Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
hlkc
macrumors regular

Activitate IPhone with NO ATT data plan

Upgraded to iP5 and looking a way to give the iP4 to my kid. The problem is I just want to give her a phone but not the data plan. According to ATT, as soon as I port his number to the old iP4, ATT will start to charge data plan since iPhone consider a smartphone. I'm wondering anyone here successfully to have their iPhone activate without any data plan in ATT? If so, can you please share how did you manage to do that? Thanks!
hlkc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

No chance. Kids should not even have iPhones anyway. Get em a normal non internet phone.

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

You would need a SIM from a dumb phone to put into the iPhone. However, if detected, ATT can add on a data plan without notice.

Alternatively I think you could use a pay as you go SIM.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:14 PM   #4
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Switch to mobile sharing. Probably the only way to let him use the iPhone 4. Cause att requires data on iPhones.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5
hlkc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator24765 View Post
No chance. Kids should not even have iPhones anyway. Get em a normal non internet phone.
Agree, I don't want to kill her that's why I want to give her just a phone, which she has it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
You would need a SIM from a dumb phone to put into the iPhone. However, if detected, ATT can add on a data plan without notice.

Alternatively I think you could use a pay as you go SIM.
Thought about that but I afraid ATT will detect it and start charging it...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Switch to mobile sharing. Probably the only way to let him use the iPhone 4. Cause att requires data on iPhones.
Sorry what is mobile sharing? Can I restrict a line/number with no data?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
xyion1
macrumors member

i was thinking about gifting my unlocked iP4 to my parents. i know they can sweep the IMEI and add a data plan, but would it help if I shut of cellular data (the toggle)?
xyion1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
hlkc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyion1 View Post
i was thinking about gifting my unlocked iP4 to my parents. i know they can sweep the IMEI and add a data plan, but would it help if I shut of cellular data (the toggle)?
Good question. Can I do that before I put her SIMM in?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
nostresshere
macrumors 68020

ATT requires a data plan with all smart phones.

Period.

If you want to set up the iphone as an IPOD with no phone service, that will work. Repeat, zero phone service. Wifi is okay.
nostresshere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyion1 View Post
No, they identify the type of phone from the IMEI.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:54 PM   #10
SevenOfNine
macrumors newbie

This can be done. you need to periodically (a few times atleast) call ATT and tell them you have a dumb phone and dont need data. they will stop bugging after a few times. I have this working now
SevenOfNine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:55 PM   #11
617aircav
macrumors 68030

The only way to use a smart phone without a data plan on att post paid is if the phone is not in atts database. All iPhones are in atts database. Att will recognize the phone. I was using a non branded HTC one x on att with the $15 unlimited data plan for dumb phones for a few months. A day ago I put the sim in a blackberry torch to test the phone. The next day att changed my data plan to $30.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
msaftw
macrumors member

Whenever I had a BlackBerry while awaiting a iPhone repair I cancelled data for fear of switching to a BlackBerry plan and getting charged pro-rated charges, AT&T informed me if you call them and tell them you do NOT want data they can put a watch on the line. Meaning it will NOT automatically add the data plan even if you detect the iPhone. But that means you won't be able to receive pictures or anything since data will be restricted.
msaftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:59 PM   #13
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaftw View Post
Whenever I had a BlackBerry while awaiting a iPhone repair I cancelled data for fear of switching to a BlackBerry plan and getting charged pro-rated charges, AT&T informed me if you call them and tell them you do NOT want data they can put a watch on the line. Meaning it will NOT automatically add the data plan even if you detect the iPhone. But that means you won't be able to receive pictures or anything since data will be restricted.
are you saying there is a way to use iphone without a data plan? that would be great for my dad
unlimitedx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Can you go into this a little more? I usually give my GF my previous phone when I upgrade (she's rocking the 3G now waiting for my phone) but she can't really afford a data plan right now and don't want to give her something she can't really use. Also, would this screw up my current grandfathered unlimited plan? Thanks in advance.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Att will not knowingly let you use a smartphone without a data plan. No way around this.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:06 PM   #16
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Can you go into this a little more? I usually give my GF my previous phone when I upgrade (she's rocking the 3G now waiting for my phone) but she can't really afford a data plan right now and don't want to give her something she can't really use. Also, would this screw up my current grandfathered unlimited plan? Thanks in advance.
Have her read the contract, as well as any changes/updates, AT&T REQUIRES a data plan with every smartphone - if you don't have one, they will add it for you.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:20 PM   #17
dave006
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
AT&T has new Mobile Share plans that allow up to 10 devices to share a single bucket of data with Unlimited voice / SMS Txt.

Swing by here and read the details: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dat...7s5RIevU_?tab2

Note: If you convert to a Mobile Share plan then yes you will have to give up your grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Dave

----------

Quote:
Blocking data plans is only valid on non-smartphones. AT&T requires all Smartphones to have a valid data plan for any post-paid accounts!

All iPhones will be found in system sweeps based on the IMEI that the iPhones shares with the network every time you connect near by AT&T cell tower.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:25 PM   #18
nostresshere
macrumors 68020

With all this said, and I was one of them, I need to share something.

We gave an older iphone3 to my mother. She still does not have a data plan. Makes no sense to me, but that is real. Other 3 phones have data plans.

I do remember the required data plan thing a few years ago. Added a older Samsung Blackjack and within a day it had data added on me.
nostresshere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:49 PM   #19
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
The only way to use a smart phone without a data plan on att post paid is if the phone is not in atts database. All iPhones are in atts database. Att will recognize the phone. I was using a non branded HTC one x on att with the $15 unlimited data plan for dumb phones for a few months. A day ago I put the sim in a blackberry torch to test the phone. The next day att changed my data plan to $30.
Verizon iPhone 5 models are not in their DB, just a heads up. I tried adding my IMEI from Verizon to a work ATT line today to setup a SIM for it with unlimited international data when I travel. ATT wouldn't recognize the IMEI though.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:56 PM   #20
xiacexi
macrumors newbie

Still waiting for my unlocked iPhone but when I activate it they won't charge me extra for the dataplan right? I purposely got it unlocked because I didn't want to get the extra iPhone charges, I have an android with a 2GB Data Plan that is cheaper than the iPhone's plan :S
xiacexi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:57 PM   #21
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiacexi View Post
Still waiting for my unlocked iPhone but when I activate it they won't charge me extra for the dataplan right? I purposely got it unlocked because I didn't want to get the extra iPhone charges, I have an android with a 2GB Data Plan that is cheaper than the iPhone's plan :S
You will get charged. It doesn't matter if it locked or not.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:06 PM   #22
xiacexi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
You will get charged. It doesn't matter if it locked or not.
Even though I already have a smartphone data plan? Ughhh how much more do they charge for the iPhone? Might just sell this crap then.
Quote:
You should be able to keep the same plan.
Phew. Sorry I kind of hijaked the thread there >.>

Last edited by xiacexi; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
xiacexi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:07 PM   #23
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiacexi View Post
Even though I already have a smartphone data plan? Ughhh how much more do they charge for the iPhone? Might just sell this crap then.
You should be able to keep the same plan.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:38 PM   #24
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Have her read the contract, as well as any changes/updates, AT&T REQUIRES a data plan with every smartphone - if you don't have one, they will add it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
AT&T has new Mobile Share plans that allow up to 10 devices to share a single bucket of data with Unlimited voice / SMS Txt.

Swing by here and read the details: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dat...7s5RIevU_?tab2

Note: If you convert to a Mobile Share plan then yes you will have to give up your grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Dave

----------

Blocking data plans is only valid on non-smartphones. AT&T requires all Smartphones to have a valid data plan for any post-paid accounts!

All iPhones will be found in system sweeps based on the IMEI that the iPhones shares with the network every time you connect near by AT&T cell tower.

Dave
Thanks guys, appreciate the information and push to actually do my own research :-)
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:02 PM   #25
snook911
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post
Upgraded to iP5 and looking a way to give the iP4 to my kid. The problem is I just want to give her a phone but not the data plan. According to ATT, as soon as I port his number to the old iP4, ATT will start to charge data plan since iPhone consider a smartphone. I'm wondering anyone here successfully to have their iPhone activate without any data plan in ATT? If so, can you please share how did you manage to do that? Thanks!
What you can do if you are on the mobile share plan is start a family plan which will give her access to the shared data. You can then go into restrictions(which is password protected) and restrict just about everything that would use data. That way you would be using all the data and she would have a phone that would not use data (although her phone probably would still use some data she would not have access to the things you would want to restict) You might be able to call and have at&t block the data from her phone. I don't think they care if its blocked as long as your paying for it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone