Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I have a couple of people marked as VIPs but their emails do not show up in the VIP folder. They get stars by their emails in the Inbox and the custom alerts sound for them, but the VIP folder is empty. If I check the VIP folder at iCloud.com or on OS X Mail it works correctly; this only occurs on iOS on iPhone and iPad.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Well I figured this out and thought I would post my findings for reference.

The VIP Folder will only display emails from the Inbox. If you have mail in other folders, they do not get indexed. This greatly limits the VIP functionality for me, as I have some Rules that move email from certain people to specified folders. All the VIP alerts still work, you just can't use the VIP folder so see any emails outside the Inbox.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Well I figured this out and thought I would post my findings for reference.

The VIP Folder will only display emails from the Inbox. If you have mail in other folders, they do not get indexed. This greatly limits the VIP functionality for me, as I have some Rules that move email from certain people to specified folders. All the VIP alerts still work, you just can't use the VIP folder so see any emails outside the Inbox.

I've observed the same limitations and agree 100% that VIP usefulness is severely limited in accounts that do server-side filtering of email into folders (Exchange) or labels (Gmail). It should certainly be looking at all folders/labels and not making the naive assumption that incoming emails are only delivered to Inbox.

Comments submitted to Apple. :)

shayokoh

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
I found that after I unselected Organize By Thread in the Mail, Contacts, and Calendar settings , it started to work for me.

Reactions: oneillsdc5

Mrsdp

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
I found that after I unselected Organize By Thread in the Mail, Contacts, and Calendar settings , it started to work for me.

I tried everything suggested on the internet including checking i had no filters, setting up filters & deleting them & even adding the member to vip through their contact at the top of their last email.

I even tried the above advice, which at first didn't work. I then logged in on the macbook to the gmail website, finding the main site had my emails organised by thread!!! once i corrected this my vips are sorted. Altho without the above tip i would have never sorted it so thanks :D

So very happy since hubbys always away n i like to notice his emails & not let them blend in with the rest

This has driven me mad for the last 24 hours but I'm all sorted now :p:eek:

hanchiumd

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Doesn't always work for me. I have one contact that does not work. His emails are filtered, but a copy remains in the inbox.

I also have threaded messages & the ones that work are threaded too.

Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.