Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webvamsi555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Hi All,

I am new to Mac, OSX & MBP World,i bought My MBP 3 days Back, Non Retina with 1TB-HDD, 16Gb Ram 2.66-Quad & i Love it so much than my PC/laptop, But I frustrated this Partition thing, i red many blogs no clear Solution as per my Requirement so i thought this was best place to Ask.

Please Throw some Light, As you were all Advanced Apple MAC Users, Straight to REQUIREMENT i need 3 Partitions form 1TB HDD

1) OSX Mountain Lion == 350GB
2) Boot-camp Win7 or 2008 == 250GB
3) Shared Drive/partition == (Remaining)
My idea is-- if it was NTFS i can use NTFS application in OSX to Rean and Write. as well in windows

Tried Scenarios:

1)Fresh New osx, make Boot camp Partition-- didn't install win, but went to Disk Util, to Shrink OSX partition to 500GB FAT, restarted ... i can install Boot-camp but that Partition remains Unknown !

2) Fresh OSX with 1Tb -> Made Boot-camp Partition of 600GB, went to installation in Drive selection i can Delete that Boot-camp partition but Cant Split in to TWO

3)Made Boot-camp Partition of 600GB, install Win 7 completely, after i went to disc manager, Shrink C drive to 300GB after i made it to Format NTFS and it asked Dynamic disc i made i restarted i ******** up .... Blue screen Error, Not Booted Win or OSX

I have read similar kind of post with Win XP...and some Tri boot Experiment ...:confused::confused:

http://davidseah.com/infotech/creating-2-windows-partitions-with-boot-camp/

http://rdonovan.com/2011/01/09/how-to-triple-boot-a-macbook-pro/#comment-219

Finally i don't want to use Parallels or VM etc, i need this kind of setup. please please Help.. Mac users i stuck with this since the day i bought .....:(:(:(

rohanprabhu

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
In your solution #1, after shrinking the partition, just create a new one and format it in the shrunk space. This is what I did to get an extra partition (actually 2 more) while installing WITH bootcamp. The only problem is that now when I try to do it, it just restarts automatically without even asking me. How do you prevent it from restarting?

webvamsi555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Try this

In your solution #1, after shrinking the partition, just create a new one and format it in the shrunk space. This is what I did to get an extra partition (actually 2 more) while installing WITH bootcamp. The only problem is that now when I try to do it, it just restarts automatically without even asking me. How do you prevent it from restarting?

Hi, i didn't Get u as u said "after shrinking the partition" -> means in Mac osx after Boot camp After Shrink ? Actually i created a new one and in Mountain lion, Only we have FAT no NTFS....format..

And u ask abt Prevention after Bootcamp Partition it will restart right .. on that time Hold Option Key .. simply select OSX and go to Disc Utility to Shrink,, and Restart Machine it will go to normal windows setup process..;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.