Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:21 PM   #126
Justinb51
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92se View Post
Does the restore need to be done IN iTunes to get the unlock confirmation? Or can you get the confirmation via an iCloud restore?
I believe you would have to do it in iTunes i do not believe that there will be a screen on the iphone that would give you that message.
Justinb51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:22 PM   #127
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
So what other carriers are offering nano sims to use with this multitude of newly unlocked phones?
T-Mobile, AT&T in the US (I read t mo sims are due in soon)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:34 PM   #128
tbaker00
macrumors member

What about for verizon? Can I unlock my i5 and then be able to use a at&t prepaid sim? Or any country that I travel to? What about a verizon 4s?
tbaker00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:36 PM   #129
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaker00 View Post
What about for verizon? Can I unlock my i5 and then be able to use a at&t prepaid sim? Or any country that I travel to? What about a verizon 4s?
Verizon's are already unlocked on the GSM side. There is a news thread on the boards on it. Not sure what country the bands will work on however.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:44 PM   #130
mytakeontech
macrumors 6502a

Just got iP5 unlocked from unlock fusion in under 2hrs.

I haven't restored it yet
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:59 PM   #131
snook911
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
Just a quick note to add I did the iTunes restore when I got home and indeed got the "Congratulations...." message so I think it's all good.
Can you restore from backup or do have to just restore from the main restore button? I have restored from back up twice but no message. In fact the iphone hung at the end both times. Had to disconnect it and do a hard reset to get it going again. The IMEI checker says its unlocked though.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:39 PM   #132
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook911 View Post
Can you restore from backup or do have to just restore from the main restore button? I have restored from back up twice but no message. In fact the iphone hung at the end both times. Had to disconnect it and do a hard reset to get it going again. The IMEI checker says its unlocked though.
You have to do a restore first...then after doing the restore you can recover from backup.

If you don't need the warm fuzzy screen showing you it's unlocked....just skip it. The restore process isn't necessary, it's just confirming the unlock for you.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:52 PM   #133
MBATF
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
Hmmm... My AT&T iP5 is showing "unlocked".... Could it be a mistake?
MBATF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:05 AM   #134
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBATF View Post
Hmmm... My AT&T iP5 is showing "unlocked".... Could it be a mistake?
When checking my 4S on here is was very accurate. I had checked mine about an hour before I received my email from unlock_fusion and my 4S was still locked. As soon as I got the email that it was unlocked, I checked again on that site and it said it was unlocked.
b-rad g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:44 AM   #135
rml4uk
macrumors member

I bought my 32GB iPhone 5 on launch day for $299.99 (fully subsidized price) and haven't paid for or requested an unlock, but I just checked my imei at http://dev.mk/iphone-simlock-status-imei-checker/ and it says that my phone is unlocked...

Now, the story behind my purchase is very convoluted (I called AT&T last Wednesday asking if I could get my upgrade eligibility bumped up for the iP5 and a rep told me to add a line to my account to get the subsidized price and then he would call me back and cancel the new line and waive the ETF. After dozens of calls and hours on the phone talking to reps who said he had lied, I finally talked to someone earlier this week who honored what he said and canceled the new line, transferred the iP5 to my old line and waived the $325 ETF) Maybe sometime during that process one of the reps inadvertently unlocked my phone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imei unlock.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	363957  
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #136
92jlee
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
I used to do unlocks in the UK through eBay and its not worth the hassle for the small reward. I'd get so many buyers claim back the money saying I didn't unlock their phones when I did. Plus paying my guy in the network to unlock them meant I made maybe 300 profit on 1500 a month. Not worth the time and effort.
92jlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:08 PM   #137
tigres
macrumors 68040

Got my unlock confirm emails this am.

Confirmed to work. Pretty nice....
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:35 PM   #138
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

If you file PayPal Chargeback or Credit Card Chargeback. I will deactivated your iPhone and deleted your iPhone IMEI from the system. By deactivated and delete your IMEI, your iPhone will be relock once you connect to iTunes. In addition, you cannot have access iPhone feature including "Apple Store App".-Yikes they must be really worried about charge backs lol
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:46 PM   #139
ryanmcv
macrumors 6502

Does the phone need to be restored in iTunes to complete the unlock process? Or is it the "Congratulations" screen nothing more than a confirmation message?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #140
greytmom
macrumors 68000

Ok, so these unlockers either have access to the database themselves, or are paying someone else who does have access, correct?

