Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeMac2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Anybody elses LTE speeds starting to slow down? When I picked up my 5 on Friday I did a few speed tests around my house and at work. I was getting around 25-30 mbps and couldn't be happier. Now when I do the test at the same places I am getting only around 10-15 mbps. It's probably because their towers are getting hammered with all the new iPhones but was just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yes. I was regularly pulling 50mbs with an AT&T LTE iPad prior to the iPhone 5 launch. Now it's generally between 8-15mbs.

At lunch time on a work day LTE slows to EDGE speeds or stops altogether.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm very happy with the speed & consistency of AT&T's high speed service both on my iPhone & Android phones. However it's important to note I'm in a very strong coverage area.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Odd, I still get the same LTE speeds (if not faster 34Mb/s initially now 40Mb/s on average with lowest being 29Mb/s; highest 57Mb/s) as when the network was turned on. Bare in mind, more people have crowded the LTE network.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Still very fast here.
It all varies by location and traffic. Also different times of day will yield different results.
LTE handles traffic and speed a lot more efficient than the old 3G standard so I have faith it wont slow down as bad.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Still very fast here.
It all varies by location and traffic. Also different times of day will yield different results.
LTE handles traffic and speed a lot more efficient than the old 3G standard so I have faith it wont slow down as bad.

Not to mention that LTE is better equipped in the mathematics department to handle such huge file transfers. From an Engineering standpoint, LTE is a great achievement (transmitting a signal and being able to properly decode it in a negative SNR environment is itself an achievement).

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Speed has decreased as more LTE activations have taken place. Even in the big cities like NY its obvious that LTE has slowed down.
Theres been several Forums on this already.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Speed has decreased as more LTE activations have taken place. Even in the big cities like NY its obvious that LTE has slowed down.
Theres been several Forums on this already.

Still though, I think we're getting spoiled with those crazy speeds.:D
On a cellphone getting 63mbps or 15mpbs download wont really make any difference to the user. Wether that's streaming audio, video, browsing the internet or updating an app.
If it falls down to 2-3mb then you will be able to tell but when its still up over 10mbps it will be unnoticeable to all besides us that do a bunch of speedtests all the time:D

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Still though, I think we're getting spoiled with those crazy speeds.:D
On a cellphone getting 63mbps or 15mpbs download wont really make any difference to the user. Wether that's streaming audio, video, browsing the internet or updating an app.
If it falls down to 2-3mb then you will be able to tell but when its still up over 10mbps it will be unnoticeable to all besides us that do a bunch of speedtests all the time:D

Depends on the pipeline bottleneck. Right now, 3G networks can be a bottleneck. But LTE fast speeds move the bottleneck elsewhere (usually the device itself or a server connection); assuming fast 15Mb/s+ LTE speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.