Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lostsol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I haven't moved to ios 6 in my 4s yet. Since the YouTube app is removed in 6 -- do YouTube links open in the mobile version of YouTube?

What happens if you have installed the new YouTube app from he app store ? Do the links then open in that app?

Just curious because I felt the old iOS YouTube was so slow that I disabled it in the restrictions and used only the mobile app.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Youtube links in safari will open the new Google YouTube app if you have it installed.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Youtube links in safari will open the new Google YouTube app if you have it installed.

I like the YouTube app when I am in the mood for a YouTube watching marathon, but I don't like how I am forced to the app when I'm browsing in safari. Can I disable opening the app and just have safari go to the YouTube site or mobile site when on my iPad or iPhone?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Sometimes they will, but occassionally they won't. URL redirection doesn't seem very consistent.

I think it tends to misidentify links from to YouTube Mobile, but not 100% on that.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
IF YOU DONT HAVE THE YOUTUBE APP, THE VID WILL PLAY IN SAFARI.
case closed.

I KNOW... Case OPENED.

Let me waste some time and energy and repeat myself in case you didn't actually read my post, but took the time to try to "help" me with your infinite wizzzzdom.

I like the YouTube app when I am in the mood for a YouTube watching marathon, but I don't like how I am forced to the app when I'm browsing in safari. Can I disable opening the app and just have safari go to the YouTube site or mobile site when on my iPad or iPhone?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I KNOW... Case OPENED.

Let me waste some time and energy and repeat myself in case you didn't actually read my post, but took the time to try to "help" me with your infinite wizzzzdom.

NO, you can't. case closed again.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
NO, you can't. case closed again.

That's a better answer than the non-sequitur you gave earlier. You were affirming the consequent.

If you don't have the YouTube app, then you can play videos in safari. This is true. BUT
If you can play videos in safari...
That doesn't mean you have to NOT have the YouTube app.

Because there could be a setting to disable referring to the YouTube app within settings that I do not know of... Which is exactly what I was asking.

And that is exactly why your post was useless. It was an invalid non-sequitur argument because it was affirming the consequent.

Last edited:

oomek

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
Playback quality of embedded videos in Safari on IOS6 is rubbish, maximum 480p from what i observed. I wish they could open in the Youtube app like when clicking on the YT links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.