Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muffinman3679

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Ok, so i was comparing my Retina macbook pro display to that of my friends retina macbook pro only to find that my screen was worse. The colours on my friends screen are amazingly deep and true and the blacks are the best iv'e seen on any display, where as my display is extremely bright and not so impressive, needless to say the difference is night and day and i want to know if there is something wrong with my screen.

>my screen is the same if not brighter then the standard macbook pro. also i have already tried calibrating etc etc.. mines samsung and his is a lg, and the difference is like comparing a crt monitor to a led screen..

Any help will be appreciated and I'm surprised no one else has had this issue so far.

Resolved: ok so i just found some extra calibrating settings and chose the Generic RGB profile setting and WOW. the colours are heaps better and the screens are a lot less different, after selecting this mode i am glad i got the samsung, awesome colours and brighter screen. !! really happy now :)

Last edited:

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
There are a lot of comments over here concerning this issues.

Samsung doesn't have IR, but the screen is not as good as the LG.

LG Displays are better in:
- Black Level
- clearer whites
- Better color saturation (better colors)
- better contrast

Samsung is better in:
- Brightness
- (nearly) no IR issues

muffinman3679

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Damn.. the difference is really big and i would happily have burn in and image retention for the lg, no way to complain or what not?

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Send it back with the reason that the "superb" display is not as superb as expected.

For me I don't think, that the samsung display is as good/superb as promoted.

The LG Display is really gorgeous. But the samsung is a "good/normal" retina display in my opinion.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I realize those stuck with LG displays need to justify its existence, but the Samsung display is every bit as vibrant. The blacks are very similar and the brightness levels (to my dismay) are also similar. I had several LG panels before I was able to procure a Sammy.. the panels are honestly very similar in all aspects, except for IR of course.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
There are a lot of comments over here concerning this issues.

Samsung doesn't have IR, but the screen is not as good as the LG.

LG Displays are better in:
- Black Level
- clearer whites
- Better color saturation (better colors)
- better contrast

Samsung is better in:
- Brightness
- (nearly) no IR issues

So are you saying that the Retina's with Model number that start with LN (LG) is better then LSN (Samsung)? Please explain.....

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I had both a samsung and a Samsung a LG panel and I can confirm that the LG has better blacks and contrast.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I had both a samsung and a Samsung a LG panel and I can confirm that the LG has better blacks and contrast.

So your saying LG panel is better...Now my question is how do you order the LG panel Retina??...I mean you can not call or tell them you want the LG panel Retina....mmmm

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I realize those stuck with LG displays need to justify its existence, but the Samsung display is every bit as vibrant. The blacks are very similar and the brightness levels (to my dismay) are also similar. I had several LG panels before I was able to procure a Sammy.. the panels are honestly very similar in all aspects, except for IR of course.

Every Samsung I have seen or owned had display uniformity issues. Yellow or pink on one side or darker on one side.

The LG I owned didn't, but was noticeably less bright and warmer. The colors definitely were more contrasty, but I wouldn't call the less brightness a win for the LG. I didn't find any image retention either, but I'm sure that would have developed.

I would take a uniform Samsung, but those don't exist. Retina Pros have really craptastic screens at this point, unless you happen to win the lottery.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So your saying LG panel is better...Now my question is how do you order the LG panel Retina??...I mean you can not call or tell them you want the LG panel Retina....mmmm

I didn't say it is better ;) They are both very good. But the LG seems to have better blacks. Of course, the LG also has the image retention issues, but most users won't notice them as they only become apparent under extreme, artificial circumstances (such as a prolonged IR test).

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Its amazing how views differ from one forum to the next, on the apple forums users are returning LG panels in the hope of getting a Samsung ( one guy had returned 8 retina Macbook Pros)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=3630&tstart=0

While at macrumors every one is desparately seeking an LG :confused:

Trust me, no one is desperately seeking an LG. Only a few people who are nuts in this thread are.

I've seen a bunch of Samsungs and they were all quite different from one another in color temperature, so it's pretty easy to see why people have different experiences with both panels.

muffinman3679

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
after further comparison I'm glad i ended up with the samsung, the lg is way to dark with games, gamma has to be adjusted for it to be playable.

Another problem i have noticed with my retina is that my gt 650m is actually performing worse then my intel hd 4000? anyone have any idea why that is, every time this occurs i am required to smc reset to get the gt 650m running fast again?

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Ok, so i was comparing my Retina macbook pro display to that of my friends retina macbook pro only to find that my screen was worse. The colours on my friends screen are amazingly deep and true and the blacks are the best iv'e seen on any display, where as my display is extremely bright and not so impressive, needless to say the difference is night and day and i want to know if there is something wrong with my screen.

>my screen is the same if not brighter then the standard macbook pro. also i have already tried calibrating etc etc.. mines samsung and his is a lg, and the difference is like comparing a crt monitor to a led screen..

Any help will be appreciated and I'm surprised no one else has had this issue so far.

Resolved: ok so i just found some extra calibrating settings and chose the Generic RGB profile setting and WOW. the colours are heaps better and the screens are a lot less different, after selecting this mode i am glad i got the samsung, awesome colours and brighter screen. !! really happy now :)

whated u use to calibrate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.