Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anomac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Things in Indonesia are never as they seem. I thought I would share my frustrations by tapping on the keys. A suitable cathartic response to what has been a damn hot, drawn-out, traffic jam infused day on the road.

I did some research this morning, (sic) to get the retail price for a new 27" iMac, 3.1 Ghz. Top of the line, standard configure. The Indonesian online store had them at Rp19,999,000.

The store isn't really a store. Doesn't have the buy buttons, rather has links through to it's premium and authorized resellers. I wanted Premium thinking that they represent the brand on the ground rather than being someone who just stocks Apple products. Hhhmmm…

So I went to the first store, Infinite at Bali Galleria. They had a 3.1, 27 in stock I said fantastic, until I was told it was Rp22,000,000.

An additional 2 million, it was a decided bugger as I only had 20 mill on me, I had exhausted my daily withdraw limit. I wasn't getting any more money out of the ATM for the next 24 so headed for the other store PCMax on Imam Bonjol, thinking there was some mistake at the first place.

40 minutes and half a dozen traffic jams later I got to the next place. Only problem was they also wanted 22 mill. In the end I decided that I would just get it. No point wasting more of my time. The box came out and I was in for one more rude mistake. This product came loaded with Lion, not Mountain Lion. Even though the website, that would be http://store.apple.com/id/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac states nicely in the top corner that you can have Mountain Lion. Apparent no one had told the Apple stores as they said I had to take it. If I wanted 10.8 they would ring when it became available and I could buy it then. Yes buy it. Not even receive it once stock arrived.

There was other niggly bits like the inability to swap the magic mouse for a track pad. Had to take the wireless keyboard when I really wanted to take the extended Numeric keyboard.

Indo site doesn't have a feedback button on it. Page not found. So no avenue there to vent my spleen. Decided to come here and open up.

Sorry for waffling. If you enjoyed my rant and want to give us your experience I am more than happy to read about them.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    333.4 KB · Views: 221

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
LOL... I was in Indonesia this summer holiday! (Java and Bali)
Absolutely loved it.
Talk about traffic jams: Jakarta... :eek:

Back to your rant: was the price mentioned on the Apple Website without tax?

anomac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
LOL... I was in Indonesia this summer holiday! (Java and Bali)
Absolutely loved it.
Talk about traffic jams: Jakarta... :eek:

Back to your rant: was the price mentioned on the Apple Website without tax?

Good question. I had thought that ALL their sites were inc tax. Just checked and Indo is inc.

Go figure.

swdev

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Hi, I am Indonesianand stumble accross your post here. I am looking forward for the next iMac 2012, and, well, you can never depend on the price on the web itself. Need to confirm that in the store

ah yes, the traffic in Jakarta is worst..
:D

thanks,
eko

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Good question. I had thought that ALL their sites were inc tax. Just checked and Indo is inc.

Go figure.

I am in Bandung Java and had a problem with my Powerbook's G4 charger, while I was there I asked for the Mini's price, 10 Juta (million), WTF, I later checked the price on the Apple's Indonesian Site, 6.99 Juta.
Or they quoted the most expensive one or they just charge way more, I think the second is true.
Years ago, when there still was a lot of parallel import it was a lot cheaper, probably because no import taxes were paid.
If I need something Apple I buy it in Malaysia, just cross the border with Singapore and buy in JB or a couple of hours away in KL.
Malaysia is cheaper than SG except iPhone.

P.S. The charger was a pain to get, ended up buying a standard one and they swapped over the cable with connector, took 8 hours(shop to shop no have and eventually fixing it with non standard one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.