I have to think that the company probably wouldn't want their employees making money on the side by altering the company database... even though it's a relatively benign activity.

Don't get me wrong and start calling me names. I have NO issues with this activity and I may pay for an unlock of my 5 myself. But I wonder what might happen if the person gets caught... will all of these unlocks be reversed?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:05 PM   #141
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
Ok, so these unlockers either have access to the database themselves, or are paying someone else who does have access, correct?

I have to think that the company probably wouldn't want their employees making money on the side by altering the company database... even though it's a relatively benign activity.

Don't get me wrong and start calling me names. I have NO issues with this activity and I may pay for an unlock of my 5 myself. But I wonder what might happen if the person gets caught... will all of these unlocks be reversed?
Who knows for sure since we really don't know how it's done. I've wasted $9 on a lot dumber things, that much is certain!
Now my rant for the day: For the record, this whole 'lock' business bothers me beyond words. I'm not trying to cheat AT&T for their services here in the US-even though I AM frustrated with their crappy service. I'm traveling abroad to visit family. I've been an AT&T customer for a LOT of years. I had an iPhone 4 that died right before my contract ended and before the 5 came out, needed an iPhone so used up my 'upgrade' for a 4s. My account is current. I've never been late or dinged with any sort of fee for termination or anything like that. And my bill is well in excess of $100 a month. AT&T makes money off of me like I'm a printing press. I've explained all of this to the nice folks at AT&T and can't get them to unlock my old iPhone 4s, so I'm trying this. And I find all this especially galling now that the Verizon iPhone 5's are coming out unlocked...thanks for listening.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:09 PM   #142
greytmom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliii View Post
Who knows for sure since we really don't know how it's done. I've wasted $9 on a lot dumber things, that much is certain!
Now my rant for the day: For the record, this whole 'lock' business bothers me beyond words. I'm not trying to cheat AT&T for their services here in the US-even though I AM frustrated with their crappy service. I'm traveling abroad to visit family. I've been an AT&T customer for a LOT of years. I had an iPhone 4 that died right before my contract ended and before the 5 came out, needed an iPhone so used up my 'upgrade' for a 4s. My account is current. I've never been late or dinged with any sort of fee for termination or anything like that. And my bill is well in excess of $100 a month. AT&T makes money off of me like I'm a printing press. I've explained all of this to the nice folks at AT&T and can't get them to unlock my old iPhone 4s, so I'm trying this. And I find all this especially galling now that the Verizon iPhone 5's are coming out unlocked...thanks for listening.
I completely agree with you. There's absolutely no reason why phones should be locked. They can enforce your contract with or without a locked phone.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:12 PM   #143
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
T-Mobile, AT&T in the US (I read t mo sims are due in soon)
Umm due soon means not available. And unlocking an AT&T phone to put in another AT&T SIM seems futile.

What am I missing?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:29 PM   #144
Shaddow825
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Umm due soon means not available. And unlocking an AT&T phone to put in another AT&T SIM seems futile.

What am I missing?
A sim cutter or scissors will make a sim work in it. Also, I got it just because it was available and under $10. Who knows when it won't be available. These services have closed up before for months at a time and then the unlock becomes more valuable. And who knows when I might want to go overseas and get a prepaid sim with data to be able to look up things w/o wifi.
Shaddow825 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #145
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:

What am I missing?
I am not too certain t-mobile does not have them yet. I read sometime last week that they had the sims coming in. Along with the 3G spectrum push, and marketing services for iPhone - it's a start.

At least they are directly competing with AT&T - and doing so not even selling the device but supporting it on the network, in stores, and via tech support.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:10 PM   #146
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddow825 View Post
... who knows when I might want to go overseas and get a prepaid sim with data to be able to look up things w/o wifi.
Umm, ok. There's an awful lot of international travelers in Macrumors I guess...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #147
Simm0nS777
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm very weird. I just checked my IMEI # and it says it is unlocked. I am on AT&T and am still in contract and did not buy the iPhone at full price. No idea why mine would be unlocked?!?!???

edit: I did just receive a new iPhone from Apple because my first iPhone 5 had a major scratch on the back when I received it. I wonder if the new one they sent me is unlocked?
Simm0nS777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:19 PM   #148
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Umm, ok. There's an awful lot of international travelers in Macrumors I guess...
I travel internationally at least once a year...so yeah.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:19 PM   #149
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You doubting that?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:21 PM   #150
boshii
macrumors 68030

Quote:
$10 today could mean $100-$150 later when it comes to resale.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone