Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:28 AM   #26
bmwhd
macrumors 6502a
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
yeah, that is definitely your fault, but at the same time they do nick really easy. I have seen a few drop videos and one drop on concrete to the black makes it look like hell. With the 4/4S you could drop it and the metal wouldn't look too bad, but with the 5 you are foooked. Granted we all should know and expect this....going naked is a risk I am willing to take.
I disagree. Our 2 black have had no issues. There's no evidence yet that all black iP5s are "foooked". What we have seen is a manufacturing/shipping issue that has resulted in a bunch of people getting jacked out of the box but there's very little evidence of a systemic problem with the iP5's design.

My iPhone 4's silver band got scuffed to hell by the first case I ever put on it and dinged to ***** when I dropped it on concrete (as expected). It was a miracle the glass didn't shatter. I'll take a ding or scuff in the back and sides of the new one over broken glass any day.
bmwhd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:31 AM   #27
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

It was all perfect until last night, then my iPhone landed ON A CARPET and a tiny bit of a loose stone scuffed the living hell out of it.

I now fully understand the problems, bit of a joke frankly. Going to the Apple Store today to give them hell.

I want a swapout and a white replacement.
I dropped mine ON A PILLOW and a tiny wood chipper ate it up. Apple blows!
sulpfiction is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:33 AM   #28
quanb24
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Perfect no scratches or nuffin still might get a case I see how things look towards the end of the week
quanb24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:52 AM   #29
JesalTV
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
So let me make sure I've got this right: your phone shipped fine, you dropped it and scratched it, but it's somehow Apple's fault, so now you want a replacement and a different color on top of that?

Your entitlement is stuff Mitt Romney secret videos are made of. (I realize you probably don't get that, but you can look it up.)
Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Realise that I paid 600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).
JesalTV is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:55 AM   #30
bova80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Realise that I paid 600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).
define scuffed to hell? you yourself said it hit a stone in your carpet, so maybe you should keep your house clean, is it apple's fault your carpet has rocks in it?

if you think you should get better for your money why are you exchanging it for another one? what happens if you drop that one and the same thing happens?

I think if you don't make a claim to apple about a scuff on your phone within a day of receiving the phone you shouldn't be entitled to a replacement.
bova80 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:58 AM   #31
simply stunning
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I have the white, and it has its on pocket in my pants. So far so good. Not scratched or dented.
simply stunning is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:58 AM   #32
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God
 
AustinIllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
define scuffed to hell? you yourself said it hit a stone in your carpet, so maybe you should keep your house clean, is it apple's fault your carpet has rocks in it?

if you think you should get better for your money why are you exchanging it for another one? what happens if you drop that one and the same thing happens?

I think if you don't make a claim to apple about a scuff on your phone within a day of receiving the phone you shouldn't be entitled to a replacement.
I think he means he was stoned and threw it on the carpet.
__________________
Victory ILLINOIS Varsity!
Early 2011 13" MBP iPad Mini Retina 32 GB Google Nexus 5
AustinIllini is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:58 AM   #33
BlueKhufu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic0 View Post
I thought that the slate on the rear of the black variant would easily mark. Is this not the case then?
Not a mark on my launch day black (week 33) 32gb. Naked as a baby and staying that way. While I don't toss it around like a wrench in a tool box I'm not crazy protective with it either. I was nervous after the reports but my experience has been just the opposite and I'm over the ultra cautious phase with it already and just USE it.
BlueKhufu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:58 AM   #34
foobi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Going naked and everything is good
foobi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:59 AM   #35
zhandri
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany
no scuffs are any damages yet. mine was 99,9% flawless out of the box. but man i've been careful not touching it with more than 3 fingers

zhandri is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:07 AM   #36
Nahaz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia
No glove, No iPhone 5 love
Nahaz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:13 AM   #37
Benito
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Still naked and perfect. Couldn't be happier, this even after letting horde of friends touch its naked aluminum and glass skin.
Benito is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:13 AM   #38
trssho
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/like...ar-is-b-146425

Looks cool to me...... but yea, dont want mine to look like that!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I think many treated their iPhone 5 as they treated their 4 or 4s but the thing to remember is... Glass is hard, like really hard and aluminium while light is very VERY soft.

Steve Jobs selected Stainless steel on the iP4 because he said it looks beautiful as it wears. Aluminium not so much.

It will scratch and it will scuff but unless you wrap your entire life in plastic this will be the case. Do you put those plastic covers on your sofa?

I used to use screen protectors and cases and do anything I could to protect my phone, the problem is it doesnt look like the beautiful phone you once had anymore. Naked it is for me and my black model still looks good. Just dont go putting it in your pocket with keys or loose change.
trssho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:15 AM   #39
johndallas999
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
So let me make sure I've got this right: your phone shipped fine, you dropped it and scratched it, but it's somehow Apple's fault, so now you want a replacement and a different color on top of that?

Your entitlement is stuff Mitt Romney secret videos are made of. (I realize you probably don't get that, but you can look it up.)
I'm not sure I get your point, it shouldn't get scratched that easily IMO so I agree, take it back. I wish we could leave politics out of this crap.
johndallas999 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:17 AM   #40
bova80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
I'm not sure I get your point, it shouldn't get scratched that easily IMO so I agree, take it back. I wish we could leave politics out of this crap.
it hit a rock, it's not like it hit pure carpet and scratched. and if you think one scratched that easily why return it for another, it will do the same thing.

why should they replace something that is his fault? if you throw a rock at your car and it scratches the paint are you going to take it back to the dealer and say repaint this?
bova80 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:20 AM   #41
dannys1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK
Ive never had a single cover, screen protector or any other cheap crap on any iPhone and I've owned the first one since the minute it was released in the UK.

Why on earth ruin Jonny Ives expertise by wrapping it in some cheap ugly Chinese crap? I never understand people who are obsessed with cases, you're worried about a scratch yet your phone looks like ***** the entire time you own it!

Use it the way its supposed to be used.
__________________
iMac 27" Raid0 SSD Vertex 3 MAX IOPS (240gb 1000mbps R&W) 16gb ram rMBP 2.8ghz i7 16gb ram Mac mini Server iPad mini Retina iPhone 5S Grey
dannys1 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:23 AM   #42
jazz1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
Ive never had a single cover, screen protector or any other cheap crap on any iPhone and I've owned the first one since the minute it was released in the UK.

Why on earth ruin Jonny Ives expertise by wrapping it in some cheap ugly Chinese crap? I never understand people who are obsessed with cases, you're worried about a scratch yet your phone looks like ***** the entire time you own it!

Use it the way its supposed to be used.
Jonny probably gets to pull a new one out of a box everyday
jazz1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:29 AM   #43
tek1972
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island
Mine went into an otter box defender the second it was opened for two reasons.

1. I'll be selling it for $450 to buy my early upgrade for the 5s and would like to keep it like new.

2. I have a 2 year old, need I say more? Lol
tek1972 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:32 AM   #44
ninethirty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Realize that my platinum wedding band (or most jewelry for that matter) cost far more than your phone, and only one year in, is scratched and scuffed to all hell and back. I expect that from metal.

You should have too. You dropped it. Your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Realise that I paid 600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).
ninethirty is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:42 AM   #45
flashflooder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I've been babying my black (it gets it's own pocket, etc, etc) and I've got about a dozen bare spots on the bezel. They're tiny, but they're there.
flashflooder is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:44 AM   #46
ZhenyaF
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
My wife's and my black iphone 5's are still ok
__________________
15" rMBP;TV2; Mine- iPhone 5 - 64GB/Black and iPad rMini 16gb/wifi; Wife's - iPhone 5s 32GB/Slate and iPad air 16GB/Wifi
ZhenyaF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:44 AM   #47
lordhamster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

It was all perfect until last night, then my iPhone landed ON A CARPET and a tiny bit of a loose stone scuffed the living hell out of it.

I now fully understand the problems, bit of a joke frankly. Going to the Apple Store today to give them hell.

I want a swapout and a white replacement.
I backed my car into a pole and the paint job got scratched. I'm taking this lemon back to the dealer!
lordhamster is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:49 AM   #48
nfl46
macrumors 601
 
nfl46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I don't see how people use their iPhone without a case when they are outside. I'll be too scared to drop it then have to pay another $300ish for a screen.
__________________
| 16GB Apple iPhone 5 | 13" Macbook Pro | Apple TV 2 | 16GB Nexus 5 |
nfl46 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:53 AM   #49
Sheza
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK
Looks fine to me. I plan to get a back-protector like a Zagg Shield or something at the most. I had an iPhone 4 for 2 years without a screen protector, scratch free!
__________________
Apple Product History
iPod Touch 3rd Gen - 32GB (Sold)| iPhone 4 - 16GB (Black) (Sold) | iPhone 5 - 16GB (Black & Slate)
Sheza is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:57 AM   #50
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
I disagree. Our 2 black have had no issues. There's no evidence yet that all black iP5s are "foooked". What we have seen is a manufacturing/shipping issue that has resulted in a bunch of people getting jacked out of the box but there's very little evidence of a systemic problem with the iP5's design.

My iPhone 4's silver band got scuffed to hell by the first case I ever put on it and dinged to ***** when I dropped it on concrete (as expected). It was a miracle the glass didn't shatter. I'll take a ding or scuff in the back and sides of the new one over broken glass any day.
I think no matter how well it is holding up, if we drop them on concrete they are going to chip and that white/silver will bleed through like a bastard!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I don't see how people use their iPhone without a case when they are outside. I'll be too scared to drop it then have to pay another $300ish for a screen.
applecare+....and an iphone screen is usually around a $100 repair from a local shop.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want my new iphone 5 to be naked dotcotton iPhone 118 May 7, 2013 10:23 PM
How are naked black iPhone 5's holding up ~6 months later? jqc iPhone 39 May 4, 2013 02:56 PM
59 Days In - Those with NAKED iPhone 5 devices - How's it holding up? 1080p iPhone 51 Nov 20, 2012 01:30 AM
How is your naked White iPhone 5 holding up? xRaZor912 iPhone 3 Nov 3, 2012 03:57 AM
Do you use your iPhone naked? hunterheath33 iPhone 6 Aug 9, 2012 09:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC