Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
TouchArchive
macrumors member

Upgrade to vBulletin Connect 5?

MacRumors new version will give more secure and safety .Do you prefer?
TouchArchive is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchArchive View Post
Looks very nice and clean but it's in beta. Kinda ironic how their own forums is running 4.2.0. Still, an upgrade would be awesome. It's severely needed.

Last edited by Ddyracer; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
Looks very nice and clean but it's in beta. Kinda ironic how their own forums is running 4.2.0. Still, an upgrade would be awesome. It's severely needed.
vB5 doesn't seem like it's in a ready state to me.

People can play with it here: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

arn

----------

Quote:
any particular features you are missing?

arn
arn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Their own forums run 4.2 because vB 5 Connect is a BETA and should not be run in a production environment.

I don't think vBulletin Connect is a good software to "upgrade" to. It changes a lot of things, and not necessarily for the better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post

arn
User reputation?
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:54 AM   #5
TouchArchive
macrumors member

Quote:
vBulletin 3.X Owned Licenses - If you're using a product that is end-of-life, we will continue to try and assist as best we can. However there will be no bug-fixes on this software. You will maintain access to Expedited Ticket Support under the License Agreement for your software.

I am afraid that not good
TouchArchive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:43 AM   #6
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:

I am afraid that not good
What are you afraid of and what are you hoping to sell? I think arn and his team are quite capable of ensuring the forum software runs smoothly.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
vB5 doesn't seem like it's in a ready state to me.

People can play with it here: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

arn

----------

arn
Honestly, i just want a cleaner look that's all. I agree with you on vBulletin 5 it's beta like i said, perhaps wait a a few months or maybe half a year then upgrade?
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:35 PM   #8
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Honestly, i just want a cleaner look that's all. I agree with you on vBulletin 5 it's beta like i said, perhaps wait a a few months or maybe half a year then upgrade?
Cleaner look? What do you feel is not so clean of a look here? I feel that MR uses a quite minimalistic look overall and I happen to like it.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Cleaner look? What do you feel is not so clean of a look here? I feel that MR uses a quite minimalistic look overall and I happen to like it.
I think meant more eye candy. Current forum looks like it's from the early 00's. Homepage is ok though.
Ddyracer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:33 AM   #10
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to squeeks
Forum Software

I know it would be a major undertaking, especially considering some of the custom features that are installed, and the massive size of the database. But Macrumors is currently running 2 generations behind the current version of Vbulletin. Are there any plans to upgrade to 5.0?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:52 AM   #11
ct2k7
macrumors 603

No, just no.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:20 AM   #12
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks View Post
I know it would be a major undertaking, especially considering some of the custom features that are installed, and the massive size of the database. But Macrumors is currently running 2 generations behind the current version of Vbulletin. Are there any plans to upgrade to 5.0?
Vb5 is not fit for purpose. The software has been massively screwed up beyond repair. Vb3 is fine for now, however when it comes to the point where it needs replacing, XenForo is the logical choice. It's clean, easy to use and miles more stable and powerful than the 10+ year old codebase vbulletin is using
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:41 AM   #13
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Vb5 is not fit for purpose. The software has been massively screwed up beyond repair. Vb3 is fine for now, however when it comes to the point where it needs replacing, XenForo is the logical choice. It's clean, easy to use and miles more stable and powerful than the 10+ year old codebase vbulletin is using
Screwed beyond repair is an understatement.

XenForo is a good choice, but, there'd be a lot of work involved in migration.

That said, DigitalPoint did make the move.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:43 AM   #14
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
Screwed beyond repair is an understatement.

XenForo is a good choice, but, there'd be a lot of work involved in migration.

That said, DigitalPoint did make the move.
Yeah Digitalpoint did a great job of the move. I moved a vB3.x forum over last year and it only took a couple of hours once we planned it all out. All links mapped correctly, plugins worked fine, etc.

AVForums is moving soon, that'll be a good one to watch!

And yeah, wouldn't trust crappy vBulletin anymore, or the imoral idiots running it. They posted (and admitted it) fake reviews on TrustPilot, they are advertising vB5 as released, when its still in beta, they list a load of features that dont exist, they havent updated the vB4 line in ages, and the people in charge have no idea what they are doing - its quite shocking how thick they are.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
... they havent updated the vB4 line in ages...
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...64#post3964164

I think vB4 is doing well. That's where I'd like to see us go, although Xenforo would make me happy as well. As long as we got CKEditor, or Raptor, or something other than TinyMCE.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #16
hexonxonx
Banned

I've noticed that several forums that have been around since the old vB 2.0 days have abandoned ship and migrated to other forum software.

I think the fact that many of the old devs have left and the fact that it is no longer Jelsoft explains why it is a mess today.

I tried installing the latest 5 on two forums and the organization of key tools is a mess. The posting options have become too overly complicated also.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:19 PM   #17
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...64#post3964164

I think vB4 is doing well. That's where I'd like to see us go, although Xenforo would make me happy as well. As long as we got CKEditor, or Raptor, or something other than TinyMCE.
Ahh they finally updated it - its about time.

I still wouldn't use it though. Whilst 4 was 'usable' it was still a terrible mess. The quality of code in both vB4 and 5 is really amateur. A lot of this was highlighted in the licensed customer forums a while back.

A bargepole comes to mind when I think of vB these days.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I've noticed that several forums that have been around since the old vB 2.0 days have abandoned ship and migrated to other forum software.

I think the fact that many of the old devs have left and the fact that it is no longer Jelsoft explains why it is a mess today.

I tried installing the latest 5 on two forums and the organization of key tools is a mess. The posting options have become too overly complicated also.
Yup, Kier and Mike were the lead developers on vB3 years ago, and did a good job of it. From what I can understand, they were in the middle of a complete rewrite, which was to be vB4, however Internet Brands made them stop work on it, and instead make (unnecessary) changes to vB3 and release it as vB4 - both rejected that idea and left. So a bunch of (mostly) contract developers were instead brought in to work on it. They created what we know as vB4, with one of the ugliest forum skins ever.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback