Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattleaesthete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hello all, any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story - I preordered the 64gb iPhone 5 from Apple, I'm on the AT&T network.

I received it last Friday, and because I have to make a lot of calls for my job, I started calling people on it using the headset. From the very beginning, it was unable to do this properly - I couldn't hear anyone, and they couldn't hear me. On my end, the sound would cut in and out, on their end, I sounded distant the whole time. I could call using the speakerphone or normal ear speaker, but not the headset.

I took it back on Saturday, and exchanged it for a new one. Went home and activated it, it also had the same issues.

Went back on Monday, exchanged it for a new one, same deal.

Went back again on Tuesday night, activated it in the store, and this time the headset seemed to work, so I left the store, happy to have finally resolved the issue. Yesterday, I tried to make a call using the normal ear speaker, and it was busted!!!

Anyway, I'm going back tonight to exchange it for my FOURTH iPhone 5. Is anyone else having issues like this? Any chance it could be operator error? I've had an iPhone since the 3G came out, so I would like to think that I know what I'm doing, but I just can't believe that the iPhone 5 would consistently perform so poorly. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Oofie

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Ha! I initially said that I was soon going to be on my 4th iPhone, but I shortened it to say that I am on my 3rd, but I forgot to change that. Oops! Good catch. :)

EDIT: Fixed it.

Haha! No worries.

As far as being on your 4th already, maybe you're just picky (?) but it's understandable. I know there's one guy here who's on his 6th phone.

seattleaesthete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Haha! No worries.

As far as being on your 4th already, maybe you're just picky (?) but it's understandable. I know there's one guy here who's on his 6th phone.

Nope - not just being picky, each time the Apple "Genius" has been able to replicate and confirm the issue. I would say that not being able to use the iPhone as a phone is a bigger problem than just being picky. :)

SWODiphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
What type of headset are you using? I saw some other posters on here saying they were having similar issues but when they used the Apple headset there were no problems.

seattleaesthete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
What type of headset are you using? I saw some other posters on here saying they were having similar issues but when they used the Apple headset there were no problems.

I'm using the new headset - earpods, I believe they are called.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
OP, i think i can relate to your issue. i have the 32gb i5 and i like to use the speaker alot when im on call. lets say i make 10 calls in one day....around 3-4 of those calls, at the very beginning of the call, THEY CANNOT HEAR ME AT ALL there saying hello hello hello and i have the speaker activated and of course im yelling into the microphone screaming CAN YOU HEAR ME. when i deactivate the speaker and go handset, THEN they can hear me. its so weird. again this happens about 40% of my calls.

then i found out the ATT store policy is they dont swap/exchange apple branded phones. so now i might have to go to the apple store and get a refurb. i dont know how im feeling about this...

chillstatus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Los Angeles
are you using the ear pods? They seem to be crap for calls

I have this issue using the ear pods - the person I'm talking to will fade in and out and it'll cut out what they're saying. So I tried a different headset, the older version that came with the iPhone 4S and it still is having the same problem.

jarablue

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
This is happening to me also. I am on Sprint and cannot make a voice call without the other end dropping out or me dropping out. I also have other issues with disconnecting with 3g showing o symbol and also getting "Could not activate cellular data network" You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

Don't know what to do. Other people over at the sprint forums are having the same issue. Thinking about taking mine back.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
No one on the other end of my calls seems to be able to hear me. This is always the case on customer service. I asked them to speak up and they turn up the volume but both of us have a very difficult time understanding the other.

It was the same way on my iPhone4 and now my iPhone5. The speaker is really bad on my new one. I was with AT&T before the iPhone5 and just switched to the Verizon. There is no noticeable improvement in the poor quality of telephone calls on the iPhone5 for me.

obstacle1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Manchester, UK
This is also happenning to me in the UK, on the Orange carrier. Highly annoying and I've had it replaced once. I rang apple today and the person told me they will replace again, but I have to set up as a new iphone not a restore from backup and this should solve the problem?

Tj13

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
I have a similar issue, i have only been able to replicate it consistently at home. On the 2nd floor of my home it's terrible quality, I can hear them fine,they can barely hear me. 1st floor gets better, stills sounds faint to the caller. As soon as I get outside its clear.
I've tried wifi on and off and no difference.
Speaker and headset sound clear,it's only the handset with the issue. I'm guessing it has something to do with the noise cancelation feature of the 3 mic's. the noise cancelation function was news to me, a colleague just mentioned it.

I'll try and switch LTE off and see if that makes a difference, my 3G and LTE coverage is low.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Well what are the chances of 4 iPhones ALL having the exact same fault? 0. Either you have an unrealistic expectation of what to get from the phone, something's up with the network or something in your backup is causing low volume levels.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Well what are the chances of 4 iPhones ALL having the exact same fault? 0. Something's up with the network or something in your backup is causing low volume levels.

Yep. OP, I suggest you restore as a new iPhone. If that doesn't fix it, it might be an issue with the network. EDIT: Just call AT&T. I doubt there's any interference.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i can understand some people having a problem with a device... granted some *usually* have problems with their device it seems they know they will exchange it before it even arrives.

but if you have to exchange THREE phones the problem is not the iPhone 5 - its you.

Tbontb12345

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I have exactly the problem you are experiencing. I went to the apple store an of course the fading in and out didn't happen there. I make calls for 60 minutes at a time, sometimes more than once a day. I work from home. As much as I could gather, IPhone4s does NOT have this problem. I compared my wife's and my own. And I can consistently reproduce it at my home office. Was offered a new phone replacement but I knew that wouldn't matter. Now this is further evidence if that. This is a serious software issue.

With earphones the callers voice fades in and out. When speaking to others, they sometimes have to ask me to repeat myself. This seems to be exacerbated by using the headphone. But I can still here the fadin in and out holding the phone to my ear.

I tried to record this **** but when I connect a 8mm jack connector between my Mac and the iphoe5, that problem disappears!!! It must have been an interaction between the iPhone's noise cancellation software and the headset mic. My guess is the nc was tune for the iPhone builtin mic and head phone.

What else have you found? I'm suffering over here. I'm bringing this up to apple later tonight. I'll let you know.

Seamac22

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Same with me...

Wow, I was hoping I was the exception. I switched from ATT to Verizon in hopes of improving my call quality and upgraded from a 3S to the iPhone 5. While I will say Verizon has not dropped any calls and ATT usually dropped at least once per call the voice quality on the earpods are awful. Un-useable. Handset and Speaker are acceptable but occasionally even the they seem to fail. I hope this thread and user complaints will lead to a rev of software to remedy this. In the meantime I may do as others have and pay a visit to the apple store.

chillstatus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Los Angeles
I have exactly the problem you are experiencing. I went to the apple store an of course the fading in and out didn't happen there. I make calls for 60 minutes at a time, sometimes more than once a day. I work from home. As much as I could gather, IPhone4s does NOT have this problem. I compared my wife's and my own. And I can consistently reproduce it at my home office. Was offered a new phone replacement but I knew that wouldn't matter. Now this is further evidence if that. This is a serious software issue.

With earphones the callers voice fades in and out. When speaking to others, they sometimes have to ask me to repeat myself. This seems to be exacerbated by using the headphone. But I can still here the fadin in and out holding the phone to my ear.

I tried to record this **** but when I connect a 8mm jack connector between my Mac and the iphoe5, that problem disappears!!! It must have been an interaction between the iPhone's noise cancellation software and the headset mic. My guess is the nc was tune for the iPhone builtin mic and head phone.

What else have you found? I'm suffering over here. I'm bringing this up to apple later tonight. I'll let you know.

I'm having the same issue. I don't have another headset to try, but the one that came with the phone will constantly make the person I'm talking to cut in and out during the call while I'm at home.

jmfv

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Poor call quality

I received my iphone 5 and immediately had the complaints about poor voice/sound quality, on the end of the receiver of my calls. Same when LTE on/off. Same whether I call them or they call me. The complaint is that my voice sounds muffled, as if I was holding the phone to my shoulder. When I select speaker phone I am instantly clear to the other person. Same if I use the included earpiece. Haven't tried bluetooth earpiece but considering it.

First step tp resolve was trip to Apple store. Replaced phone. Phone #2 did same thing. Called apple support, they couldn't understand me, said they wanted to help me with my problem but they couldn't hear what I was saying. Exactly. Second trip to Apple store, tech rep ("Genius?") couldn't replicate issue, calls to test were made in very noisy environment. Muffled sounds from my phone seem worst when calling from very quiet environment. Third trip to Apple store today, got replacement phone (phone # 3!). Same issue, no better quality.

Anyone else have this issue? Help! Paid quite a bit for 32GB black ATT phone, shame to have such poor quality.

-J

----------

After 3rd phone performed the same, went and got a 4th. That had same issues.... I called Apple service. They couldn't understand me - funny! So I had to put phone on speaker to be understood. At first he blamed me - said I must be doing something wrong. My iPhone 5 is my 12th mobile device - first was motorola 'bag phone' in 1991.... then motorola flip phone, then a series of devices from ericsson, nokia, sanyo, palm, RIM, Samsung, Apple 3G and Apple 4. NONE of these devices exhibited the issues as this new design does. I am wondering if, in their quest fior better 'noise-canceling' design they in fact screwed it up so that it muffles my voice. I wish that Apple would acknowledge this..... if we can't get it resolved soon then I will have to make the once-and-for-all jump to an Android device. Hate to do that, but if a phone doesn't work as a phone, no matter how 'smart' it is, then what's the point?

-J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.