhimalism View Post
Went to the Apple Store to replace my unlock_fusion unlocked phone about two hours ago.. and it's locked. They bitched at me and said the system rang it up as an unauthorized unlock and gave me this one and basically told me to be on my way. Now it's two hours later and the unlock still hasn't transferred so I'm thinking something actually did go wrong. Already purchased another unlock from them.. we'll see. For now I'm out of a phone.. woot!

edit. . i spoke too soon! WHY DID THAT TAKE SO LONG TO TRANSFER Dx works now.. false alarm.

edit edit: i lied. it was just my second purchased unlock going through.. they really did give me a locked one after telling me my unlock was unauthorized. so stupid..
That is very interesting, I think that is the first confirmation that the fusion unlocks are "unauthorized". Not that it surprises me, but now we know that their systems delineate the legit unlocks from the ebay ones.
robopath is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:37 AM   #623
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a
 
Minhimalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopath View Post
That is very interesting, I think that is the first confirmation that the fusion unlocks are "unauthorized". Not that it surprises me, but now we know that their systems delineate the legit unlocks from the ebay ones.
Yeah I've never heard of it happening to anyone before. If it matters, it was my third swap due to defects. The other two times, the unlocks transferred flawlessly. This time that's what they said word for word.. It was an unauthorized unlock. So weird!
__________________
iPhone 6; MacBook Air
Twitter Instagram Flickr deviantART
Minhimalism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:02 AM   #624
zamudiovsky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'm about to get an unlock from unlock_fusion for my iphone 5.
before I do it, I want to make sure I do it right; when do I send them my IMEI number? do I added to the "comments" section when you purchase it? or do they send you an email with the instructions on where to send it?

thanks!
zamudiovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:03 AM   #625
Mikebuzzsaw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamudiovsky View Post
I'm about to get an unlock from unlock_fusion for my iphone 5.
before I do it, I want to make sure I do it right; when do I send them my IMEI number? do I added to the "comments" section when you purchase it? or do they send you an email with the instructions on where to send it?

thanks!
You will get an email with instructions. No need to add your IMEI number to your ebay comments
Mikebuzzsaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do iPhone unlocks work? adcx64 iPhone 4 Oct 28, 2012 09:21 PM
Non Activated iPhone unlocks whoknows87 iPhone 9 Oct 2, 2012 10:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC