Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I have had an iPhone on AT&T since launch. I never went over a gig in any month. I have used half a gig in 2 days with Verizon!! Worse, it uses LTE while I am at home with a rock solid wifi connection. If I turn cellular off altogether I can still see, for example, a YouTube video. But if I leave it on, while still connected with wifi, it sucks data like a vampire. W t f????

And, all day, it leaks data even with no apps running!

H e l p !!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, a lot of people have this issue. I'd suggest turning off cellular data when you're home until a solution is found. I even do that on my 4S sometimes since my plan doesn't allow for a lot of data use.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
No, 2 gb, and its used 25% in 2 days! And I'm not streaming anything or watching movies, pandora Etc

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
No, 2 gb, and its used 25% in 2 days! And I'm not streaming anything or watching movies, pandora Etc

Did you check off the sync of music in iTunes or could it possibly be streaming from iCloud? That's what accounted for my usage.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Wow I never realized how much data I used until I saw you post. AT&T iPhone 5 in an LTE area. It has been 6 days and I used 1.4GB. Thank god I still have AT&Ts "unlimited" plan (note the quotes)

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, those of us who have been on LTE for a while knew that this would be an issue with those switching from 3G. On my pre-LTE phones, I very rarely ever went over 2GB/mo. I've used several LTE phones now (Galaxy Nexus, GS3, and now the iPhone 5) and my typical use is around 5GB/mo and I'm on WIFI most of the time. However, I do some audio streaming and I download apps and updates over LTE at times. And I enjoy watching some Youtube videos when I'm out and about.

It's sad that we have these fast networks now but you really can't do things on them that you'd now able to do more easily. Correction: you can still do them, but expect to pay more for your data!

That's why Verizon will have to pry my Unlimited data plan off of my cold dead body. I just hope they don't start throttling like they do on AT&T.

Anyway, I read about a data leak issue when the phone is on WIFI and it still uses cell data. If that's they case, then I'd be gathering evidence and presenting it to your carrier if you go over your allotment. I don't think it's clear that this is happening for sure, or if it is, how much data is actually getting through.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I am turning off cellular.

----------

Did you check off the sync of music in iTunes or could it possibly be streaming from iCloud? That's what accounted for my usage.

Negative to both. Something is really wrong here. Just doing stuff like twitter and email is draining my data!!!!

Baumer582

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
I am turning off cellular.

There is still a legitimate problem with this though. If you use data to stream music or movies, yes it will go up with LTE since better quality means more data used. But if you are like the majority of users who occasionally checks Facebook/Twitter/the Internet, your usage shouldn't be that much different. With my iphone 4, I never went over 400 MB because I always had WiFi, and my usage still hasn't changed with the iPhone 5.

Yet, my data on my phone is 4 times the amount Verizon shows on its web page.

It's not a huge problem for me, but for those who think they're using 2 GB and its really 4, that can't happen. Especially if Wifi is being used the majority of the time.

Everyone knows LTE isn't the same as 3G when it comes to data usage. That doesn't mean it should be an exponential difference, and for those without unlimited data, that is a serious issue that Apple needs to look into.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
There is still a legitimate problem with this though. If you use data to stream music or movies, yes it will go up with LTE since better quality means more data used. But if you are like the majority of users who occasionally checks Facebook/Twitter/the Internet, your usage shouldn't be that much different. With my iphone 4, I never went over 400 MB because I always had WiFi, and my usage still hasn't changed with the iPhone 5.

Yet, my data on my phone is 4 times the amount Verizon shows on its web page.

It's not a huge problem for me, but for those who think they're using 2 GB and its really 4, that can't happen. Especially if Wifi is being used the majority of the time.

Everyone knows LTE isn't the same as 3G when it comes to data usage. That doesn't mean it should be an exponential difference, and for those without unlimited data, that is a serious issue that Apple needs to look into.

This is not about me using more data because its so fast. My usage is the same. It uses cell whole at home on wifi. !!!!!

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
See, that's the problem. The argument that people would suffer more usage because it's faster doesn't hold any water for some people. I have not streamed ANYTHING and my usual checking of twitter/email/facebook has increased my data usage exponentially. I've gone over my 200mb limit TWICE, when I never have EVER gone over my data plan in the last month. SOMETHING is seriously wrong here.

BTW, ATT LTE, so this isn't something just for VZ

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
See, that's the problem. The argument that people would suffer more usage because it's faster doesn't hold any water for some people. I have not streamed ANYTHING and my usual checking of twitter/email/facebook has increased my data usage exponentially. I've gone over my 200mb limit TWICE, when I never have EVER gone over my data plan in the last month. SOMETHING is seriously wrong here.

BTW, ATT LTE, so this isn't something just for VZ

Interesting. I thought it was switch to vz

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
So, i checked what spiked my data usage. While I was at lunch today, ALL i checked was facebook and look at this:

IAkvN.png

Would it even make sense that there is a bug with facebook and LTE? Honestly, i am stumped and I know for a fact that only thing I checked was FB at lunch.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Same issue for me:

I've had my iPhone 5 (verizon) for 48 hours and already used 450MB out of my 2GB for the month (just a few days into my billing cycle). On my 4S my data usage was about 200-300 MB per week.

Haven't changed my usage at all - I'm usually on wifi, and when i'm not I never stream music or videos, only do light web-browsing.

This is ridiculous..going to be completely out of data a week into my billing cycle..

Apple TarHeel

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Yeah, those of us who have been on LTE for a while knew that this would be an issue with those switching from 3G. On my pre-LTE phones, I very rarely ever went over 2GB/mo. I've used several LTE phones now (Galaxy Nexus, GS3, and now the iPhone 5) and my typical use is around 5GB/mo and I'm on WIFI most of the time. However, I do some audio streaming and I download apps and updates over LTE at times. And I enjoy watching some Youtube videos when I'm out and about.

It's sad that we have these fast networks now but you really can't do things on them that you'd now able to do more easily. Correction: you can still do them, but expect to pay more for your data!

That's why Verizon will have to pry my Unlimited data plan off of my cold dead body. I just hope they don't start throttling like they do on AT&T.

Anyway, I read about a data leak issue when the phone is on WIFI and it still uses cell data. If that's they case, then I'd be gathering evidence and presenting it to your carrier if you go over your allotment. I don't think it's clear that this is happening for sure, or if it is, how much data is actually getting through.

Verizon throttles unlimited users after 5Gig ... Do a search....

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

How would I go about seeing if that's the issue?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

I use up to 80GB / month. Have yet to be throttled. They throttle based on current load for the tower you're connected to. If the tower is at a heavy load and you're in the top 5%, you might see throttling. Very few people have seen throttling and with me using so much, it has still be a non-issue.

sangreal06

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012

No they don't. Verizon only throttles 3G users and only if you are on a congested tower.

On topic: Just checked my usage and I'm amazed to see I'm at 350MB. I've only been outside of WiFi for an hour or two since getting my phone and I didn't use any apps or anything in that time. I'm also coming from another LTE device that did not burn through data unexpectedly.

edit: nevermind. I realized that this is because I had ~300MB of data used this cycle on my old phone (didn't realize this was included in the iPhone counter). Although I am still surprised I've used even that much data on the iPhone

Last edited:

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Same issue for me:

I've had my iPhone 5 (verizon) for 48 hours and already used 450MB out of my 2GB for the month (just a few days into my billing cycle). On my 4S my data usage was about 200-300 MB per week.

Haven't changed my usage at all - I'm usually on wifi, and when i'm not I never stream music or videos, only do light web-browsing.

This is ridiculous..going to be completely out of data a week into my billing cycle..

Are you looking on your phone for your usage ? or verizonwireless.com ?

Just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.