Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelumpya2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Am I missing something here? I feel like apple got 95% of the way there on this one, so close to being 100% awesome, but fell short.

In iOS6, my friends and I have all had the same reaction with the new photostream option. We've been at an event, all taking photos, and one of us will create a photostream to share our photos with the others, but there is no option for the other people included in the photostream to add their photos as well.

It seems like a no-brainer that all the people involved in the photostream should be able to add photos to the photostream, OR, at least have the option to ADD the ability for others to share.

Additionally, I'd love to be able to create a family stream that my mom, dad and brother could all add photos too, but as it is now, it seems only the creater of the photostream has the ability to add photos, which to me, is counter-intuitive.

Please tell me I'm just missing an option somewhere.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I don't think you're missing anything. The way I'm reading it is you create your own "photostream" with your own pictures and you can "share" them with others.

Apple needs that last 5%.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
It's sort of like your own personal Instagram,. No one else can add to it. But agree that would be nice to have a toggled option to allow others to contribute if you want.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I didnt realize this was the case.
I have a photostream of my kids, & my niece & nephew.
Of course my wife, sisters, parents are involved in this photostream......but if I have to join ANOTHER stream so my sister can post pics of her kids (my niece & nephew) then it ruins the reason to have the photostream.
Id be better off using facebook like I always have done :confused:

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Hopefully next update to the iOS they will add that option.
I agree it's much needed.

Remember when we couldn't delete pics from our photostream in iOS 5?
Apple changed that on the next update.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Of course my wife, sisters, parents are involved in this photostream......but if I have to join ANOTHER stream so my sister can post pics of her kids (my niece & nephew) then it ruins the reason to have the photostream.

It would be great but surely I can see this going to that direction from apple with future updates.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Another change I'd like to see Apple include in iOS 6.0.1:
The ability to edit your photo stream comments.

On a slight tangent, Apple always seems to introduce new functionality in very small increments. Photo Stream and iMessage are good examples. The Camera Roll app is another.

Optimists might say it makes the iOS 'intuitive' and easy for the lay person to become familiar with the new functions without being overwhelmed.

Pessimists might say it allows Apple to get away with the bare minimum documentation and support (really, their online help is not very comprehensive and I can't believe it wasn't updated to coincide with the iOS 6 launch).

Now that the iOS has been around for 5 years and there are millions of users, Apple has the increasingly difficult task of concurrently:
1) Offering functions that are competitive with the marketplaces offerings (Android, Windows)
2) Keeping the 'it just works' and overall intuitiveness of the iOS that has made the iPhone/iPod/iPad so successful
3) Catering to the iOS power users who've been using the software for years, perhaps jailbroken, and want more features and more customization

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
I'd just like to have the ability to share my normal photostream with my wife so she can see all my photos on her ipad, iphone, etc. I don't want to have to create a separate photostream and drop individual photos into it every time.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
+1 to the OP.

It is absolutely ridiculous that photo streams can't be set to either only the creator can add pictures or anyone in the photo stream can add pictures.

I know I had a party this past weekend and would've loved to been able to wake up the next morning and just see every picture taken from the party (at least those of us on iOS 6) on a single photo stream.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Am I missing something here? I feel like apple got 95% of the way there on this one, so close to being 100% awesome, but fell short.

In iOS6, my friends and I have all had the same reaction with the new photostream option. We've been at an event, all taking photos, and one of us will create a photostream to share our photos with the others, but there is no option for the other people included in the photostream to add their photos as well.

It seems like a no-brainer that all the people involved in the photostream should be able to add photos to the photostream, OR, at least have the option to ADD the ability for others to share.

Additionally, I'd love to be able to create a family stream that my mom, dad and brother could all add photos too, but as it is now, it seems only the creater of the photostream has the ability to add photos, which to me, is counter-intuitive.

Please tell me I'm just missing an option somewhere.

I just noticed this today and I can tell you that I'm unhappy that Apple did it this way. I hope they fix this because it would be great if everyone involed could add pictures.

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Also needs the option to be able to "subscribe" to an invite for web-viewing only, not downloading everything to the device. Who knows when Aunt Ethel is going to dump 200 pix of her tea party on her stream.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I thought about this from the beginning as well.

I think it will at one point. Probably when adding someone to a photostream you'll be able to set them as a Viewer or Editor, where editor's can add photos to the same stream.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK

I have something pretty much the same. We had a family wedding and all took separate photos, I have 8 photo streams for one event. It's a pain having them all where we should all be able to add to one stream.

Hope it's not months for an update.

dgoff267

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
How to get Apple's attention

I'm not sure if anyone actually knows this answer, but how (in the past) has Apple become aware of issues like these? I also find it very frustrating that they excluded this feature, and I'd like for it to become available as soon as possible.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm not sure if anyone actually knows this answer, but how (in the past) has Apple become aware of issues like these? I also find it very frustrating that they excluded this feature, and I'd like for it to become available as soon as possible.
Apple.com/feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.