Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:16 PM   #101
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
How are they making it out to be more fragile than it really is when it's damaged out of the box??? It can not even be put together without damage.
i dropped mine on accident, and even took a key lightly to the back of it and there was no silver aluminum showing.

mine was just fine out of the box as many others.
god knows what happen to it, to cause it to be scratched when being built.

could be a careless employee, faulty anodizing the metal or w/e.

i know there is issues with some devices.. but this is no different than the "tint" issues on the ipad 3. People are making it out to be more grand than what it really is.

edit* im not saying its okay for them to be scratched out of the box..

Last edited by BFizzzle; Sep 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:19 PM   #102
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

My case won't arrive for another three weeks, so I'm going commando right now. I've been much more careful with the iP5, even sometimes using a microfiber pouch that came with a pair of sunglasses. So far, so good, but reading the posts on here has to strike fear in the heart of the caseless.
Cartaphilus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:22 PM   #103
Soulman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
It's still in the box, so its perfect
Mine is out the box in a holster and I still have the shipping plastic on it, I have not activated it yet maybe this evening. My new cover has been delivered by amazon to the job and I'll activate it up this evening.
Soulman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:22 PM   #104
khrystafir
macrumors newbie

Got my black 32GB on Friday, been carrying it w/o case ever since, and will continue to do so until I get a new phone. That's what I did with my iPhone 4, and it still looks like a beauty. Plus I love the feel of the glass an aluminum--why take that away with a case?
khrystafir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:33 PM   #105
d123
macrumors 65816

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.
[/quote]

Have you considered going to a lawyer? I mean, you could be on a good thing here. You could sue
(a) the carpet maker, stones shouldn't be able to get trapped in a carpet.
(b) the maker of your vacuum cleaner, it should suck any stones out of your carpet.
(c) your wife/mother/partner for not vacuuming the house properly
(d) Apple, they should have known you were intending dropping your phone onto stones and coated the phone in that special chip paint they use on cars
(e) God, for creating stones.

Or, just maybe, realise you dropped the phone and accept you dropped it, no one else is at fault JUST you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
Realise that I paid 600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.
Why should it matter what the phone cost you, what it costs Apple to make and PLEASE "consumer rights"! Since when was there a "consumer right" to protection from your own stupidity or clumsiness?
d123 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #106
impulse462
macrumors 65816

I've had each iphone and I've used them all naked. I've really only had one huge scratch on my 3GS...I yanked my headphones out of my pocket at the precise angle and my phone went flying 7 feet in the air and landed on concrete.

As for the iPhone 5, I'll probably treat it the way I treated my 4/4S; just be careful with it, and dedicate a pocket alone for it. I know too many people who put their iPhone in the same pocket as their keys and they keep wondering where their scratches are coming from.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:39 PM   #107
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

No issues so far. Flawless out of the box. In and out of my pockets since Friday as well as being handled by curious friends and coworkers. It even fell out of my jacket pocket as I got of my car, falling into the center console. No case and no nicks or damage yet. I figure a sharpie will do the trick if I ever get any scratches.
Buckeyestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:44 PM   #108
Chic0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lick View Post
No you toolbag the dude I was responding too said he was using an old leather case on his. Dunno whats crazy about a wallet case, if your gonna stick a bulky case on your phone might as well get some function out of it.
Toolbag? lol.....You must be all of 10years old

I don't get why you'd want to stick a bulky case on this phone anyway. I mean standard cases I can kind of understand, but bulky cases that are significantly larger and hide the beauty of the design are just hidious IMO. Each to their own.
Chic0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:46 PM   #109
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Who is returning it weeks later? When you take possession of a new car and find defects, 90% of people would demand it be fixed. Damage out of the box is the issue. Poor durability is secondary.
What do you mean "poor durability"?

Your phone is a tool.

Do these scratches impact your ability to use that tool?
No.

Do these scratches decrease the lifespan of your tool?
No.

So whats the issue?
ThisIsNotMe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:56 PM   #110
mzd
macrumors 6502a

so far so good.
white version

www.theclothsea.com
mzd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:08 PM   #111
Scott6666
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I went to the Apple Store last night and looked closely at every single phone on display.

NONE of them (white or black) had any scuffs, or scratches on the back or the sides.

I even did a few tests on the edges of the table, and the surface. Nothing.

These phones are not nearly as fragile as I first thought they were from reading everything on here.
Did exactly the same thing with same results. Scuff gate might be quite a bit overblown. Not a total non-issue but maybe not he norm as described here.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:21 PM   #112
bpeeps
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomirrivera View Post
You can't be serious!
At least one person was.
bpeeps is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:24 PM   #113
noobinator
macrumors 6502a

I'd love to find out what a scuff/scratched iPhone is worth compared to a Pristine one. Let's do some math based on my best estimates.

Sell pristine iPhone 4s 16gb one month ago for $450 (??)
Sell slightly scuffed but not beat to crap iphone 4s 16gb for $300 (low end)

$150 more
- $ 30 case (and who buys just 1 case)
--------------
$120 more in pristine condition
divided by 12 months
$10 more per month or approximately $0.33/per day

So is it worth having a cased up iPhone and not enjoy the naked beauty of it for at a maximum cost of $0.33/day (and quite possibly much less)?

I think I've convinced myself to go naked...
noobinator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:25 PM   #114
Megad00mer
macrumors newbie

Got my black 16gb on Friday. Still naked and pristine. I have no intentions of getting a case at the moment. I have a dedicated pocket for my phone and handle it with care when it's out. I have a microfiber cloth on my work desk that I place it on.

I'm sure in the next two years I'll drop it, bang it, whatever. It'll get scuffed and I'll be pissed. Then I'll either get over it and move on with my life, or use that apple care+ i bought and swap it out.

Either way, I love the thinness and look too much to cover it up.
Megad00mer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:08 PM   #115
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
I'm not sure I get your point, it shouldn't get scratched that easily IMO so I agree, take it back. I wish we could leave politics out of this crap.
I agree with this. The consumer is 100% in the right in this case. A simple drop on carpet should not cause this type of damage, rock or not.

The reason I say this is because Apple ENCOURAGES you not to case your phone because the phone is TOUGH ENOUGH NOT TO NEED A CASE.

If you are going to make that claim...and they proudly do...then you should replace phones that don't hold up to user satisfaction within a reasonable time frame.

Apple needs to replace that phone, period.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Fixed.

You keep focusing on the fact you dropped it on the carpet, yet seem to be completely ignorant of the fact you actually dropped it on a stone.

Why aren't you focusing so much on the stone you dropped it on?

Quit bitching and acting like a little girl. You screwed it up, deal with it. Nobody in this country knows how to take personal responsibility for anything, it's always someone else's fault.
Except, in this case, it is Apple's fault. The phone should perform better than that under mild duress.
cardinalryan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:09 PM   #116
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Mine was fine until I noticed two small half inch long scratches along the edge.

Think a black sharpie should cover them fine - annoying though. Specially because the case I had for my phone was recalled and the replacement gets in tomorrow. Sigh.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:36 PM   #117
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
What do you mean "poor durability"?

Your phone is a tool.

Do these scratches impact your ability to use that tool?
No.

Do these scratches decrease the lifespan of your tool?
No.

So whats the issue?
Says you. Scratches devalue the phone. The phone is devalued before even being used once in many of these cases.
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:57 PM   #118
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Says you. Scratches devalue the phone. The phone is devalued before even being used once in many of these cases.
Like I said, a phone is a tool not an investment.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:03 PM   #119
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Mine still looks great. I have a pouch that originally came with the Samsung Instinct but happened to fit my iPhone 4 perfectly. So I keep my 5 in it as well. The top sticks out a little, but it'll work until Sena starts shipping their pouches and Power Support ships the crystal film.
rwilliams is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:06 PM   #120
spring
macrumors regular

Mine came flawless, but now there is a 1mm scratch on the chamfered part next to the ringer switch. There is a bit of silver showing, I guess from toggling the ringer switch.
spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:07 PM   #121
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Like I said, a phone is a tool not an investment.
To you. Not to many other people who count on the resell value to upgrade later on. I respect your opinion that it's a tool, now try doing the same who have differing opinions.
Rocko1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:48 PM   #122
Stadashic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
To you. Not to many other people who count on the resell value to upgrade later on. I respect your opinion that it's a tool, now try doing the same who have differing opinions.
Counting on the resale value of a phone doesn't make it an investment. Your buying your iphone to be used, it is a tool. I hope your not buying it as an investment because that would be like buying a new car and saying it is an investment. Maybe you could say buying an iphone is an investment if you look at it like the phones features will save you time and money, but thats irrelevant to how your saying the iphone is an investment. Its a tool and its meant to be used, if your counting on the resale value small scratches are hardly worth fretting over.
Stadashic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:52 PM   #123
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502

went 2 years with my iPhone 4 and let her go nude the whole time....plan to do the same with my newer sexier version. If she gets a little wrinkly along the way I may put some makeup on her
GuitarDTO is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:59 PM   #124
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Realise that I paid 600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).
Maybe instead of buying expensive phones, you should invest in a vacuum to get all those stones in your carpet.
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:00 PM   #125
articulatefool
macrumors regular

I have been going bare-back with my white one and am still pristine.
articulatefool is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone