Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
This is with a game or two and watched a short 5 minute video. No LTE browsing. Had almost all location services, push services, and notifications off. Wifi and Bluetooth are off. Brightness at lowest setting. Charged fully initially and subsequently a couple times already. I know quite a few others are experiencing this as well. Do you think this has to to with iOS 6? This is truly abysmal!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,285

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
So, I just got home and I figured I have 4% battery life left I might as well play a video and let it run dead. Well, its been about 20 minutes now and it's still going as I type this! It is stuck at 1% and still going! This is leading me to believe that iOS 6 is accurately telling the correct percentage??

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Well, it lasted about 35 minutes before shutting off. I was kinda hoping for more. Charging it now, hopefully tomorrow would be different news.

iphonetravel

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
EU
Same issue here. Also hot phone. 4 hours charge maybe 5 with light usage.

Left it under my pillow the other night charging and was almost too hot to touch in the morning.

Something just not right here. Either poor hardware or software or both. First time I'm now seriously considering looking at other phones which is a shame as I love the screen.

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
Same issue here. Also hot phone. 4 hours charge maybe 5 with light usage.

Left it under my pillow the other night charging and was almost too hot to touch in the morning.

Something just not right here. Either poor hardware or software or both. First time I'm now seriously considering looking at other phones which is a shame as I love the screen.

I'm having battery issues, too, but why in the world would you think it's ok to charge the phone under a pillow??? Of course it will get hot!

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I'd be careful of charging the phone or any electronic device under a pillow, poor ventilation.

So I tried conditioning the battery last night. Once it fully drained, I plugged it in and left it overnight. I've been running some tests here at work and here's what I have so far.

1 hour of standby 94% down to 92%. So it is a little better than yesterday; it is not down 10% in an hour of standby.

Will keep updating as the day goes on. I'm hungry and breakfast awaits me. :)

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I had horrible battery life day 1 and 2. I'm using LTE only (no wifi) to really test it out. The last couple of days I let it run down all the way to 0, literally powered off by itself, before putting on the charger overnight. After doing that the battery life is much better. Yesterday the phone was off the charger at 7am, all day of LTE which some browsing, navigation, app updating, emails, texts, a short phone call and by 11pm the battery was at 30%.

I would recommend fully draining it a few cycles...

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks kevroc, that's exactly what I did 3 times. I think it helped a little bit, but it could be the placebo effect, not sure. I think the flip-flop of cellular networks here at work is what is draining my battery fast. Also, those tap and wait games left open really drain my battery fast as well. Having those options turned off made a huge difference. I even ran a test at home over the weekend. I had pandora streaming all night, well most of the night and wifi on the entire time. I got something like 1+ day standby and 14+ hours of usage out of it.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
My iPhone 5 gets pretty hot when charging and I have in the fat otter box defender case. I'm worried the defender is cooking my iphone 5 during charging. :eek:

iphonetravel

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
EU
Good news. Went to apple store and reported issues. They issued a new phone to me on the spot. New phone does not suffer from the overheating nor battery draining issues. Much happier.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Mine doesn't get hot at all luckily. Congrats on the exchange, hopfully your battery will stay that way. I think I have pretty darn good battery life. Like I said I was able to get 14+ usage and 1 day+ standby (this was at home with full LTE and wifi on). At work, forget about it lol.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
ive found by turning off 3G my battery will last 3days with heavy usage. its the iPhone 5 aswel, don't get LTE where i am in the UK but its the cellular that drains the battery even when the iphone is 'off'. by turning 3G off the percentage just doesn't drop at all when the phone is in standby.
When your at home on your wifi, the LTE will still be draining battery if left on...this is something jailbrakers can tweek by having '3G' turn off when connected to wifi...to save manually doing it. Apple should really just implement this as standard. ...but..LTE is super fast i imagine and you don't want to turn it off...or just turn it on when you need it do you? ...so, i guess you'll just have to live with poor battery.

..just to add, if i leave 3G 'on' then my battery needs charging by i go to bed...so it lasts 1 day. - while the phone is in your pocket it's constantly searching for that '3G' - 'LTE' signal...which kills battery

jon snow

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Florida
I was having battery issues with my 5. I restored as a new phone, not using my backup and my battery life improved significantly.

Midwesterner

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I heard doing a DFU restore would help combat the batt problems...can anyone confirm this?

Done a DFU restore, set up as a new phone, reset settings, toggled every possible thing on the phone and nothing works. Brought phone to apple and they ran hardware test: all ok. Just replaced the sim today and am tracking results.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.