Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
this one is in Settings -> Music
Tncf+

this one is in Settings -> iTunes & App Stores
SvZ4+

What's the difference between them two in the context of iTunes Match?

my guess is: for those that do not have iTunes Match, uploaded music will be sent to iCloud and the settings in the first picture control the cellular data for those files. those that have iTunes Match that got music uploaded is using cellular data based on the settings in the second picture.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I honestly hadn't noticed the reference to iTunes Match in the iTunes section, but how I believe it works, and testing seems to confirm this, is that the Cellular option under iTunes controls whether NEW music PURCHASES are downloaded automatically to the device over cellular. If that setting is ON and the cellular setting under Match is off, I do not have access to my Match music over cellular. If I turn the iTunes setting off, and the Music setting ON, I do have access to Match over cellular.

The setting under Music controls whether Match is accessible over cellular. Use this setting with caution if you intend to download a large playlist to your device; even if you start on wifi, it will continue on cellular and use a lot of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.