Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:30 AM   #51
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesap View Post
Apple are beginning to look really stupid over this.

Their maps are embarassingly bad - if they were on an Android phone they would be a laughing stock.

Really - Duncaster?

It reeks of arrogance
Nah. Already you see people that are actually using the maps saying it works. Eventually that will drown out the anti-maps propaganda campaign.

It's funny now, but it wont last, and will be completely out of steam within a couple of months, and that is just one of the many Hell's Google has nightmares about. Just wait until the app developers get their teeth into maps.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:31 AM   #52
entropys
macrumors regular

For those waiting for a google maps app: why? It can't because you rely on it to find your way to the exclusion of all other options. It might be OK while you have a network. But as soon as the network drops out you get no more maps.

If I was relying on a turn by turn app, I would (and did) get a proper navigation app where the maps are already on your phone. Like tomtom,navigon etc.

By the way, the google maps is pretty ordinary in a lot of country I travel too quite regularly, as it just doesn't get enough crowdsourced data. I haven't been there yet with the new apple maps, but I am sure it will be bad too. i am sure though, that eventually it will be comparable.

But seeing as I can only use both products when planning the trip (because there are no cell towers within cooee when I actually get there) I need a real turn by turn map with maps already on the device.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:32 AM   #53
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Surprised at that - I thought they'd take the opportunity in advance to take on another competition with Apple.
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:34 AM   #54
Tech198
macrumors 68040

No proof yet huh?? We were all fooled.

I just use Google Earth.... Ya, no turn-by-turn, but at least everthing is there.

By the way, when Google does realease the app to the store, do u think they may omitt turn-by-turn and Siri intergration?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:38 AM   #55
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Nah. Already you see people that are actually using the maps saying it works. Eventually that will drown out the anti-maps propaganda campaign.
And there are other people using it who say it doesn't work properly. The app has got promise but Apple need to fix the core mapping data for everyone before you can say "it works".
OllyW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:39 AM   #56
supertomtom
macrumors member

I don't know why so many people are defending Apple Maps based on their success on a few common routes they take. It's not like other people who are reporting problems are making things up, the inaccuracies and errors are there...refusing to acknowledge it won't make the app any better in the long run. Hoping Apple will eventually pull this off, but no point denying that it's just inadequate as a full release map app right now.

Next thing you know, people will be defending the lack of map detail as intentional "minimalist apple look".
supertomtom is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:41 AM   #57
entropys
macrumors regular

Quote:

It's funny now, but it wont last, and will be completely out of steam within a couple of months, and that is just one of the many Hell's Google has nightmares about. Just wait until the app developers get their teeth into maps.
Quite so. using google search and maps on iphone were the major source* of crowdsourced information to tailor mobile advertising for google (where they get the mobile revenue).
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:42 AM   #58
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
Yes, but Jobs said a lot of stuff, even sometimes to the point of totally contradicting himself months later.

That said of course, I have no doubt he had some real hate towards Google and/or Schmidt.
When did he contradict himself, can you please clarify this cause i've never ever seen him contradict himself about anything. I saw all his video's and read all the blogposts, and his biography. No contradiction anywhere.
Serelus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:43 AM   #59
Tech198
macrumors 68040

I'm all for Apple improving things in the long run, but till that day comes, we can use something else.

Does't affect me, coz i use TomTom app anyway, but it would affect those, or some reason they like using Apple's default stuff.

Howver, at the end if the day, the wrost thing that could also happen now is "not being an app".

*shrugs*

All these rumors have got me on edge...sorry...
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:45 AM   #60
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

Apples courtcase against samsung has done us a lot of hurt with new mapping software that isn't on par with googles, i hope they accept google maps and don't do another adobe flash.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:48 AM   #61
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesap View Post
It reeks of arrogance
Pfft, typical response by someone from Duncaster!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:51 AM   #62
-A-P-M-
macrumors newbie

Those people who are waiting for Google maps... you can buy Android and you will have Google Maps, Google Earth etc Apple didn't choose Google maps for iOS6, so Apple users should accept that IMO.
-A-P-M- is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:55 AM   #63
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixdas View Post
We all know that Steve Jobs was still around, that he wouldnt have released Apple Maps with iOS6.
We don't know that. You may have faith, you may believe, you may have an opinion, you may surmise, but you can't know something that didn't happen.

