Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
confusedasdf
macrumors newbie

Why does my iphone 5 say 3G even though it's an LTE area?

I had a blackberry and switched to an iPhone on Verizon. I'm on the unlimited plan, which i think i was on for the blackberry. Am i supposed to switch to the 2GB plan? My city has LTE coverage but it just says "Verizon 3G". I tried resetting network settings and turning it to airplane mode, but nothing happened and it just returned back to 3G.
confusedasdf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Call Verizon up, It seems as though something isn't right with the account to allow for LTE access. SIM Card firmly seated, etc?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:56 PM   #3
confusedasdf
macrumors newbie

i'm going to call them up tomorrow. could this possibly be because of the unlimited plan i am on right now or is just a technical issue? i transferred an upgrade in order for me to upgrade to the iphone from the blackberry and kept the same plan i was on the blackberry for the iphone.
confusedasdf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
dbeard
macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with 4glte verizon

I just activated 2 iphone 5's last night. Both say 3g
called tech, 1st lady told me Chicago was not yet 4glte, I requested a tech as I did not switch carriers to pay more for the same. tech resent info, I reset my phone, did the latest update and connected to my wifi. Still 3g only.

not happy at all
dbeard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Is there any way to check and see if another LTE phone on a different line is getting LTE in your area? If they aren't either, then it's probably because there's no coverage by you.

Just because a carrier says a city has LTE, doesn't meant the WHOLE city is blanketed with it. Sprint users are finding that out that hard way.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I noticed that sometimes, particularly indoors, I only get HSPA+. Other times I get LTE. It could be the area or that walls block the LTE signal.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:16 PM   #7
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

maybe you're just not in the part of town that has LTE. ala sprint users. Could just go to your nearest Verizon store or try to reinsert your sim.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Braypa
macrumors newbie

I have Verizon and commute by train in NJ and have found that my iPhone 5 goes from no service to 3G to LTE depending on the town we are traveling through. It's normal to see 3G at times.
Braypa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone