Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I just joined Verizon with the iPhone 5. I joined my wife's existing Verizon Wireless account, and turned it into a "share everything" plan.

The Personal Hotspot feature on her new iPhone 5 works just fine. It doesn't work on mine. I'm presented with this error message, to call Verizon at 611 to enable.

photo%25201.PNG
photo%25202.PNG

I've called Verizon twice, and they ensured me that the features and permissions are the same on both lines, but it still doesn't work.

When I got the iPhone 5, I restored to iCloud backup instead of setting up as new. I tried restoring to new phone to see if that would help, and it still didn't work. Apple said it must be a Verizon issue if the restore didn't help.

I also tried resetting network data, that didn't work.

Anybody else run into this issue? :confused:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I just joined Verizon with the iPhone 5.

It can take time to apply to the line. I would log onto the Verizon website and check to make sure your line is on the share everything plan. Wait a day, restart the phone, if it still isn't working, call Verizon back.

I had the same delay on mine.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
thanks for your useless response. There's nothing worse than the "just restore solution".

If you bothered to read, you'd see that i restored the phone to factory settings already.

Did i say "restore the phone to factory settings"? I said reset it !

Do you know how to reset an iphone or do you need remedial instructions?

You're welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did i say "restore the phone to factory settings"? I said reset it !

Do you know how to reset an iphone or do you need remedial instructions?

You're welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By "reset," I assume you are referring to "reset all settings"? And sorry if I'm ignorant, but does that do something that restore to factory settings doesn't do? I mean, I always thought that "reset all settings" would just do some subset of reverting to factory settings. Am I wrong?

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Ah... That reset. Well, I happened to know how to do that, but I'm sure a lot of users don't. I wouldn't assume it was common knowledge, as you seemed to imply in your previous post.

"Reset the phone"; Sorry, I cannot make it any clearer or easier to understand.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Settings, general, reset, reset networking settings; this was suggested by Verizon & Apple - it doesn't work

I've restored the phone to factory settings through iTunes; this didn't work.

I went to two Verizon stores; no help.

I'm going to an Apple store as a last resort - likely will have to swap the phone.

Thanks all.

----------

It can take time to apply to the line. I would log onto the Verizon website and check to make sure your line is on the share everything plan. Wait a day, restart the phone, if it still isn't working, call Verizon back.

I had the same delay on mine.

I've had it since Friday, and called a few times since then. The account online shows me as having the same features as another account on the line, and it still doesn't work.

I think it's something with the sim or phone - Apple store might find the issue later tonight.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for your useless response. There's nothing worse than the "just restore solution".

If you bothered to read, you'd see that I restored the phone to factory settings already.

You should consider yourself lucky for anyone to help you with an attitude like that. :rolleyes:

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
After calling verizon twice, visiting two verizon stores, and the apple store, I went to a third verizon store and a girl there was able to fix it. She shut the phone down, deleted the hotspot feature on my account, turned the phone back on, and hotspot was enabled and working fine. Problem solved.

This is what appeared on the "service changed" receipt emailed to me afterwards:

Added Service :
MOBILE HOTSPOT 4G PROVISIONING
Removed Service :
BLOCK MHS/PRE-PROVISIONED MHS

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.