Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Questioneer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
My iPhone 4 started turning off without warning about a year ago. It appears to also happen when on the power cable, but then it doesn't shut off, it just stops charging. When this happens the phone will immediately turn off if I unplug the power.

I thought I had to throw it away when it first happened since nothing would bring it back, then I discovered that a couple of quick taps to the front of the phone will turn it back on again (apple appears and boot starts).

Any ideas on what this might be? Since I'm out of warranty I opened it up and reseated the battery, but no joy.

Something to note is that this appears to be exacerbated by network changes. The shutdown happens pretty much everyday, but when I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks it didn't happen once. When I landed back in San Jose, it happened as soon as I got home. It also tends to shutdown whenever I walk into a Starbucks, go home or enter new auto-connect networks.

Any ideas? I'm going to go grab a 5, but I want to keep this one going for my kids to use.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.