Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I'm surprised I haven't seen a good visual (or any) explanation of the antennas in the iPhone 5. I'm not convinced that the aluminum band around the outside consists of antennas anymore. The back is part of the sides (not insulated electrically - it is the SAME continuous part) so those clearly aren't antenna. The top and bottom back have glass windows, so I'm thinking there must be antennas *behind* those but probably insulated from the metal band at the top and bottom of the phone exterior. If the top and bottom bands were antennas, why would they both be so short and be the same size?

And: if those band gaps on the 5 *are* insulators and the top and bottom are antennas, then how does the top and bottom of the phone adhere to the aluminum body of the phone? Is it glued to the plastic band gaps, which is glued to the body? It can't be via metal, because that would attach it electrically to the entire aluminum *back* of the phone, right?

Yes, i've seen the ifixit teardown. And I don't see where the antennas are.

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
There are heaps of information around saying the top and bottom bands are antenna related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.