Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
OSMac
macrumors 65816

IPhone 5 Safari Scrolling not as smooth ?

Using a iPhone 5 noticed scrolling in Safari is not as smooth as expected. You can really see the differnce comparing Safari scrolling on a ipad 3 with iOS 5 to the iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

On the iPad a quick swipe up or down gives a nice natural decelerating rolling motion but with the new iPhone, it just quickly stops.

Is this a Safari iOS 6 change seen on all devices or just the iPhone 5?
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
Using a iPhone 5 noticed scrolling in Safari is not as smooth as expected. You can really see the differnce comparing Safari scrolling on a ipad 3 with iOS 5 to the iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

On the iPad a quick swipe up or down gives a nice natural decelerating rolling motion but with the new iPhone, it just quickly stops.

Is this a Safari iOS 6 change seen on all devices or just the iPhone 5?
seems good to me!
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3
brberg
macrumors member

Seen this same issue with my new iPhone 5. Takes many swipes up or down the page because there doesn't appear to be any acceleration. Any fix for this issue?
brberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Try restarting your phone? try a soft reset first, if not do a hard reset ( hold power button and top button till phone completely shuts off) that should do it
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
bgro
macrumors 6502

I see what you mean but I see the same thing happening on my 4S also (also tested on the 5). Probably an iOS thing on the iPhones although I haven't really seen if the same "issue" exists on my iPad. Never really noticed it to be honest.
bgro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:14 AM   #6
OSMac
macrumors 65816

A flick scroll seems much more natural on the iOS 5 ipad.
Its that smooth rolling scroll that Android was never able to equal.
On the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 Safari it's lost that effect for some reason.

Interestingly, on the iPhone 5, if you go to the settings app and flick scroll a long page of items the scroll behavior is much different than Safari.

It's not a big deal but just surprised as I always felt Apple had perfected browser scrolling on the ipad and now the iPhone 5 no longer acts the same.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:22 AM   #7
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Mine is super smooth and like butter.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:29 AM   #8
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
Its not the smoothness its the lack of a slow decelerating scroll.
On the new iPhone if I flick scroll it stops pretty much when I let go of the screen.

On the ipad it senses the force of the flick and gently scrolls to a stop accordingly.

If you have an iPad on iOS 5 compare it to the new iPhone.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:32 AM   #9
needfx
macrumors 68020

no "safari seems snappier" comments?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:31 AM   #10
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Its not the smoothness its the lack of a slow decelerating scroll.
On the new iPhone if I flick scroll it stops pretty much when I let go of the screen.

On the ipad it senses the force of the flick and gently scrolls to a stop accordingly.

If you have an iPad on iOS 5 compare it to the new iPhone.
Ah, ok. Interesting.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Cynikal.Mindset
macrumors 6502a

maybe its an ipad vs iphone/ipod touch thing or its just more noticable on a bigger screen on the ipods and iphones I have tested this with they all are basically the same from iOS 4 to iOS 6. I don't have an iPad to look at and check though.
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:48 AM   #12
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure it has always been this way. I say this because I have an iPad, iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 4th gen (Still on iOS 5.)

On larger devices (iPad) the scrolling is a lot more loose, probably because you are more zoomed in and scrolling through more content at once. On smaller devices you are typically zoomed all the way out, so a small flick with the "iPad algorithm" would go straight to the bottom of the page. Comparing iPad to mac it seems the Mac scrolls even faster.

And lets clear up the definition of "smooth scrolling" - it is the content on screen scrolling smoothly, not anything to do with the velocity given to your touch input. Just want to clarify before this thread becomes "scrollgate" on tech crunch.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:11 AM   #13
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
I'm pretty sure it has always been this way. ...

Just want to clarify before this thread becomes "scrollgate" on tech crunch.
Thanks, so the iPad always scrolled differently than the any of the phones.
Then it's not a iPhone 5 or iOS 6 change. I have not had a iPhone for a while.

Your right both have a fine framerate, its not stuttering, but the roll on the iPhone in Safari is very resistant compared to the iPad. I prefer the iPad method but as you say it may be by design given the screen sizes.

Last edited by OSMac; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:15 AM   #14
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thanks, so iPad always scrolled differently than the any of the phones.
Then it's not a iPhone 5 or iOS 6 change.

Your right both have a fine framerate, its not stuttering, but the roll on the iPhone is very resistant compared to the iPad. I prefer the iPad method but as you say it may be by design given the screen sizes.
Yeah I never really noticed the difference until now as it seems to only be different in Safari. And typically I only use iPhone Safari for quick searches rather than extended browsing sessions.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Mrg02d
Banned

This was a major reason for switching from a 4s to my gs3. My GS3 is much nicer at scrolling.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #16
boylerman
macrumors member

I've noticed it on my iPhone 5 in Safari as well. On my iPad 3 with iOS6, Safari scrolling is much more natural - it handles the "momentum" in the manner we've grown accustomed to. On the iPhone 5, it feels like the "brakes" are dragging a bit.

I have noticed that the scroll behavior seems to work properly on my iPhone 5 if I open the bookmarks list.

I hope this gets addressed in an update.
boylerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylerman View Post
I've noticed it on my iPhone 5 in Safari as well. On my iPad 3 with iOS6, Safari scrolling is much more natural - it handles the "momentum" in the manner we've grown accustomed to. On the iPhone 5, it feels like the "brakes" are dragging a bit.

I have noticed that the scroll behavior seems to work properly on my iPhone 5 if I open the bookmarks list.

I hope this gets addressed in an update.
Hopefully because it takes away from the premium feel.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:08 AM   #18
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

I notice this as well. It makes the whole phone feeling deficient because the scroll speed is constant and there is no natural deceleration and acceleration iOS is known for.
kockgunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:16 AM   #19
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
yup
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:20 AM   #20
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
It can't be not on safari. iPhone operating system isn't designed to scroll fast up and down like iPad . I can get a smooth fast scroll say in the music app scrolling through all my songs but on safari it's just not meant to scroll that way in safari
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone