Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Let's see where to start...

Positives? Big screen. 4G LTE free tethering apps. Way better Google Voice integration. 4G talk + data at the same time (comes in handy when you're waiting on for customer support or something).

Everything else? Some bad, some REALLY bad:

1) Display has awful color shifts - there is simply no "perfect" viewing angle. The center is warmer than the top and bottom. The display is also incapable of displaying a white background, the best it gets is a vague light yellow.

2) Responsiveness. Still a year behind the 4S, probably 2 years behind the 5. Jelly bean can't come soon enough.

3) Stability. Play Store crashed multiple times. Flipboard is unresponsive on launch. Even Gmail has crashed a few times already.

4) Autobrightness is a joke - needed to pay for a $2.99 app for a function that should have been perfected on the phone.

5) Audio quality - Hiss hiss hiss on quiet songs. Wow, you don't notice these quality issues you give up on these things until you're not using an iPHone anymore.

I won't get into app disparity, build quality or anything, but by itself, the GS3 is just so far behind software and hardware wise, it's really sad. Being returned, and back to considering another iPHone 5.

nestafaria

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I agree with brightness issues and the overall screen is mediocre, besides being larger its a step down from iphone 4. I didn't have any other issues with the phone.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Positives? Big screen. 4G LTE free tethering apps. Way better Google Voice integration. 4G talk + data at the same time (comes in handy when you're waiting on for customer support or something).

1) Display has awful color shifts - there is simply no "perfect" viewing angle. The center is warmer than the top and bottom. The display is also incapable of displaying a white background, the best it gets is a vague light yellow.

2) Responsiveness. Still a year behind the 4S, probably 2 years behind the 5. Jelly bean can't come soon enough.

3) Stability. Play Store crashed multiple times. Flipboard is unresponsive on launch. Even Gmail has crashed a few times already.

4) Autobrightness is a joke - needed to pay for a $2.99 app for a function that should have been perfected on the phone.

5) Audio quality - Hiss hiss hiss on quiet songs. Wow, you don't notice these quality issues you give up on these things until you're not using an iPHone anymore.

I won't get into app disparity, build quality or anything, but by itself, the GS3 is just so far behind software and hardware wise, it's really sad. Being returned, and back to considering another iPHone 5.

lol, that's what I think of the iPhone 5...a new phone that doesn't even match what's already available on the market. It's still a year behind...

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Take it back, it's broken. Non of the above is in line with my experiences with the phone.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Play store crashed multiple times? Something is wrong. That has never happened to me in 3 years of using an Android phone

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Android is just less stable and less tuned for specific hardware. Then you throw another layer of manufacturer/carrier skin and apps on top, and you're bound to have much buggy, unresponsive software. Android being generic is also why it is less polished than iOS, it needs to run on a wide range of devices and specs.

Personally I think it's one of the most glaring flaws in Android, and one that they really can't remedy without stepping on their "open" principle. Being "open" isn't all that advantageous to being "closed," in my opinion.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You're doomed. With iOS 6 I have problems with the App Store crashing and auto brightness. Plus a crap ton of other things, maps, FB notifications not making sounds, worse battery life, some apps less stable (tapatalk mostly), some apps lag (messaging and facebook are most noticable), etc....

Look on ebay for a 4S running 5.1.1 is my only suggestion. Or wait and hope iOS 6.x is better.

Good luck

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I was about to say, those are all the complaints I have with the ip5!

See what I did there? Give it a rest...GS3 is an outstanding phone. Why else would so many here have left iOS for it? DUH?

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland

I would assume that this applies only to the US versions of S3 since they are using a different sound chip than the international version is using.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I would assume that this applies only to the US versions of S3 since they are using a different sound chip than the international version is using.

Doesn't apply to mine.

OP if you would have had similar issues with an iPhone would you think it's because the phone sucks or would you think that it's a defective device?

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012

you either got a duff phone or are trolling, I got my S3 on Saturday and had none of these problems.

Both the S3 and iPhone 5 are top of the range phones with different personalities (its like choosing between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers or Ronaldo and Messi), Can we not just leave it at that?

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
you either got a duff phone or are trolling, I got my S3 on Saturday and had none of these problems.

Both the S3 and iPhone 5 are top of the range phones with different personalities (its like choosing between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers or Ronaldo and Messi), Can we not just leave it at that?

Except Ronaldo is obviously far superior to Messi... ;)

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I was about to say, those are all the complaints I have with the ip5!

See what I did there? Give it a rest...GS3 is an outstanding phone. Why else would so many here have left iOS for it? DUH?

No way. The iPhone 5 display is the best available. Claiming otherwise is not credible.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
It's just too bad Apple does not offer a larger iPhone
or at least have similar font adjustments like the S3.

Too often, too small fonts mean side to side scrolling on 4S or 5.
After using a larger Android screen I could not go back to that.

I agree on one point,
I'd take the iPhone's LCD tech over OLED anytime.

The S3 is smooth enough to enjoy using,
no it's not 4S/5 iOS perfect,
but its no longer a deal breaker like in past Android offerings.

Apple should have went true 720p with 4 and 5" device,
then Samsung and the others might as well shut down.

As it is now I see many taking an s3 over the 5, given the lack of google maps, scruffs, and small screen.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
If you're going to make up rubbish about the Galaxy S3 then at least make it sound realistic.

1)the Play store has never crashed, ever

2)the audio on the S3 is exceptional

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

1) Disagree. Display is great. You seem to be nitpicking or have a faulty display.

2) Agree (kinda). I have an S3 with Jelly Bean and an iPhone 5. Jelly Bean is a massive improvement in terms of smoothness but the iPhone 5 is on another level. It just responds instantly to everything. No thinking time necessary, you touch and it responds immediately. There is a slight delay with Android that you don't really notice until you use an iPhone.

3) Don't have any of those problems. Apps only crash occasionally.

4) No problem with auto brightness (again on Jelly Bean). It jumps suddenly sometimes, but seems okay for the most part.

5) Again, no problems here. Not sure what you're talking about!

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
2) Agree (kinda). I have an S3 with Jelly Bean and an iPhone 5. Jelly Bean is a massive improvement in terms of smoothness but the iPhone 5 is on another level. It just responds instantly to everything. No thinking time necessary, you touch and it responds immediately. There is a slight delay with Android that you don't really notice until you use an iPhone.

Do you have the iPhone on a different line or do you use an adapter?

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012

are you sure u didn't buy a china knock off? my friend from HK came back with some knockoffs and physically, they look the same if you're not familiar with the phone. performance-wise, the knockoff begins to show it's true colors against a real s3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.