Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Anyone else have backlight bleed on iPhone 5 is this normal I have it on iPad 3 some people say its normal cause of LCD screen others says its not. It's not noticeable but wondering if this is a defect

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Anyone else have backlight bleed on iPhone 5 is this normal I have it on iPad 3 some people say its normal cause of LCD screen others says its not. It's not noticeable but wondering if this is a defect

720082d1338111948-my-ks-go-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
It's a little at the top corner can't post a pic right now but is this normal some people say it is

kvnfo

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I had a perfect iPhone 5 with no scratches, but noticeable backlight bleed :( I took it back. It would bother me more than Scuffs since I'm always looking at the screen and not the back. My new phone has a very small scuff but the screen is perfect.

I'd get it replaced if its bothering you.

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
The only way I can see it if its in total darkness otherwise its fine I herd the screens like LCD it's normal for backlight bleed I went through 3 iPads and all of them had backlight bleed

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
this is what it looks like

Attachments

• photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 1,224

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
I have the exact same light leak. Same spot, unnoticeable unless the screen is black and I'm in the dark.

I'm not totally convinced it's worth a trip to the Apple Store and I think my assessment is -- keep it, I have a year to bring it in if I decide to.

And If I get a huge scratch on the phone or something else I dislike that isn't necessarily covered under the 1 year warranty then I can use the light leak issue as a reason to ask for an exchange.

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Oh okay a lot of people have the same light leak where mine is is this a defect it doesn't bother me that to much like you said I'm afraid if I replace it I will get a bad phone

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I just got my iPhone an hour ago and noticed it right away on boot up. Really noticeable on the black boot screen.

I swear its always something. Im going to wait a week or so and take it back I think. Maybe by then they will have more stock and will fix the manufacturing issues.

Guess thats what happens when things are made in communist China at rioting Fox Conn plants. :rolleyes:

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
this is what it looks like

What can you learn from this? Dont look at a black screen in the dark. My scren is usually full of apps! These things would never normally be noticed!

I've stopped coming on the forum after I purchased the 5, for threads like this, and scratch gate thats out of control!

Jordan

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I don't mind the backlight bleed but is this normal I herd a lot of apple products have this issue my iPad 3 had this I went through 3 and I still have that issue it doesn't bother but is it fine cause most likely if I replace that phone will have some bleed is it normal

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
What can you learn from this? Dont look at a black screen in the dark. My scren is usually full of apps! These things would never normally be noticed!

I've stopped coming on the forum after I purchased the 5, for threads like this, and scratch gate thats out of control!

Jordan

Wouldnt it show up if watching a movie on your phone?

If it does its unacceptable. Clearly manufacturing tolerances that apple loves to BRAG about.

----------

This one is even better, leaking light along the case......nice and air/water tight.....

securedownload_zps68f60c14.jpeg

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Oh and another thing, on my main screen the clock etc is black and you can see it.

You can also see it if you are running an app that has not been adjusted for the screen resolution and it has black bars top and bottom.

IMHO it should not do this at all.....

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Is it worth returning it for a new one the light leak isn't to bad but not sure if I should return it or not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.