Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Need help here. I added a second line to my existing account with ATT when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 last week. My original number was from a different state from the one I am currently living so when I pre-ordered the two iPhones 5 (upgraded my device and added a new line to my wife) I used the address from my account. Both phones arrived last Friday and I activated both with phone numbers from my old address. Later that day I went to an ATT store and asked them to switch the phone numbers to my current state where I am living. Both phones changed successfully and have brand new numbers. However, I noticed that my wife was not receiving any of the messages I was sending to her phone using the messenger app and I asked her to send a message to my phone. Surprisingly, I received a message from the original phone number the iPhone came from my previous state. Mine works fine. I checked her phone and it shows her new number, receives phone calls on the new number but when I go to Settings>Messages>Send&Receive it shows “You can be reached by iMessage at: OLD PHONE NUMBER” and “Start new conversations from: OLD PHONE NUMBER”. I turned iMessage off, turned Face Time off, turned the phone on and off and when I turn iMessage back on it still shows the old phone number on it. Any thoughts on how to fix that and get the current phone number to show on iMessage? Tks for the help!!!!

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Log out of iMessage on the same screen you used to turn it off, then log back in. If you aren't logged in, login with your apple ID. This will prompt a reactivation of iMessage, and it should use your new numbers after a short delay. It activates using SMS, so make sure you have texting enabled on your plan.

Note that
1. There is no way I am aware of to remove an iMessage number. You'll have to wait until someone else gets that number, gets an iPhone, and re-registers it. (Someone else chime if they know how to remove it)
2. Anyone who has sent you an iMessage before will still send it to your old number at first. If you change where you are sending them from, eventually it will roll over, but at first it won't. Best way to speed up the process is to have everyone remove your old number from their contacts.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I logged out of iMessage and back in and it reactivates into the old number. The old number was never used. It came assigned to the new iPhone (added as a second line to my existing account) when I got from Apple last Friday. It was just a random number that was assigned to the phone and I went to an ATT store to change it to my new home state. Thus, nobody in our contacts have that number. The Apple ID shows as my wife’s but as I said it shows the old number attached to iMessage and not the new number. What is weird is that I did the same procedure on my phone (switched from an old number from another state to my current state) and it works perfect.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
imessage uses the telephone number entered in General > Phone. Editing this number should fix it, it did for me

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
New phone number shows on "settings>phone". Still no luck with iMessenger recognizing that number.

allovuhsudden

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Hi there,
I just had a similar problem and the key to changing your iMessage number is on Messages>Send & Receive, push your Apple ID at the top and push "View Account", then push "Manage Apple ID". Once logged in a box will pop up asking if you want to use your new number for iMessage.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
could it be that imessage is down?

log out of imessage and log back in
log out of icloud and log back in

those does the trick for me.

mujtabamujeeb

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
THIS WILL WORK 100% guarantee

Alrite guys, this will definitely work.

1) Go on setting and change your number
2) Then go on network reset
It will automatically boot up your iphone and once it done go to messages to see if your number is there, if its not then turn of your imessage and facetime and turn it back on again.

Well, this worked for me.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.