Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
nethrs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Indesign to PDF: Losing BG Transparency

I'm exporting an Indesign 5.5 file in what seems like the same way, but getting different results with the imagery transparency. I did work on a different file and then came back to it.

In my first series of exports, the background transparency showed fine. The second (as shown below) is now placing a white box around the shape of the image, where the background should be transparent.

How do I get the background transparency to go back to being transparent instead of showing white?



https://www.thefirstacademy.org/filerequest/9708.pdf (this one has transparent background images)

https://www.thefirstacademy.org/filerequest/9707.pdf (this one has white background images)
nethrs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:18 PM   #2
nethrs
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Solution

Edit > Transparency Flattener Presets : Set to High

For some reason it's defaulting back to low after reopening Indesign.
nethrs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
tobefirst
macrumors 68030
 
tobefirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethrs View Post
Edit > Transparency Flattener Presets : Set to High

For some reason it's defaulting back to low after reopening Indesign.
Did you set it while you had documents open? If so, set it with no documents open.
__________________
soupmagazine.net
graphic design portfolio
tobefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:04 PM   #4
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Also, I've had issues with spot colors and transparency. Either convert all your colors to CMYK / Process or make sure you convert to a CMYK colorspace when exporting the PDF.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:04 AM   #5
PrePressAcrobat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Also, I've had issues with spot colors and transparency. Either convert all your colors to CMYK / Process or make sure you convert to a CMYK colorspace when exporting the PDF.
Possibly
you simply do not have the high rez display on.

InDesign
turn on Separations Preview (View > Output > Separations Preview)?
Acrobat
turn on Overprint > Always (Preferences > Page Display > Overprint Preview > always)?

MSD
PrePressAcrobat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Infinitygraphix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
is it probably just the way you make your PDF.

When exporting, what « Standard » of PDF do you use ?

Try to remake your PDF with PDF/X-4:2010. It handles transparency way better.

Hope this help.
Infinitygraphix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:53 PM   #7
macuser453787
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ephesians 2:1-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrePressAcrobat View Post
Possibly
you simply do not have the high rez display on.

InDesign
turn on Separations Preview (View > Output > Separations Preview)?
Acrobat
turn on Overprint > Always (Preferences > Page Display > Overprint Preview > always)?

MSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitygraphix View Post
is it probably just the way you make your PDF.

When exporting, what « Standard » of PDF do you use ?

Try to remake your PDF with PDF/X-4:2010. It handles transparency way better.

Hope this help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Also, I've had issues with spot colors and transparency. Either convert all your colors to CMYK / Process or make sure you convert to a CMYK colorspace when exporting the PDF.
A warning message I've seen many times in Illustrator may shed some light on this. Says something like "Spot colors used with transparency can generate unexpected results." when saving the file. I think this is a clue, and have seen weird things happen rip-side when spot colors and transparency are used together. They just don't play nice together in Postscript land for some reason, which is a limitation that Adobe acknowledges (hence the warning message in Illustrator) and they should probably take steps to address it.

In my experience it doesn't have anything to do with flattener presets or overprint settings. I've tried to get it to work, and sometimes if the artwork (rather, the Postscript) is simple enough, it does work. One sure way though: Converting any spot colors to process prior to generating a PDF or ripping the file will eliminate any spot color/transparency funkiness.
macuser453787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:45 PM   #8
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser453787 View Post
One sure way though: Converting any spot colors to process prior to generating a PDF or ripping the file will eliminate any spot color/transparency funkiness.
I concur.

For any job that isn't being color separated as spot color, convert all colors to process/CMYK.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethrs View Post
I'm exporting an Indesign 5.5 file in what seems like the same way, but getting different results with the imagery transparency. I did work on a different file and then came back to it.

In my first series of exports, the background transparency showed fine. The second (as shown below) is now placing a white box around the shape of the image, where the background should be transparent.

How do I get the background transparency to go back to being transparent instead of showing white?
The PDF must have a certain minimum version (PDF standard version number).
The PDF must have a certain color space.
The PDF reader application must support the transparency and the specified color space. AFAIK, only the newest versions of the Adobe Reader application (with the correct settings) support all possible transparency variants.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpa...parency_in_PDF
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:30 AM   #10
dazzer21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Silly question, but...

...are all the links intact?
dazzer21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:43 AM   #11
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Old thread, but as it has reappeared, I feel I must point this out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Also, I've had issues with spot colors and transparency. Either convert all your colors to CMYK / Process or make sure you convert to a CMYK colorspace when exporting the PDF.
Spot colour means "a separate printing plate from the usual CMYK ones, for which the printer will use a tin of ink in that color".

If your printer is only using CMYK on press, then you don't want spot colors AT ALL and you need to convert any spots to process.
If your printer is going to use a spot colour, then you don't want to convert to process, because then you won't have a separation on the extra plate.

Spot colour does not mean "a nice colour I've selected from the Pantone list with no regard for how it will be separated and printed". Not saying that's the case here, but there is a tendency for this to be the prevailing definition.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC