Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Make Donuts
macrumors newbie

AT&T: Switching from 4G to LTE iPhone 5

Title Correction: AT&T: Switching from LTE to 4G Iphone 5

I want to check to see if this is happening to anybody else, When placing a phone call it downgrades from LTE to 4G and after hanging up 4G will disappear and you have nothing displayed for up to a minute then LTE shows up? This happens to me all the time even when texting as well. I might be wrong but was it Verizon who cannot simultaneously run LTE whilst making a call and AT&T not having this problem?

Last edited by Make Donuts; Sep 27, 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: title correction input.
Make Donuts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

it drops to 4G to make the call. only data is used for LTE.
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Make Donuts
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
it drops to 4G to make the call. only data is used for LTE.

Ah, ok so 4G/HSPA+ for Calls and LTE Data.
Make Donuts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Donuts View Post
Ah, ok so 4G/HSPA+ for Calls and LTE Data.
4G/H+ for data and calls, LTE for only data.

once a call is placed, the LTE radio shuts off and switches to H+ only for the duration. no one uses LTE for voice yet, only data.
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5
jandre
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
no one uses LTE for voice yet, only data.
Meaning no one is offering Voice over LTE, as in the same concept of Voice over IP. Not to be construed with device establishing simultaneous connections to both a voice protocol/network, and an LTE protocol/network at the same time in the same way it is possible to remain connected via wifi while making a call.
jandre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:17 AM   #6
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandre View Post
Meaning no one is offering Voice over LTE, as in the same concept of Voice over IP. Not to be construed with device establishing simultaneous connections to both a voice protocol/network, and an LTE protocol/network at the same time in the same way it is possible to remain connected via wifi while making a call.
at&t will offer LTE data connection. however, once a voice call is made, bands will switch and data and voice will be sent over 850/1900, as opposed to the LTE bands. once the call is finished, the phone will revert back to both listening for calls on the 4G bands and sending/receiving data on the LTE bands.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:34 AM   #7
HaroldStewar
macrumors newbie

it drops to 4G to make the call.
HaroldStewar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:58 PM   #8
liltechdude
macrumors member

Anyone noticing that it sometimes takes forever to switch back to LTE after the phone call?

Sometimes it takes longer than a minute at which I go into settings and manually toggle the switch.

So far it seems to take, on average, about 10 seconds after ending a phone call to go back to LTE. Kind of annoying.
liltechdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:05 PM   #9
SunnyStudioNeo
macrumors regular

Switch back is fairly quick for me. Did you notice any difference when you are at different locations?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:32 PM   #10
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltechdude View Post
Anyone noticing that it sometimes takes forever to switch back to LTE after the phone call?

Sometimes it takes longer than a minute at which I go into settings and manually toggle the switch.

So far it seems to take, on average, about 10 seconds after ending a phone call to go back to LTE. Kind of annoying.
mine wont even go on LTE. i get 2 bars of LTE, then after a few minutes the phone reverts back to 4G and never goes back.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:01 AM   #11
asichevoy
macrumors newbie

LTE does not return if hotspot is ON

Well, it is known that for the voice call iphone 5 goes back to 3G/4G HSPA and it actually does return back to LTE within a minute or 2 BUT ONLY IF I AM NOT USING IT AS AN ACTIVE HOTSPOT! Anyone experienced the same? any workaround other than turning HS off and back on?
asichevoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting