Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
leekohler
Banned

NASA Mars rover uncovers signs of ancient streambed near equatorial landing site

This is very cool.

Quote:
Scientists say NASA’s newest Mars rover has found signs that a stream once flowed across the surface near the site where it landed.

Curiosity touched down in a crater near the Martian equator last month. The red planet today is dusty and dry but scientists think it was once warmer and wetter.

Evidence of an ancient stream came from analyzing the size and shapes of pebbles and gravel near Gale Crater. Mission scientists said Thursday it appeared the water was fast-moving and deep.

Images from space have provided hints of a watery past at Curiosity’s landing site. The latest discovery on the ground confirms that.

Curiosity is headed toward a spot where three types of terrain meet. Its ultimate destination is a mountain rising from the center of the crater.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...7bd_story.html
leekohler is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Agree completely. This is very cool. I have been following Curiosity's story and travels with absolute fascination since it landed last month.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:10 AM   #3
snberk103
macrumors 603

Well, I don't buy it. I won't be convinced this was a water way until they find '67 Chevy rusting away, or a old shopping cart, or an old rubber boot. Who ever heard of a waterway without trash in it?

OK Ok --- just kidding.... this is very cool.

At some point, once they decide that Mars did in fact support life, there is going to be an interesting debate. How complex did Martian life become? Single cell? Did it evolve to stage of lichen? Or should we be starting to look for some sort of fossilized remains? Even soft animals with no bones can leave fossilized remains.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Curiosity just happened to find a bit of fossil?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:42 PM   #4
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Well, I don't buy it. I won't be convinced this was a water way until they find '67 Chevy rusting away, or a old shopping cart, or an old rubber boot. Who ever heard of a waterway without trash in it?

OK Ok --- just kidding.... this is very cool.

At some point, once they decide that Mars did in fact support life, there is going to be an interesting debate. How complex did Martian life become? Single cell? Did it evolve to stage of lichen? Or should we be starting to look for some sort of fossilized remains? Even soft animals with no bones can leave fossilized remains.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Curiosity just happened to find a bit of fossil?
When I read this, I was sooo picturing the beginning sequence to the movie "Heavy Metal". Different car, but that is what came to mind.

Very cool story.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

What? Wait, when did this happen? I must have been too busy watching "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" to notice.

(You know I'm kidding, Curiosity is freakin' awesome!)

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events