Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I decided to make a checklist of the most complained about issues to check for when I finally receive my new iPhone 5 later this week.

• Dings and scratches straight out of the box
  • WiFi Speed slow
  • Light bleed near sleep/wake button from LCD screen
  • Yellow LCD tint
  • Camera showing PURPLE when shooting near any light source
  • Sound quality from microphone sounding UN-natural

Anyone care to add to this?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I decided to make a checklist of the most complained about issues to check for when I finally receive my new iPhone 5 later this week.

• WiFi Speed slow
  • Light bleed near home button from LCD screen
  • Yellow LCD tint

My phone has - Dings (not bad), Camera does show purple when light source just off the screen. The others no.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

• WiFi Speed slow
  • Light bleed near home button from LCD screen
  • Yellow LCD tint

Light bleed from near sleep/wake button is something someone experienced somewhere.

Also loose battery, not to be confused with the camera autofocus rattling.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

• WiFi Speed slow
  • Yellow LCD tint

Software issue: Distorted keyboard when inputting password into App Store.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Software issue: Distorted keyboard when inputting password into App Store.

Not an iPhone 5 issue...happens on the 4S with iOS 6 too...it's just an iOS 6 bug.

As to the phone...most of these are way overblown.

I had one tiny nick out of the box...other than that, finish has been durable.

Yes, if in the exact right position, the camera lens will flare. This one is being WAY overblown. In addition to it happening on many other cameraphones, it honestly rarely rears its head, and, well, it's not exactly a $2,000 camera...they have to make some sacrifices in lens design.

Other than that, haven't experienced any of these. WiFi speed is fine for me, my screen is perfect, etc...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I was experiencing the slow wifi speed, but I just tested 10 seconds ago and everything is back to normal. (Was < 500 Kbps, now 10Mbps.)

Other than that I have seen the purple haze from the camera, but only in badly framed shots (Should be shooting with the sun behind you when possible.)

But haven't experienced any of the others.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

• WiFi Speed slow
  • Yellow LCD tint

This list makes me want to cancel my "pre-order". I know forums are places where people typically only complain about issues, but still...

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
This list makes me want to cancel my "pre-order". I know forums are places where people typically only complain about issues, but still...

Well.. I really want the phone to be perfect when I get it, so I want to check for these issues right off the bat without waiting too long. I'm sure the majority of phones will be defect free.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010

• WiFi Speed slow
  • Yellow LCD tint

CNN "5 complains about the iphone 5" included too light and could blow away.. lightening cable can't be gotten and is expense..

lls4f

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
United States
Push notification isn't working for email. Seems like a bug that involves an interaction of iPhone 5 and iOS6 since push still works on iPhone 4s running iOS6 and iPads running iOS6.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Push notification isn't working for email. Seems like a bug that involves an interaction of iPhone 5 and iOS6 since push still works on iPhone 4s running iOS6 and iPads running iOS6.

My power/lock button just crapped out. Add that to the list.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
My power/lock button just crapped out. Add that to the list.

Well that would be an obvious defect.. looking for some non-obvious ones. You have to press that button multiple times a day. Something like LCD light bleed or purple fringing, you may not notice right away..

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

• WiFi Speed slow
  • Yellow LCD tint

lower than expected battery life.:(

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Looks more like you decided to make a thread you were the OP of instead of just keeping a personal list that you could make by glancing at the forum.

Ouch! That's what a forum is for! This is actually a good thread to have, consolidating the issues so I can add to my list of gates!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Well.. I really want the phone to be perfect when I get it, so I want to check for these issues right off the bat without waiting too long. I'm sure the majority of phones will be defect free.

Oh I gotcha. I want the same as well. I just wish the new iPhone had better quality control.

Kase17

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Idk if this has happened to anyone. I got iPhone 5 on launch day and when I was downloading my apps and organizing them into my folders, the iPhone respring about 3 times. I found this odd. So few day later I'm having the battery issues only getting barely 4 hours just from email, browsing, flipboard and text. So yesterday I took it back to apple and exchanged it for a new one. Now after I got home last night I did a clean restore from iTunes just to be safe and viola when downloading the apps and organizing them into folders the phone resprings randomly twice. Anybody else experiencing this with iPhone 5 or previous gens?

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
My wifi keeps showing up "not connected" if my phone is locked or after about 5 minutes.

Voice calls sounds like a whirling sound that comes and goes

slow Wifi

Battery Drain

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ouch! That's what a forum is for! This is actually a good thread to have, consolidating the issues so I can add to my list of gates!

Here's a couple to add to your list...

Bill-Gates-9307520-1-402.jpg

gatesmcfadden1.jpg

G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.