Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftynaut

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
so about a year ago i was overseas dealing with months and months of gevey ******** to unlock my iphone 4. then at&t announced they were unlocking iphones after contract. and now... now i see unlocking services on ebay and all over the web for $20-$40. how did this happen all of a sudden?

edit: i've always been on at&t

Last edited:

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
I don't know. But they seem to work.

People are figuring out how to do it and becoming resellers like crazy. I think the actual cost is like $4-$5.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I guess the carriers have realized it doesn't really matter, they still get their money. We still have to sign 2 year contracts and are subject to early termination fees regardless of the phone's lock status.
I got my 4S unlocked last week and my 5 done today (hopefully, I have to get home and restore in iTunes first). I used Unlock Fusion via eBay.

leftynaut

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
right but i'm just wondering how this is working. from a technical standpoint. like... how are people doing it now when they couldn't before... and why must i pay them? why can't i unlock my own phone?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
After hearing about unlock fusion - I decided to give it a whirl on my iPhone 5. Figured what the hell. 10 bux.

Just ordered it. We shall see.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Had my 4S unlocked for $7 last week.
I had my i5 unlocked yesterday for $18.
Well worth it IMO.
I love those ebay sellers:)

right but i'm just wondering how this is working. from a technical standpoint. like... how are people doing it now when they couldn't before... and why must i pay them? why can't i unlock my own phone?

Because you dont have access to enter an IMEI to Apple unlocked database.
Get a job working at a carrier that has the iphone and you can make some extra cash on the side:D

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
so about a year ago i was overseas dealing with months and months of gevey ******** to unlock my iphone 4. then at&t announced they were unlocking iphones after contract. and now... now i see unlocking services on ebay and all over the web for $20-$40. how did this happen all of a sudden?

edit: i've always been on at&t

I was thinking this exact thing earlier today. Where were all these unlocks a year ago when I needed them?!?!

I'm wondering if one of two things might happen:

1) The carriers start locking their systems down and the cheap unlocks go away
2) Locking in general becomes a thing of the past

----------

Well worth it IMO.

AT&T unlocked the 4S earlier today for free. Debating unlocking the 5 now just in case this all dries up.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
AT&T unlocked the 4S earlier today for free. Debating unlocking the 5 now just in case this all dries up.

I doubt it will dry up.
It will probably get cheaper a little down the road. But you never know, the prices are still very cheap so mind as well.
Its nice to have a factory unlocked iphone 5 for $199 under contract:)

After hearing about unlock fusion - I decided to give it a whirl on my iPhone 5. Figured what the hell. 10 bux.

He's legit bro.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
Yeah I feel the same way. The onslaught and amount of people making serious bank doing this is going to prompt some negative attention for sure.

Who knows. I know some people making $2000/day or more on this.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
From the Cydia blog:
"All these guys have actual access to the Apple database (or) have a solid contact within AT&T who does have access to it. To permanently remove carrier restrictions, they simple add your iPhone IMEI number in a white-list database of unlocked iPhones."

I just wish I could pay someone $10 for a permanent jailbreak!

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
From the Cydia blog:
"All these guys have actual access to the Apple database (or) have a solid contact within AT&T who does have access to it. To permanently remove carrier restrictions, they simple add your iPhone IMEI number in a white-list database of unlocked iPhones."

Unlock is not jail breaking

unlock means they can use any carrier.
Jailbreak means the user has gained root access and can install non signed code onto the device... In other words, apps that go around apples App Store n

leftynaut

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
From the Cydia blog:

this is what i was thinking. contacts at at&t who just add an imei number to the db and act like it was a regular customer request. i don't really need an unlock at the moment... but who knows... at&t could start to crack down on these employees making an extra profit off of them and put an end to this.

but knowing how much at&t likes money... maybe they're just doing it themselves :p

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Jailbreak means the user has gained root access and can install non signed code onto the device... In other words, apps that go around apples App Store n

They obviously know that, hence the wish.

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012

wooosh

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Well worth it IMO.
-snip-

Awesomesauce. I was wondering if this would work on the 5. I've used it on my 4 (duh) and a 4S. If only I could get a 5 without a contract maybe I would have considered it.

I was thinking this exact thing earlier today. Where were all these unlocks a year ago when I needed them?!?!

I'm wondering if one of two things might happen:

1) The carriers start locking their systems down and the cheap unlocks go away
2) Locking in general becomes a thing of the past

----------

I sincerely hope not. I hope AT&T gets their head out of the sand and offers this themselves. Hell, they could charge $36 (like the upgrade fee) for it and people would pay.

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
I put in a request to unlock mine cuz I was not under contract and got denied cuz of a technicality. I got a replacement iPhone 4 mid contract so they said you need to have the same iPhone for 2yrs. Dam B.S

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
The whole idea of locking subsidized phones baffles me. If they are worried about not recouping their investment, they need to structure the contract and ETF differently. Problem solved.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

it says $29.99 on their site. How did you get it for $10?

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Well worth it IMO.

Because you dont have access to enter an IMEI to Apple unlocked database.
Get a job working at a carrier that has the iphone and you can make some extra cash on the side:D

Do you run the risk of your phone been re-lock again? I'm very interested in doing this. TIA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.