Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1
famerdave
macrumors member

iPhone 5 on Verizon Prepaid.

We just got a iPhone 5 and paid 900 dollars for it at RadioShack. It's the Verizon model. I was told (by a support rep)I would be able to put it on Prepaid, but now the support is say I can't do this.

Fox News, and several other news companies are saying I can do this.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/story/2...ked/57836744/1
famerdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
rritterson
macrumors regular

unlocked and prepaid are different things. The SIM slot in the verizon phone allow you to take a SIM from any *GSM* carrier and use service. If the SIM were locked, you would only be able to use Verizon LTE SIMs.

However, while on the Verizon network they are free to set whatever (even stupid) policy they want and they don't want you to use an iPhone prepaid.

The same is true with AT&T--if they find out you are using an iPhone with a prepaid SIM, they will change your plan without telling you.

What you CAN do, however, is use the phone prepaid on T-Mobile, since they don't care what phone you have. Unfortunately, you'll only get EDGE (2G) service right now, though soon you'll have 3G. The Verizon phone is not compatible with the future T-mobile LTE network, though, so you're maxed at 3G.
rritterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3
famerdave
macrumors member

But even that USA today article says you can even us it on Prepaid. I don't understand if I purchased a iPhone, why them limit what I can put it on.

Does T-Mobile, or StraightTalk have nano sims to use, cause thats an option.
famerdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:38 PM   #4
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Yes when Verizon unlocks the SIM card slot, it is for *GSM* only. You can't use a C-SIM (LTE) from another carrier like Sprint, or MetroPCS.

GSM SIM Cards = USIM for GSM/GPRS/EDGE/HSPA + LTE
CDMA SIM Cards = CSIM/R-UIM 1xRTT/CDMA2000 + LTE

Verizon SIM cards contain both C-SIM for usage in the US, and U-SIM for international roaming. When they unlock the device, it is unlocked for other U SIMs but not CSIMs.

Verizon prepaid phones do not have a SIM slot, nor would Verizon activate a SIM card for you to use on prepaid, and that's how they artificially block out the iPhone 5 (as well as other Verizon smartphones) from being used on prepaid.

AT&T you can still use it on prepaid (as its GSM) but they will still make you pay for a data plan to use it on prepaid.

Last edited by dontwalkhand; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
dontwalkhand is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by famerdave View Post
Does T-Mobile, or StraightTalk have nano sims to use, cause thats an option.
T-Mobile will in October. I do not know about Straight Talk.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
dkla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
T-Mobile will in October. I do not know about Straight Talk.
Rumor has it that ST will also have nanoSIMs around October 15th. It's an unverified rumor though...
dkla is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone