Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:17 PM   #101
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
I will be picking up the cheapest prepaid sim from a carrier other than AT&T either today or tomorrow and make sure it is unlocked.
Order a free PAYG SIM from T-Mobile's website.
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:33 PM   #102
macfan88
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I already got unlock fusion's email about unlock. It said its done. I need a non AT&T sim to verify after restore. It took only 3 hours to complete and process
macfan88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:37 PM   #103
alexander25
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
i'm jealous of everyone here.. getting their iPhone's unlocked for $20?

why do us canadians always get ripped off.
alexander25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:43 PM   #104
dkla
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Order a free PAYG SIM from T-Mobile's website.
Well... almost free. It's now 99 cents...
dkla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:44 PM   #105
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkla View Post
Well... almost free. It's now 99 cents...
Awww...well I just just repeating something I had read somewhere anyway.

Last time I walked into a T-Mobile store and asked, they gave me one free.
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:47 PM   #106
r&r60
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
hey guys,

just signed up to post about this. so i used the unlock fusion ebay listing two nights ago around midnight EST to unlock my iPhone 5. received the unlock confirmation less than an hour later. did the restore in iTunes and received the unlock message (just like my iPhone 4 via AT&T).

curious to see if this worked, i was able to dig up an old O2 sim from the UK. i chopped it down with a pair of scissors and was able to get it into the sim tray.

as a result, i didn't get the "invalid sim" message that locked phones show. instead, i have "no service" show up in the status bar. i was also able to go to the carrier menu to see if it could pick up at&t or t-mobile service (which it would do in my old blackberry while the card was active), but it didn't give me a choice. i might of pulled the card out too early, since i only waited about a minute.

the sim card was used last used in november 2011 and i logged into my O2 to see it has a zero balance, even though i left 4 on the card. im guessing the inactivity of the UK sim card causes it to deactivate or at least zero out the balance.

im lead to believe that this unlock is valid. i was going to try this on a t-mobile sim i bought last week, but don't have it on me. i hope to give this another shot in the next day or two.
r&r60 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:23 PM   #107
afsalva
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Does anyone know whether i can factory unlock Versizon iphone 4s? Right now i have unlocked it with Gevey, but i cannot upgrade to ios 6.
afsalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:24 PM   #108
mytakeontech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&r60 View Post
hey guys,

just signed up to post about this. so i used the unlock fusion ebay listing two nights ago around midnight EST to unlock my iPhone 5. received the unlock confirmation less than an hour later. did the restore in iTunes and received the unlock message (just like my iPhone 4 via AT&T).

curious to see if this worked, i was able to dig up an old O2 sim from the UK. i chopped it down with a pair of scissors and was able to get it into the sim tray.

as a result, i didn't get the "invalid sim" message that locked phones show. instead, i have "no service" show up in the status bar. i was also able to go to the carrier menu to see if it could pick up at&t or t-mobile service (which it would do in my old blackberry while the card was active), but it didn't give me a choice. i might of pulled the card out too early, since i only waited about a minute.

the sim card was used last used in november 2011 and i logged into my O2 to see it has a zero balance, even though i left 4 on the card. im guessing the inactivity of the UK sim card causes it to deactivate or at least zero out the balance.

im lead to believe that this unlock is valid. i was going to try this on a t-mobile sim i bought last week, but don't have it on me. i hope to give this another shot in the next day or two.
From my experience the SIM cards expire after certain time if those do not connect to the network.
mytakeontech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:24 PM   #109
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a
 
b-rad g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Just a quick note to add I did the iTunes restore when I got home and indeed got the "Congratulations...." message so I think it's all good.
b-rad g is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:38 PM   #110
r&r60
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
I will be picking up the cheapest prepaid sim from a carrier other than AT&T either today or tomorrow and make sure it is unlocked.
are you looking to test out the iPhone 5? from my understanding, t-mobile sims won't be available until mid-october.
r&r60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:46 PM   #111
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a
 
b-rad g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&r60 View Post
are you looking to test out the iPhone 5? from my understanding, t-mobile sims won't be available until mid-october.
No. 4S
b-rad g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:25 PM   #112
snook911
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Well I jumped on the band wagon and ordered my unlock too. Thinking about trying to sell it on ebay unlocked for $1,100 to $1,200 (according to some recent sales) and then going to buy a full price one at Apple.
__________________
iPhone 4GB/3G iPhone 8 GB/5th Gen iPod Nano Video 8GB/ 2 32GB white ipod touch(kids)/iPhone 4 16GB(sold)/32GB iPhone 4S(sold)/16GB WiFi iPad/AppleTV(sold)/July2011 13.3 MBP/32GB iPhone 5(SOON!!!)
snook911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #113
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040
 
Roessnakhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Albuquerque, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by snook911 View Post
Well I jumped on the band wagon and ordered my unlock too. Thinking about trying to sell it on ebay unlocked for $1,100 to $1,200 (according to some recent sales) and then going to buy a full price one at Apple.
I just saw that insane who spends $900-1000 on a 16GB phone?!
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage
portfolio | twitter | flickr | last.fm
Roessnakhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:19 PM   #114
Vivid5500
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Purchased 4 unlocks through unlock_fusion.. 2xiPhone4 and 2xiPhone5... The iPhone5 devices worked on the first restore but the iPhone4 ones took a couple restores before they popped up.. Great service.
Vivid5500 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:31 PM   #115
snook911
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roessnakhan View Post
I just saw that insane who spends $900-1000 on a 16GB phone?!
From what I saw I think it mostly people out of the country where the iPhone might not be available. I have a 32GB so if I can get $1,100 I might sell it and re buy another one at $750 + Tax.
__________________
iPhone 4GB/3G iPhone 8 GB/5th Gen iPod Nano Video 8GB/ 2 32GB white ipod touch(kids)/iPhone 4 16GB(sold)/32GB iPhone 4S(sold)/16GB WiFi iPad/AppleTV(sold)/July2011 13.3 MBP/32GB iPhone 5(SOON!!!)
snook911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:33 PM   #116
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsalva View Post
Does anyone know whether i can factory unlock Versizon iphone 4s? Right now i have unlocked it with Gevey, but i cannot upgrade to ios 6.
No.
The verizon 4s can only be unlocked for outside the us gsm use.
Or with a geney that you're using now.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:03 PM   #117
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040
 
Roessnakhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Albuquerque, USA
unlock_fusion worked with my iPhone 5! I kind of knew when I got the "Congratulations..." message in iTunes, but I wanted to make sure with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26 17.56.18.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	363741  
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage
portfolio | twitter | flickr | last.fm
Roessnakhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:12 PM   #118
benguild
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by snook911 View Post
Well I jumped on the band wagon and ordered my unlock too. Thinking about trying to sell it on ebay unlocked for $1,100 to $1,200 (according to some recent sales) and then going to buy a full price one at Apple.
That's bad karma dude.
__________________
http://benguild.com
benguild is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:18 PM   #119
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040
 
Roessnakhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Albuquerque, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
That's bad karma dude.
Why's that bad karma? S/He isn't doing anything dishonest.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage
portfolio | twitter | flickr | last.fm
Roessnakhan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:33 PM   #120
Minhthien
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
ATT iphone unlocking are so cheap! Fido and Rogers in Canada cost 130 bucks for iphone unlocking! So 7-25 bucks for unlocking iphone At&t isnt that bad, cheaper than gevey ultra!
__________________
15' 2011 MB Pro 2.3 i7 256SSD(Samsung 830)+Data Doubler 750gb / 16gb@1600mhz HR AG
Black iPhone 5 64gb / iPad 4 64gb+4G
Canon 5D Mark III+BG-E11 / 24-70 II/ 70-200L IS II
Minhthien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:51 PM   #121
tigres
macrumors 68040
 
tigres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
just ordered up 2 for 16 and change. saved me 30 min on hold with AT&T.
__________________
Quicker than two shakes of a lambs tail
tigres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:01 PM   #122
Justinb51
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhu2 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190730802412...84.m1497.l2649

I used them last night, got my iphone 5 unlocked this morning!
**UPDATE**

I purchased this one last night at about midnight, got the email saying that it was done today. just restored my iphone 5 to get the unlock message from itunes!! IT WORKS.

On a side note i called AT&T to have my old iphone 4 unlocked about two weeks ago, they did the unlock. I restored on iTunes about 4 times now and never got the unlock message in iTunes. However all the imei checkers that you all have posted show the ip4 as unlocked.. HUH

O yeah and it was like $9 ish

Last edited by Justinb51; Sep 26, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: extra
Justinb51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:11 PM   #123
james92se
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Does the restore need to be done IN iTunes to get the unlock confirmation? Or can you get the confirmation via an iCloud restore?
james92se is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #124
vtecman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynikal.Mindset View Post
I just wish somebody had a cheap unlock solution for Rogers phones...somehow they have stayed out of the mix
Ditto. Why is Rogers unlock so expensive for iPhone 5?
vtecman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #125
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
So what other carriers are offering nano sims to use with this multitude of newly unlocked phones?
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do iPhone unlocks work? adcx64 iPhone 4 Oct 28, 2012 10:21 PM
Non Activated iPhone unlocks whoknows87 iPhone 9 Oct 2, 2012 11:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC