Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1
mzjin
macrumors 6502

Day 1 on the Galaxy S3 - wow, um... so behind

Let's see where to start...

Positives? Big screen. 4G LTE free tethering apps. Way better Google Voice integration. 4G talk + data at the same time (comes in handy when you're waiting on for customer support or something).

Everything else? Some bad, some REALLY bad:

1) Display has awful color shifts - there is simply no "perfect" viewing angle. The center is warmer than the top and bottom. The display is also incapable of displaying a white background, the best it gets is a vague light yellow.

2) Responsiveness. Still a year behind the 4S, probably 2 years behind the 5. Jelly bean can't come soon enough.

3) Stability. Play Store crashed multiple times. Flipboard is unresponsive on launch. Even Gmail has crashed a few times already.

4) Autobrightness is a joke - needed to pay for a $2.99 app for a function that should have been perfected on the phone.

5) Audio quality - Hiss hiss hiss on quiet songs. Wow, you don't notice these quality issues you give up on these things until you're not using an iPHone anymore.

I won't get into app disparity, build quality or anything, but by itself, the GS3 is just so far behind software and hardware wise, it's really sad. Being returned, and back to considering another iPHone 5.
mzjin is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Think id take It back and get another since i cant agree with any of that
Vegastouch is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
nestafaria
macrumors member

I agree with brightness issues and the overall screen is mediocre, besides being larger its a step down from iphone 4. I didn't have any other issues with the phone.
nestafaria is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
The iGentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjin View Post

Positives? Big screen. 4G LTE free tethering apps. Way better Google Voice integration. 4G talk + data at the same time (comes in handy when you're waiting on for customer support or something).

1) Display has awful color shifts - there is simply no "perfect" viewing angle. The center is warmer than the top and bottom. The display is also incapable of displaying a white background, the best it gets is a vague light yellow.

2) Responsiveness. Still a year behind the 4S, probably 2 years behind the 5. Jelly bean can't come soon enough.

3) Stability. Play Store crashed multiple times. Flipboard is unresponsive on launch. Even Gmail has crashed a few times already.

4) Autobrightness is a joke - needed to pay for a $2.99 app for a function that should have been perfected on the phone.

5) Audio quality - Hiss hiss hiss on quiet songs. Wow, you don't notice these quality issues you give up on these things until you're not using an iPHone anymore.

I won't get into app disparity, build quality or anything, but by itself, the GS3 is just so far behind software and hardware wise, it's really sad. Being returned, and back to considering another iPHone 5.
lol, that's what I think of the iPhone 5...a new phone that doesn't even match what's already available on the market. It's still a year behind...
The iGentleman is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 AM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Take it back, it's broken. Non of the above is in line with my experiences with the phone.
daveathall is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:05 AM   #6
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Play store crashed multiple times? Something is wrong. That has never happened to me in 3 years of using an Android phone
b24pgg is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Android is just less stable and less tuned for specific hardware. Then you throw another layer of manufacturer/carrier skin and apps on top, and you're bound to have much buggy, unresponsive software. Android being generic is also why it is less polished than iOS, it needs to run on a wide range of devices and specs.

Personally I think it's one of the most glaring flaws in Android, and one that they really can't remedy without stepping on their "open" principle. Being "open" isn't all that advantageous to being "closed," in my opinion.
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:53 AM   #8
cynics
macrumors 604

You're doomed. With iOS 6 I have problems with the App Store crashing and auto brightness. Plus a crap ton of other things, maps, FB notifications not making sounds, worse battery life, some apps less stable (tapatalk mostly), some apps lag (messaging and facebook are most noticable), etc....

Look on ebay for a 4S running 5.1.1 is my only suggestion. Or wait and hope iOS 6.x is better.

Good luck
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Mrg02d
Banned

I was about to say, those are all the complaints I have with the ip5!

See what I did there? Give it a rest...GS3 is an outstanding phone. Why else would so many here have left iOS for it? DUH?
Mrg02d is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Sincci
macrumors regular

Quote:
I would assume that this applies only to the US versions of S3 since they are using a different sound chip than the international version is using.
Sincci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #11
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincci View Post
I would assume that this applies only to the US versions of S3 since they are using a different sound chip than the international version is using.
Doesn't apply to mine.

OP if you would have had similar issues with an iPhone would you think it's because the phone sucks or would you think that it's a defective device?
LSUtigers03 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Gatecrasher1875
macrumors member

Quote:

you either got a duff phone or are trolling, I got my S3 on Saturday and had none of these problems.

Both the S3 and iPhone 5 are top of the range phones with different personalities (its like choosing between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers or Ronaldo and Messi), Can we not just leave it at that?
Gatecrasher1875 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Rocky244
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecrasher1875 View Post
you either got a duff phone or are trolling, I got my S3 on Saturday and had none of these problems.

Both the S3 and iPhone 5 are top of the range phones with different personalities (its like choosing between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers or Ronaldo and Messi), Can we not just leave it at that?
Except Ronaldo is obviously far superior to Messi...
Rocky244 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:35 PM   #14
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
I was about to say, those are all the complaints I have with the ip5!

See what I did there? Give it a rest...GS3 is an outstanding phone. Why else would so many here have left iOS for it? DUH?
No way. The iPhone 5 display is the best available. Claiming otherwise is not credible.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelgar View Post
No way. The iPhone 5 display is the best available. Claiming otherwise is not credible.
Credible?
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:47 PM   #16
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Could you define best? Blackest blacks? fastest response time? brightest colors?
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:59 PM   #17
nestafaria
macrumors member

Confirms my experience

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
nestafaria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Dontazemebro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestafaria View Post
The HTC One X would have been a much better comparison than the GS3
Dontazemebro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:18 PM   #19
OSMac
macrumors 65816

It's just too bad Apple does not offer a larger iPhone
or at least have similar font adjustments like the S3.

Too often, too small fonts mean side to side scrolling on 4S or 5.
After using a larger Android screen I could not go back to that.

I agree on one point,
I'd take the iPhone's LCD tech over OLED anytime.

The S3 is smooth enough to enjoy using,
no it's not 4S/5 iOS perfect,
but its no longer a deal breaker like in past Android offerings.

Apple should have went true 720p with 4 and 5" device,
then Samsung and the others might as well shut down.

As it is now I see many taking an s3 over the 5, given the lack of google maps, scruffs, and small screen.
OSMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:59 PM   #20
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502

If you're going to make up rubbish about the Galaxy S3 then at least make it sound realistic.

1)the Play store has never crashed, ever

2)the audio on the S3 is exceptional
nickchallis92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:12 PM   #21
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:

1) Disagree. Display is great. You seem to be nitpicking or have a faulty display.

2) Agree (kinda). I have an S3 with Jelly Bean and an iPhone 5. Jelly Bean is a massive improvement in terms of smoothness but the iPhone 5 is on another level. It just responds instantly to everything. No thinking time necessary, you touch and it responds immediately. There is a slight delay with Android that you don't really notice until you use an iPhone.

3) Don't have any of those problems. Apps only crash occasionally.

4) No problem with auto brightness (again on Jelly Bean). It jumps suddenly sometimes, but seems okay for the most part.

5) Again, no problems here. Not sure what you're talking about!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:57 PM   #22
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
2) Agree (kinda). I have an S3 with Jelly Bean and an iPhone 5. Jelly Bean is a massive improvement in terms of smoothness but the iPhone 5 is on another level. It just responds instantly to everything. No thinking time necessary, you touch and it responds immediately. There is a slight delay with Android that you don't really notice until you use an iPhone.
Do you have the iPhone on a different line or do you use an adapter?
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:06 PM   #23
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers03 View Post
Do you have the iPhone on a different line or do you use an adapter?
Different line. I have a nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapter but its my micro-SIM that has the phone number I want to keep, so I'm going to pay off that contract so I can switch the number to my nano.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:08 PM   #24
G51989
Banned

Quote:
You should look at HTC's flagship phone.

Or look at the 920's screen, on paper its better than both.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:22 PM   #25
mackinmike
macrumors regular

Quote:

are you sure u didn't buy a china knock off? my friend from HK came back with some knockoffs and physically, they look the same if you're not familiar with the phone. performance-wise, the knockoff begins to show it's true colors against a real s3.
mackinmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices