Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pastries

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I just bought a new iPad off apple.com last friday and got it saturday. And yesterday I just noticed while using the iPad in landscape mode on safari that when I went to the home screen you could see the bars burned in and everything. I went to the apple home page and left it at the iPhone 5 picture for like 3 minutes and when I went to the home screen and to spotlight the iPhone picture was burned in.

I tried using stuck pixel gifs, and leaving the screen on for a couple hours on a blank image but it keeps coming back with whatever image is displayed for more then 1 minute.

Any suggestions what I should do? Im about to call Applecare and ask for a replacement iPad in a new box and not a refurb because the tablet isnt even a week old. I also cant go to the apple store thats 5 minutes away because they have terrible Genius's that will refuse to say that the issue is a problem and replace it, ive gone there before and had that happen several times.

Edit: Added a Photo of the problem

photo1ygh.jpg

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just bought a new iPad off apple.com last friday and got it saturday. And yesterday I just noticed while using the iPad in landscape mode on safari that when I went to the home screen you could see the bars burned in and everything. I went to the apple home page and left it at the iPhone 5 picture for like 3 minutes and when I went to the home screen and to spotlight the iPhone picture was burned in.

I tried using stuck pixel gifs, and leaving the screen on for a couple hours on a blank image but it keeps coming back with whatever image is displayed for more then 1 minute.

Any suggestions what I should do? Im about to call Applecare and ask for a replacement iPad in a new box and not a refurb because the tablet isnt even a week old. I also cant go to the apple store thats 5 minutes away because they have terrible Genius's that will refuse to say that the issue is a problem and replace it, ive gone there before and had that happen several times.

You should be able to get a direct replace,net from Apple for that problem. Can you bring it into a different Apple Store and replicate it in front of them?

Pastries

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
You should be able to get a direct replace,net from Apple for that problem. Can you bring it into a different Apple Store and replicate it in front of them?

I can probably try, ill see if I can take some pictures of the burn in and bring them with me.

Pastries

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
So I just got back from the apple store and got a brand new ipad in a new box and everything, but this ipad has the exact same problem as the last, it has image retention, just as bad as the one before. Probably because they both came from the same factory DM. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
So I just got back from the apple store and got a brand new ipad in a new box and everything, but this ipad has the exact same problem as the last, it has image retention, just as bad as the one before. Probably because they both came from the same factory DM. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Go back & check the new replacement before leaving the store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.