Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaddieBrad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
New York City
So I am getting all sorts of mixed replies to people I ask @ different sources.
I have heard that if you purchase a Verizon iPhone 5 and then activate it with a GSM (AT&T) sim that it will be unlocked to all sims in the US, and INCLUDE LTE service. Is this a myth? I purchased a Verizon iPhone 5 today and stuck a dead at&t sim in the phone to activate and then put my Verizon sim back in to activate onto Verizon network Later I stuck a friends active AT&T sim in and although AT&T worked, there was no LTE service.

So basically... I need to know if you can get LTE service on a Verizon iPhone 5 using an AT&T sim. Would prefer people who have actually done this to reply... Please no speculators!

Regards,

B

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You won't get AT&T lte.
The CDMA works on these

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

AT&T uses 17 usually

I've never tried it but there is no need to try it.. Just look at what bands it supports. Lol

Source:http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

MaddieBrad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
New York City
I've never tried it but there is no need to try it.. Just look at what bands it supports. Lol

Source:http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I know I know... I know what the specs say and all that, but I have just heard murmuring of this being an unsupported sort of glitch. I got the 4g when I put in the AT&T sim, just not LTE. I thought maybe it was because I used a non activated sim when I first turned on my Verizon phone.

Anyone else have any input??? I realize I am looking for the shooter in the grassy knoll... Just trying to cover all the bases.

B

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
I know I know... I know what the specs say and all that, but I have just heard murmuring of this being an unsupported sort of glitch. I got the 4g when I put in the AT&T sim, just not LTE. I thought maybe it was because I used a non activated sim when I first turned on my Verizon phone.

Anyone else have any input??? I realize I am looking for the shooter in the grassy knoll... Just trying to cover all the bases.

B
Yes. You can NOT connect to AT&T's LTE using any Verizon LTE device. It's impossible from the technical standpoint.

Besides the fact that AT&T uses a completely different LTE band, the real issue is the inverted Down/Up frequency which requires a separate PA, Filters, Tuners, but it's impossible to squeeze into a small handheld AND avoid the interference. AT&T uses the higher frequency 10Mhz spectrum slice for Downlink and lower for the Uplink, while Verizon has that inverted. The two bands are too close to each other also.

You can get LTE on other global GSM/LTE networks using your Verizon iPhone 5!

MaddieBrad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
New York City
Yes. You can NOT connect to AT&T's LTE using any Verizon LTE device. It's impossible from the technical standpoint.

Besides the fact that AT&T uses a completely different LTE band, the real issue is the inverted Down/Up frequency which requires a separate PA, Filters, Tuners, but it's impossible to squeeze into a small handheld AND avoid the interference. AT&T uses the higher frequency 10Mhz spectrum slice for Downlink and lower for the Uplink, while Verizon has that inverted. The two bands are too close to each other also.

You can get LTE on other global GSM/LTE networks using your Verizon iPhone 5!

Thank you very much for the clear, concise, factual, and technical reply!

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.