Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jawn12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I'm trying to get my Bootcamp drivers downloaded so I can use Windows on my Mac, but I get the following error message every single time

"Can't install Windows Support Software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server".

I've been getting this for over a week now. I'm running Mountain Lion and no longer have my Snow Leopard CDs that came with my Macbook Pro, so I have no other way to get them. How can I get these drivers?

Thanks for your help

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
When you start BootCamp in OS X, you should get a selection to download the current Windows BootCamp drivers and save them on either a DVD or a USB flash drive. Then, after your Windows has been installed, insert the driver disk and run the installation file.

-howard

jawn12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Howard, the issue I'm describing is a direct result of the instructions you just provided. After going through those steps for the past week, every single time I am given an error that the drivers are unavailable from Apple's servers.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Oh ... OK ... I thought you were trying to download them from within Windows from the Apple servers. :)

That is very odd ... just to check, I am currently as I type downloading the drivers from the BootCamp Assistant to a DVD disk and it appears to be proceeding normally. It does go really slow in the middle of the download (it did the same thing a couple of days when I last download them to a thumb drive), but then it picks up towards the end. I do not get any messages such as yours. This download completed successfully and burned the DVD.

Sounds like it may be a file name corruption within your BootCamp Assistant that is trying to find a non-existant url/filename? You can go to Apple/Support and see the previous versions of the drivers, but I haven't found the ver. 4 drivers through that method so far. The only way I know to get the latest ver. 4 drivers is through the already discussed download method.

I wonder what would happen if you removed "Boot Camp Assistant.app" from your application/utilities folder and tried a software update check or OS X repair. That operation might attempt to replace the BC Assistant.app with a fresh copy.

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.