And it's never a true statement when you start with "we all." Some here have stated that Steve Jobs would have released Apple Maps with iOS 6, since he did release the iPhone 4 with antenna problems, and he did allow FCPX to be released. Since these people "know" something different, your assertion that we all agree is false by definition.
doelcm82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:04 AM   #64
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
I'm sure I heard this a few days ago - either way, it's better not to rush it out.
Just like Apple have done with their Map app!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindocanto View Post
Think of it this way... If people start jumping ship on iOS because the maps sucks, Google might win a few extra Android sales. They really have no reason to make an maps app for iOS. What benefit would they have?
Four of my friends have upgraded to iOS6 and are now looking at ditching Apple. One has ordered a Galaxy S3, one has cancelled his iPhone 5 order and the other two are waiting to have a play with the S3 that's on its way. Another friend (albeit a Facebook one) has posted a scathing attack and is asking how to go back to iOS5 to which there are a lot of similar replies.

"iOS 6 has knocked me back, in as much as two working applications have disappeared upon upgrade. YouTube has gone without a trace and with no warning and the previous map application, which worked well has been replaced with a very poor imitation!
Anyone know how I get back to the old maps?"

It's a tiny, tiny proportion, but in my world at least, the tide is changing and people are at least beginning to look past Apple to see what else there is.
tekno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:04 AM   #65
elvis12
macrumors newbie

The pictures say it all.
And the search function is terrible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde 1.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	362860   Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde 2.PNG
Views:	48
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	362861  
elvis12 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:06 AM   #66
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
I would never give my personal location data to Google. They will sell it to advertisers.
Why would they sell it? You can only sell data once but you can sell targeting based on it forever.
unlinked is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:07 AM   #67
roxxette
Banned

They dont need to release a app, some might say they going to do it on purpose lol because google is "evil" and apple is the victim....

Either way its not gonna be the same, the deep system integration its no longer possible.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:09 AM   #68
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbro View Post
I'm not updating to 6.0 until Google Maps is on the app store. It really is a deal breaker for me.
Not updating to iOS 6 and not buying new iPhone 5s until Google Maps is back.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:10 AM   #69
legatoboy
macrumors newbie

Just use a browser to access google map.
legatoboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:11 AM   #70
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbro View Post
I'm not updating to 6.0 until Google Maps is on the app store. It really is a deal breaker for me.
IMO pretty foolish reason not to update. The benifts out weight the negatives and really, do u honestly rely on the maps app that much?
iapplelove is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:12 AM   #71
bsolar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm sure it works... if you happen to live in an area with good quality maps. It's my understanding this is mostly the case in the USA, but here in Europe you can find countless places with very low quality or outdated maps. In my area Apple Maps is a disaster and definately not up to par with Google Maps.

I expect Apple to improve their maps in the future, it's a long term investment for them, but they definately rushed it. The end result is that right now they offer a very low quality experience compared to the competition.
bsolar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:19 AM   #72
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

It's funny now, but it wont last, and will be completely out of steam within a couple of months, and that is just one of the many Hell's Google has nightmares about.
I for one don't share your optimism.

If long time Apple users like me are thinking about switching to Android or Windows because we've lost a basic functionality that we depend on, what will people who have only owned an iPhone for a couple of years do?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:20 AM   #73
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
Over 100 million downloads of IOS 6. Charge $2.99 for the app. Get at least half of the people, maybe more. Mucho Dinero.
At "free" you'd get half the users, maybe. I have the google search app, though I rarely use it.

Of those users who would download it for free, many wouldn't buy it for $2.99 or even $.99. They'd say,
  • "How dare Google charge for something I can get for free using the web app! It's just Greed."
  • "I don't want Apple to get 30% of that money!"
  • "All the apps on my iPhone are free. I'm not breaking a perfect streak for this."
  • "Come to think of it, I don't use Maps that much, and Apple's version is getting better."
doelcm82 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:20 AM   #74
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

I found this laughable:
Serelus is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:21 AM   #75
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Funny how people can easily be brought into sides . yes you're experience is no different the anyone else so you know it all.

Quote:
Of course it wont last, people will just look for alternatives, as it still is fact that for a lot of people imaps lost a lot of its usability and functionality . When or if that will return is the question . Google nightmares? The incredible bad rap apple got because it SWITCHED from a google app was a dream come true? Apple screwed up from google perspective.
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion