Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I have performed several upgrades and for the most part they were all successful. I already upgraded to 14 gigs of ram on my mac pro early 2008 2.8 dual quad core.

This time around i replaced my stock HDD with a crucial m4 256 SSD, and a new 1 tb 7200 HDD, replaced the stock optical drive which was no longer functioning with a new LG IDE compatible superdrive, and put in a radeon sapphire 6870 1g graphics card. Through this process, i upgraded to mountain lion with a clean install. :D

Current issues:

1) I have noticed twice what i can only describe as interface lag on my whole computer. Its rather strange but basically everything slows down, the keyboard takes a and extra second or 2 to register an action on the screen, programs are slowed down similarly. Not sure if its the graphics card or the SSD, but in both cases restarting or simply reloging my user account solved the issue. Trim is enabled on my SSD for the record.

2) Currently i use an SSD, and an HDD. I want to set the SSD to never go to sleep, but the HDD to go to sleep. I can't figure out how to do that, or if it is even possible. Given the case, i've decided the SSD is worth more... so i'm not allowing my drives to sleep.... If anyone knows how to have the hdd sleep without the SSD going to sleep... that would be appreciated. :confused:

Edit: windows issue mostly resolved. All radeon issues currently resolved

All help apreciated, and previous help getting to this point was certainly apreciated :)

Last edited:

RumoredTone

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Hi there,

Regarding your problem with "SSD lag," you may be able to resolve it by either upgrading or downgrading your Crucial M4 firmware. If you search this forum (or the Internet in general) for something like "crucial m4 mac freeze," you'll find that the M4 firmware can be a bit buggy under Mac OS. It's seemingly random - some folks have no problems, while others encounter periodic system freezing, which lasts a number of seconds before clearing up. I experienced this myself, using one in an older MacBook Pro.

Some people report the issue is resolved after upgrading their firmware. In my case, the M4 already came with the newest firmware at the time (000F, I believe) but I was able to resolve it by downgrading to a previous version. So the best recommendation I can make is to check your firmware (you can find it in System Profiler) and experiment with different versions. I actually see that Crucial just released a new firmware 5 days ago (010G), so that might be a good place to start.

I'm not 100% sure if what you're describing is the same issue, but I hope this helps. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.