Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Hasn't it been long enough? Major apps like Instagram, YouTube, chase mobile, Netflix, and few other popular apps are still letter boxed. What the hell man? #

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
There are likely to be two major rounds of updates:

1. Compatibility - Devs update their apps to be compatible with the new vertical resolution of the iPhone 5. This is happening now.
  2. Re-imagination/Innovation - Given some time, devs will hopefully think of new and creative ways to utilize the additional real-estate. My guess is that we are looking at December or January before these types of updates start seeping out for select apps.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
It's not likely to happen quickly: The breadth of the mistakes happening worldwide is huge.

But there will probably be some quick fixes in the US...

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Relax, phone hasn't even been out a week
Don't tell me to relax man. You haven't seen what I've seen, you haven't done what I've done. You cannot imagine what I've been through with these letterboxed apps man. You just haven't. So don't YOU tell me to relax.

Seriously though, I'm not a fan of this whole letter boxing.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Most of the apps I used have been updated. I just got the Billminder update moments ago. Finally.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I've been thinking this tbh. Yeah, I know the phones only been out for retails for literally a few days, but i'd have expected the big buns of the app store (mentioned in the OP) to have taller-screen apps in the app store by now.

I'm looking forward to the youtube app on the smaller screen, plus tapatalk so i can browse these forums easier :D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Don't tell me to relax man. You haven't seen what I've seen, you haven't done what I've done. You cannot imagine what I've been through with these letterboxed apps man. You just haven't. So don't YOU tell me to relax.

Is it that bad? Do the apps still work? Have a little patience.

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Typically it takes several days for companies to code for larger screens, then it takes 1-2 weeks for Apple to review. So give it one or two weeks.

hishat

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
United Kingdom
Am i the only one who think developers have been slow?

Am i the only one who think developers have been slow to react/optimise their apps to the iphone 5?

I mean its ok if your a solo developer. But BIG apps such as instagram and whatsapp i would have though their development teams would have been right on it since the developers had rights to the code in their toolkits.

its a shame really.

hishat

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
United Kingdom
It has been less than a week
I wouldn't be concerned at this point

Could be Apple's approval system as well

Meh, they will come

But surely the fact that apple released their updated developers kits a fortnight prior to the release should have helped?

Plus my 2 pennys worth opinion would say that in these times, optimised iphone 5 apps would probably sell quicker just due to their optimisation.

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
For real I would of expected apps you paid money for would of updated by now like Files Pro. Come on Files Pro? Need 720p already!!!!!

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
What kinds of apps aren't updated? I have some games and some non games and I think they've all gotten updated this weekend. I don't have hundreds of apps but a couple of mine I was very surprised to see the developer had already updated - apps that haven't had an update since iOS 5 came out.

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I thought this too, until I looked at AppShoppers "recently updated" category and realized that app updates are coming very quick. New ones nearly by the minute.

hishat

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
United Kingdom
I dont have many apps either....but what i do use is Whatsapp and Instagram....Neither, although owned by quite wealthy companies...have been updated.

just a pain in the ass to still be looking at apps with a iphone 4 format seems like i have not upgraded !

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011

Dude... this whole iPhone 5, iOS6 thing is a complete fiasco.

I would not be surprised if Samsung is quietly laughing in the background.

Shut-up Samsung.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Major popular apps, perhaps a couple of weeks for all of them to be updated.

Other apps, could be 2-3 months for the majority of them.

This is based on my experience with retina updates for the new iPad.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Why aren't app developers updating for iPhone 5 fast enough?

Come on eBay! Amongst many others!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Read an article where some app developers can't update their apps yet because the iPhone isn't available in their country yet or their order hasn't arrived yet. Probably going to take a few months before updated apps become the norm

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Come on eBay! Amongst many others!

I'm not surprised eBay of all apps aren't updated. The first and quickest are going to be those independent developers with 1 or 2 apps. eBay probably has to contract an outside development company to change it for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.