Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejackinthepac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Hi. I'm shopping around for a new macbook/netbook and until I get chance to visit some stores, I've a screen resolution question for those with MB Airs:

I quite like the 13" Air over the 13" Pro, however I notice it has a 1440x900 screen. At the moment I'm using a 1280x800 display on a 2008/9 13" macbook (which seems "dull"), and I have to wear glasses to avoid screen headaches - does having a higher screen resolution make things sharper and more crisper, or smaller and harder to see etc?? I'm not able to find much info about change of screen technology in macbooks over the last 3 years.

The Pro with Retina is nice, but too pricey; from comparison photos on Google I can't seem to see anything noticeably different or stand-out with the Airs vs. current/slightly older macbooks.

Any insight into screen res on the Airs would be much appreciated! Thanks

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I quite like the 13" Air over the 13" Pro, however I notice it has a 1440x900 screen. At the moment I'm using a 1280x800 display on a 2008/9 13" macbook (which seems "dull"), and I have to wear glasses to avoid screen headaches - does having a higher screen resolution make things sharper and more crisper, or smaller and harder to see etc?? I'm not able to find much info about change of screen technology in macbooks over the last 3 years.

The Macbook screens are duller and have worse viewing angles than the Pro

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The Macbook screens are duller and have worse viewing angles than the Pro

Any display a few years old is gonna look dull compared to a brand new one, specially when ur coming from Fluorescent backlit to modern LED.

OP, this is a personally thing. Some people are bothered by certain displays and others not, u just have to spend some quality time at you local store to find out. Everything else being equal, a couple hundreds extra pixels is not gonna matter any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.