Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
So first off, let me say that I was very disappointed that the only way to get a legit Digital copy was to buy the 3D Blu-ray combo pack. I don't own a 3D TV so I wasn't going to get that version.

So instead I buy the Blu-ray/DVD combo in the hopes to rip the DVD. I get home throw in the disc and open Handbrake. Search for the source, Handbrake thinks a minute and then crashed with a KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS error. I tried a couple more times just to be sure and it crashed every time.

For fun I attempted using another software (MacX DVD Ripper) to see if that would work, and it crashed that too.

In doing some research, most forums pointed to bad ram. But I stuck in another DVD (Gothika) and it worked fine. So something is up with the Avengers DVD.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know how to get around this?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Some form of copyright protection? I've had that with a couple of 3D / Digital combo movies and TV series...They just won't rip. I'm fortunate enough to own a 3D TV setup, but there are 2 movies that won't rip (can't remember which ones) even when using the standard DVD

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
My friend made me aware of this when I talked to him about it. But Amazon still hasn't shipped his yet (estimated for early Oct). So there's that.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Learn something new everyday, thanks guys. Title specific ripping should make it tons easier. Had a hard time ripping 2012 the other day, just did not want to cooperate. I know not a great movie, but fun to watch.

bigmacair

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
U.S.A
avengers headache w handbreak

Ok so im not a rookie at ripping using handbreak but avengers is really starting to annoy me. After maybe 25 times my macbook air crashs using handbreak but just this single disk only.

from some of what i read upgrading the memory to 4GB is whats recommended to rip avengers. went to best buy and had them bump me to 4gb, to my surprise im having same issue! when in fact this time i tried it was slower. best buy enterprise technicians say problem might be my drive funny because every movie works except avenger. tried several discs so far all do not work.

Can someone please let me out of this nightmare im having with avengers?

11" MBA (2011), 1.6ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD :apple:

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Ok so im not a rookie at ripping using handbreak but avengers is really starting to annoy me. After maybe 25 times my macbook air crashs using handbreak but just this single disk only.

from some of what i read upgrading the memory to 4GB is whats recommended to rip avengers. went to best buy and had them bump me to 4gb, to my surprise im having same issue! when in fact this time i tried it was slower. best buy enterprise technicians say problem might be my drive funny because every movie works except avenger. tried several discs so far all do not work.

Can someone please let me out of this nightmare im having with avengers?

11" MBA (2011), 1.6ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD :apple:

Visit this site https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25405

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Guys, I think you should invest in getting used to ripping your DVD with MakeMKV first since it can detect fake titles. I did this with my DVD copy of my 3D Blu-ray purchase since I need to get the subtitles off of it, and it managed to find the proper title without any issues. It's an extra step, but it can save you a lot of time with titles such as these that are a bit problematic.

The only downside however is that the Forced subtitle track will not be tagged as "Forced" on the MKV file and when you put it in Handbrake you will have to manually select it and burn it into the film. This is also true for Blu-rays.

macseven77

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Chicago
I purchased the 3D combo pack and used MakeMKV and Handbrake to rip a copy of the normal blu ray disc and didn't have any issues. Just thought I would add.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

from some of what i read upgrading the memory to 4GB is whats recommended to rip avengers.

Handbrake repeatedly crashes when I try to rip Avengers and I have 8GB RAM.

thezoostation

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
My problem is that Handbrake refuses to even see the disc. I have the same problem with Tintin, POTC On Stranger Tides, and other recent Disney movies. When I try using Ripit, they just rip and rip, with the files growing bigger and bigger, and never stop.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
My problem is that Handbrake refuses to even see the disc. I have the same problem with Tintin, POTC On Stranger Tides, and other recent Disney movies. When I try using Ripit, they just rip and rip, with the files growing bigger and bigger, and never stop.

I think you are experiencing the same problems I did. Just try doing a Title Specific rip, which is detailed here: https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15874

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The fact that everyone still has to go through this, and each individually, to watch movies we all paid good money for, on our own equipment, because the movie industry is fighting to keep everyone on glorious 1990s set top box technology than get with the flicking program, is what makes me want to share my digital library with others for free in a big way.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
The fact that everyone still has to go through this, and each individually, to watch movies we all paid good money for, on our own equipment, because the movie industry is fighting to keep everyone on glorious 1990s set top box technology than get with the flicking program, is what makes me want to share my digital library with others for free in a big way.

Seriously! If you're going to make things more frustrating for people, they're going to turn to the easier options, which are piracy.

I can just picture the meetings these empty-headed suits have.

"So, how can we discourage people from pirating our products?"
"Well, why don't we make the official releases they pay money for frustrating as all hell?"
"Genius!"

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
So first off, let me say that I was very disappointed that the only way to get a legit Digital copy was to buy the 3D Blu-ray combo pack. I don't own a 3D TV so I wasn't going to get that version.

I had to chime in: first, there are two ways to get a legit digital copy. Buy one, or make one. Two, you will have a 3D TV at some point in time, regardless of what you think now, unless you are a < 40" kind of person. :p:D

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I had to chime in: first, there are two ways to get a legit digital copy. Buy one, or make one. Two, you will have a 3D TV at some point in time, regardless of what you think now, unless you are a < 40" kind of person. :p:D

I just bought a 55 inch LED-backlit LCD... It's not 3D.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012

I ripped my DVD to get a copy. I was referring to one that is seen by iCloud as being "legit".

As for 3D, I'll stick to my original comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.