Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:25 AM   #126
empire01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Most of the west of England only has very poor pixelated maps. Just been for a run using Runkeeper, the map of my run created is worse than useless.
I'm more than a little fed up with all this.
empire01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:25 AM   #127
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
I may be in the minority, but I actually like apple maps. Navigation works perfectly, and its nice and clean.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:25 AM   #128
Goratrix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Here is a good reason; Google make money out of maps or at least from the data they get from us all using their maps. They don't make any money out of Android, its the users data they need the platform is just a means to an end. If they introduce an iOS maps app now it will get downloaded by pretty much everyone using iOS 6, in a few months time, if Apple get busy, maybe not so many. Apple will be working hard now to fix their map data and its only a matter of time before their offering becomes usable. At this point Google will have missed the opportunity. It is unlikely that Apple would be able to refuse a Google maps app at the moment because of the public outcry if they did. When Apple maps gets better that is going to be an easier thing for them to do.
Well, there are two party false assumptions in this.

First, most of the people in this discussion are vastly underestimating the negative impact Apple Maps have worldwide. Parts of the USA may be ok, some maybe even better than Google Maps, but other countries are a disaster. People all around the world who used to depend on Google Maps on their iPhones will have a very tough time ahead of them.

Second, iOS does not have the same market presence worldwide as it has in the US. Therefore, a lot of US Apple fans assume, based on what they see in the US, that Google should strive to "convert" iOS users to Android. But worldwide, the situation is much different, as there are millions (billions) of users still using featurephones. And those are the ones that both Apple and Google are targeting the most. And when those millions of people will choose their first smartphone, they want one which has all the functionality they expect, including maps that cover their countries. And guess which one they will choose when they compare iOS and Android? The amount of users Google can gain this way (by maybe not releasing a iOS app) is much much bigger than what they can gain from current iOS users.
Goratrix is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:26 AM   #129
Dionte
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit
Send a message via ICQ to Dionte
I wonder what version of maps people are using in ios 6 because mine works great. Even in the betas.
Dionte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:27 AM   #130
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
Oh hell. So iOS6 users could be without mapping for months?
FFS. No! Because Apple Maps is included.

People who are whining about not updating to iOS6 until Google release an app, have any of you ACTUALLY used Apple maps? Or are you basing your opinions on that damn tumblr blog?!
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:27 AM   #131
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bath, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbro View Post
I'm not updating to 6.0 until Google Maps is on the app store. It really is a deal breaker for me.
Same.
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB on 4GEE
iPad 3G+WiFi 64GB
13" MacBook Air (2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB) - 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB)
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:31 AM   #132
xdext3r
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Canada is really BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by opq View Post
I live in Canada and the maps here have been pretty good
Umm no .. the maps in Ontario are REALLY BAD outside the GTA.

- In Ontario virtually all small towns north of Barrie are completely missing.
- Virtually all small towns south of Barrie put the pin in the wrong location.
- This makes it useless.

The new Maps Search feature is unable to find towns that the old maps could - and consistently provides really bad search results.

For example:
Searching for Alban Ontario drops a pin on "Albany Pizza" in Toronto when it should place a pin on the town of Alban Ontario.

2. It seems like most smaller towns in Ontario are missing or misplaced.

For example:
On the old maps a search for "Britt Station" shows the correct location in northern Ontario, on Apple Maps it drops a point on Iowa State USA which is not just wrong but in the wrong country as well !!!

3. Traffic overlays do not seem to work like it used to. I mean if you compare the traffic data from Google Maps it is almost totally different. Apple Maps says traffic is flowing smoothly, Google says there is congestion.

4. Pins don't seem to be centered in town. For example a search for Port Perry Ontario puts the pin on Scugog Island 10km outside of town.

5. There are no more walking trails. Ontario is loaded with walking trails - the Lake Ontario trail system, Durham forest etc. Apple Maps does not have walking trail data.

I could go on and on ... it's really bad in Canada outside of the cities. And in the cities the Pins never drop on the exact spot.
xdext3r is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:32 AM   #133
C.G.B. Spender
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGowan View Post
For those HERE on Macrumors that already had an iPhone, you KNEW that upgrading would put Apple's app on your phone and take Google's off. We're sauvy enough to know this. So don't complain now. If was your choice.

Personally, I'm glad Apple stood up for itself and is kicking Google to the curb as fast as they can, after what Google did to Apple. This is an inconvenience, sure. But it's one I feel I can work around until Apple's maps app gets better. And it will, if you people with problems use the crowd sourcing button to let Apple know the problems. So far, the app has worked for me just fine.

It's hard in this day and age to know what problems there really are when the typical response with all that is Apple is to make a Mountain out of a Mole Hill. It's the Boy who cried Wolf in so many instances that I just don't know what to think.
If Apple makes such a big deal out of it and then it turns out that half of that only works in select countries and on top of that maps are of very poor quality in quiter a few places and on top of that you can't even get a "so so" gps location.

This makes any application that uses maps useless rigth now for many people, including me.

Long story short: deliver or don't make it at all. Issues people are having usally should be fixed in the initial testing phase.
C.G.B. Spender is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:32 AM   #134
AppleInTheMud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vojens Denmark
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibi08 View Post
I'm surprised Google haven't moved quicker on this, if they wait too long then they will lose momentum from the iOS 6 launch. People might actually.... and I have some difficulty saying this.... get used to Apple Maps!

Get used to Apple Maps??? Would you get used to drive your car without the wheels ? I dont think so.

Apple Maps is worth quality that stuff that was there in the late 90'ths
AppleInTheMud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:32 AM   #135
OzyOly
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Apple really should have kept Google maps until their own version was at least useable. It's my one gripe about the new phone...The maps are utterly useless...Why incorporate a BETA version in IOS6? Would have been better to wait and polish the app first.

In my area of the UK the images are truly appalling, I would have happily waited until they had produced something of good quality...It's not as if they don't have the resources, but building a large image database takes time...Remember all those Google trucks?..
They probably knew where 'Duncaster' was.
__________________
| MacBook Pro Retina | iPhone 6 | iPad rMini LTE | 1Gbps Internet |
OzyOly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:34 AM   #136
mw360
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
If I were Google, I'd not submit any app at all.
And thats why you're not Google. Try to remember what Google sells, and where they get it from.
mw360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:36 AM   #137
AppleInTheMud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vojens Denmark
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
FFS. No! Because Apple Maps is included.

People who are whining about not updating to iOS6 until Google release an app, have any of you ACTUALLY used Apple maps? Or are you basing your opinions on that damn tumblr blog?!
I used Google Maps everyday. So yes I used Apple Maps - and it's worhtless. So now Im on Galaxy S3 for everydag use till they get it fixed. See no reason not to. iPhone has nothing it doenst.

I'll stay with iPhone 4S - the longer screen on the iPhone 5 (yes I have one) is just dumb to handle. Why make it longer and not wider? Photos CRAP - Apps CRAP... Video... Okay. The rest just dumb :-/ And on photos it looks good. In real life it just looks as a joke :-/

But my daugther is happy - she got the 5 :-) And she likes everything about it. Damn fangirl :-D
AppleInTheMud is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:37 AM   #138
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
People who are whining about not updating to iOS6 until Google release an app, have any of you ACTUALLY used Apple maps? Or are you basing your opinions on that damn tumblr blog?!
No. The people who are bashing maps are just bandwagoners who hate Apple and can't form opinions for themselves.

I USED IT TO GO DOWN THE STREET THE OTHER DAY AND IT WAS PERFECT!
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:38 AM   #139
inlinevolvo
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Apple maps is pretty much useless, because I simply don't trust it to give me accurate information. I got lost over the weekend using apple maps and had to use google maps via safari to get me where I needed to go. Disappointed that apple decided to punish google at the expense of the user experience
inlinevolvo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:39 AM   #140
a0me
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
FFS. No! Because Apple Maps is included.
Apple Maps are completely unusable were I live.
Quote:
People who are whining about not updating to iOS6 until Google release an app, have any of you ACTUALLY used Apple maps?
I tried Apple Maps with a friend's iPhone 4S updated to iOS 6 (they're probably switching to Android since they can't restore their iPhone back to iOS 5) and on an actual iPhone 5 in store. Apple Maps feels faster than the iOS 5 Maps but the map itself is completely unusable.
__________________
iMac 24"; MacBook Pro 15"; iPhone 4; iPhone 5s; iPod touch; tv
a0me is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:41 AM   #141
C.G.B. Spender
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
Apple maps is pretty much useless, because I simply don't trust it to give me accurate information. I got lost over the weekend using apple maps and had to use google maps via safari to get me where I needed to go. Disappointed that apple decided to punish google at the expense of the user experience
Beta testing at its finest.

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 25, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Name calling
C.G.B. Spender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:42 AM   #142
Kelmon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via ICQ to Kelmon Send a message via AIM to Kelmon Send a message via MSN to Kelmon Send a message via Yahoo to Kelmon Send a message via Skype™ to Kelmon
My own bugbear with Apple Maps is that major town names are entirely missing but yet it displays tiny villages OK. I'm living in Kenilworth (UK) and around the immediate area we have Leamington Spa, Warwick and Stratford-On-Avon. Of these only Leamington is actually shown and even then its "Royal Spa", which won't appear on any sign posts. The only other places shown are little villages, like Stoneleigh and Hatton, both of which are "blink and you'll miss it" in size. How on earth can something so basic as showing major towns not have been implemented?

I tend to think that your own mileage with Maps depends on where you live. However, for my local area they are pretty useless.

I'm not about to jump ship to Android but Apple does have 1-year to get the matter sorted out to an acceptable level. After that my contract will have expired and I'll be choosing a new phone. Normally I wouldn't consider Android but this issue really does give pause for thought.
Kelmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:43 AM   #143
xdext3r
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Talked to Apple Support About It

When I asked support why a search for "Priceville Ontario" dropped a pin on "Riceville Rd." about 800 miles west of the actual town of Priceville Ontario Apple Support told me to go to Settings and reset my location services and try again!!!

Then they suggested I click on report a problem and then drag the pin to the correct location - but the program switches over to satellite view at that point.

Unfortunately north of Toronto Ontario most of the satellite view is in black and white and really blurry. So this makes it impossible to actually drag the pin to the correct location to report a problem!!!!
xdext3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:46 AM   #144
mw360
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdext3r View Post
When I asked support why a search for "Priceville Ontario" dropped a pin on "Riceville Rd." about 800 miles west of the actual town of Priceville Ontario Apple Support told me to go to Settings and resent my location services and try again!!!
Lots of people resenting their location services at the moment.
mw360 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:47 AM   #145
xdext3r
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
I wonder what version of maps people are using in ios 6 because mine works great. Even in the betas.
Don't bother crossing the border into Ontario ... maps may send you hundreds of miles out of your way ... sounds like it's great in the USA but really poor everywhere else including your neighbours here in Canada.
xdext3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:51 AM   #146
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
No. The people who are bashing maps are just bandwagoners who hate Apple and can't form opinions for themselves.

I USED IT TO GO DOWN THE STREET THE OTHER DAY AND IT WAS PERFECT!
Sorry to hop in on your argument here but have you considered the possibility that just because it works in your area, it doesnt mean it works everywhere else.

Take the UK - it's not just slightly inaccurate here and there, its plain wrong. They have towns 50+ miles away from where they are supposed to be, they havent even bothered to map residential streets in some towns.

The whole 'fine for me' argument doesn't wash. It's been proven to be wildly inaccurate for a hell of a lot of areas.

Even the biggest koolaid drinker must admit that Apple Maps, in its current form is a complete mess.

If it had been released as a Beta, then I'd have a bit more sympathy for Apple, but they released it as a finished product, and marketed the crap out of it, knowing full well that it was nowhere near good enough.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:52 AM   #147
iZac
macrumors 65816
 
iZac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shanghai
We need you Google, you are our only hope in the mapping wars!

If Microsoft was smart, they would already have a dedicated Bing Maps app on iOS, because while I always use Googles maps, I have to admit that Microsofts rotating "birds eye" aerials (although not perfect) are very useful, and a unique feature.
__________________
Robert Goulden
http://www.robgoulden.com
iZac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:55 AM   #148
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
I'm sure I heard this a few days ago - either way, it's better not to rush it out.
Yeah, because rushing something as important as a Maps service before it's ready would be idiotic. (I'm looking at you, Apple)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
I don't know why so many people are defending Apple Maps based on their success on a few common routes they take. It's not like other people who are reporting problems are making things up, the inaccuracies and errors are there...refusing to acknowledge it won't make the app any better in the long run. Hoping Apple will eventually pull this off, but no point denying that it's just inadequate as a full release map app right now.

Next thing you know, people will be defending the lack of map detail as intentional "minimalist apple look".
I continue to be amazed at the emotional investment these fanboys have for Apple and how they can turn a blind eye and defend even the worst missteps by Apple. Definitely akin to a religious cult. Very sad indeed.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:57 AM   #149
chaosconan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Android is free, Google services are not free.
Google services like Map api's may be free for those that are not for profit, but definitely not for big companies like Apple.
chaosconan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:00 AM   #150
jgbr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Oh come on Google.

I am disgusted at how bad apple maps is, in my part of the world it is unusable compared to when i used g maps when it was perfect.

It's ruined the ios6 experience for me.
jgbr is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Removes Google+ Local App From the App Store Following Integration into Google Maps MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 18 Jul 31, 2013 11:47 PM
Google Employees Suggest Apple Approval of Google Maps App 'Unlikely' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 253 Nov 7, 2012 02:45 AM
Eric Schmidt: Google Hasnít Submitted A Native Google Maps App To Apple (Yet) mcfinch iPhone 4 Sep 25, 2012 03:12 AM
Google Said to Have Already Submitted Native iOS Maps App to Apple [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 261 Sep 22, 2012 12:23 PM
Google submitted new maps app to the app store? Nope. D-Back iOS 6 2 Sep 20, 2012 08:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC