Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I press it by mistake sometimes and it always makes a noise. Even if my phone is on silent :(

zerind

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Disable Siri. I kept doing the same thing and it annoyed the hell out of me so I just turned Siri off. Problem solved.

I press it by mistake sometimes and it always makes a noise. Even if my phone is on silent :(

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
The mic is part of Siri. If you don't want the mic then you don't get Siri. If you want Siri then you get the mic.

The mic is part of Dictation... not a part of Siri. He want to get rid of dictation but still be able to use Siri as an assistant.

The iPad 3 launched with dictation and no Siri. They were able to separate the 2. Mountain Lion has dictation and no Siri.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
The mic is part of Dictation... not a part of Siri. He want to get rid of dictation but still be able to use Siri as an assistant.

Which you can't.

There is a jailbreak tweak that does though (handy to know in future when the JB does come)

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I accidentally hit at a party. You should have seen the message it dictated. Luckily I didn't hit send!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

The iPad 3 launched with dictation and no Siri. They were able to separate the 2. Mountain Lion has dictation and no Siri.

For the iPhone 5 are they not one in the same?

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Apparently if you are typing quickly enough, when you press on the microphone it acts like a space bar. Which is pretty clever, although I'd rather the symbol disappeared altogether when I'm typing and then reappears after 2 seconds or so of inactivity.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Just confirming this

Just confirmed myself that this does work but it does mean that you to type quite quickly and without pauses. The problem for me is that I can see the icon so consciously try to type to the right, which often means I hit the return button instead. The space bar is too cramped with the keyboard icon (for emoticons) and microphone icon.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
For the iPhone 5 are they not one in the same?

Yes, they are a package deal. ;) Same voice recognition engine. I could see how someone could split hairs and say they are not the same thing but life's too short... I see it as Siri taking notes for me instead of fetching, say, the weather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.