Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honeygirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
I think iPhone 4s with iOS 6 will nearly be the same as iPhone 5,just the A6 CPU and design differences,I suggest you guys to stay with your iPhone(if you have one)because if you don need the A6 chip,there's no point for upgrading.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I think iPhone 4s with iOS 6 will nearly be the same as iPhone 5,just the A6 CPU and design differences,I suggest you guys to stay with your iPhone(if you have one)because if you don need the A6 chip,there's no point for upgrading.

:eek::confused::rolleyes:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
tumblr_lveiyyuzqa1r496q9o1_500.gif

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
OP forgot to mention the other useless features like bigger, more accurate display, and LTE. Who needs LTE when you can get blazing fast 2-6Mbs 3G Internet? Silly iPhone 5 owners.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
OP forgot to mention the other useless features like bigger, more accurate display, and LTE. Who needs LTE when you can get blazing fast 2-6Mbs 3G Internet? Silly iPhone 5 owners.

I can't speak for OP but in the UK we don't have LTE so it's only really a bigger phone, marginally faster with more accurate colors...(cause I do photo editing on my phone and that's SOOO important :rolleyes: )

I have the 4S and I've been using iOS6 for a few months so when I played with the iP5 I wasn't blown away.

I'll just upgrade when the iP5S comes out.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I can't speak for OP but in the UK we don't have LTE so it's only really a bigger phone, marginally faster with more accurate colors...(cause I do photo editing on my phone and that's SOOO important :rolleyes: )

I have the 4S and I've been using iOS6 for a few months so when I played with the iP5 I wasn't blown away.

I'll just upgrade when the iP5S comes out.

Once you go to the bigger screen its hard to go back.

If by marginally faster you mean 2x
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview
Then yes it's "marginally" faster. :rolleyes: safari loads pages much faster IMO.

Battery life is great after some tinkering with a few settings today. I'm at 6.5 hours usage 18 hours stand by, with 40% battery left.

Screen quality and color accuracy is huge for me. Whether its looking at pictures or HD video I can tell a huge difference side by side as the 4S looks washed out compared to the 5. On its own 4/4S is a beautiful display and still one of the best around. You have your opinion and I respect that, but to downplay the upgrade is silly.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V

So you can watch a video at 16x9 on your 4s? :eek: Amazing!!!!!

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007

Then yes it's "marginally" faster. :rolleyes: safari loads pages much faster IMO.

Battery life is great after some tinkering with a few settings today. I'm at 6.5 hours usage 18 hours stand by, with 40% battery left.

Screen quality and color accuracy is huge for me. Whether its looking at pictures or HD video I can tell a huge difference side by side as the 4S looks washed out compared to the 5. On its own 4/4S is a beautiful display and still one of the best around. You have your opinion and I respect that, but to downplay the upgrade is silly.

which settings did you modify?

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012

Again, if you live in the UK: the phone is a specs bump. Safari loading faster? No LTE. Page rendering is dictated by connection speed in most cases; it's hardly a hardware limitation for a 4S.

If you can tell a "huge" difference with your eyes between this screen and the prior one, I and most people on the planet envy your eyesight (FWIW I have 20/20) because the difference isn't nearly as drastic as a non-retina display vs a retina display. The screen thinness makes a difference, slightly. No one is downplaying the upgrade, merely stating that coming from a 4S, it'd be better to wait. Slightly better colors on a device I'll never stream Netflix from doesn't jar me like it may you.

As for battery life, from the majority of my friends reporting it has been the same. I trust their judgements and other websites which state that for heavy users it's the same or worse depending on how much you
fiddle with the settings to make your display and connection bare bones most of the time.

Benchmarks are perhaps the dumbest thing to state to the average, everyday use (which the OP probably is). They are a number and don't represent everyday usage. You sound like a fanboy, and you're clearly not. It's the fastest iPhone ever, yeah, but my 4S is plenty fast and the difference is slightly noticeable in opening apps.

Not trying to chirp you, just saying that there's no need to roll your eyes when the OP makes a valid, albeit unextrapolated, point.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Don't you just love all the 4s justifications on the forum lately :rolleyes:

If you are happy staying with an old 4s ( or just can't afford a 5), why the need to write paragraphs justifying the fact you can't or won't buy a 5?

I'm sure all the 5 owners will turn and nod, and say "good call", or maybe not ;).

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Because I'm sour about being the last to get LTE :(
I struggle to use my phone when not on Wifi it's soo slow :mad:

If you are in London, LTE is probably only weeks away, most 3G is pretty fast as well. You aren't on O2 are you?

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Again, if you live in the UK: the phone is a specs bump. Safari loading faster? No LTE. Page rendering is dictated by connection speed in most cases; it's hardly a hardware limitation for a 4S.

If you can tell a "huge" difference with your eyes between this screen and the prior one, I and most people on the planet envy your eyesight (FWIW I have 20/20) because the difference isn't nearly as drastic as a non-retina display vs a retina display. The screen thinness makes a difference, slightly. No one is downplaying the upgrade, merely stating that coming from a 4S, it'd be better to wait. Slightly better colors on a device I'll never stream Netflix from doesn't jar me like it may you.

As for battery life, from the majority of my friends reporting it has been the same. I trust their judgements and other websites which state that for heavy users it's the same or worse depending on how much you
fiddle with the settings to make your display and connection bare bones most of the time.

Not trying to chirp you, just saying that there's no need to roll your eyes when the OP makes a valid, albeit unextrapolated, point.

I've tested safari on both at the same time the 5 renders big images on forums, IE iPhone 5 background thread much quicker. I'm not making this up.

I can tell a huge difference in screens. Play a movie like the Dark Knight on both at the same time and compare for yourself colors more accurate and detail is better. But who am I to judge I only look at HD Displays all day:rolleyes: 16:9 makes a huge difference believe it or not.

As for battery life I have admittedly been getting 7 hours of usage, heavy usage with browsing streaming netflix/pandora and taking lots of pictures/sending emails.

which settings did you modify?

Turned location services completely off, just need them on when I use my GPS or another handful of Apps. Considering turning it back on for Apps like find my iPhone, but it'll most likely be when I travel. Knocked brightness down to about 30-35% with auto brightness on. Turned off LTE when I was on wifi. Not sure if that helped anything really. Just trying different things.

This was the day before. Phone was seeing similar usage. Minus Netflix because it wasn't updated yet.

29caw6e.jpg

This is what it was at when I woke up this morning

260s9cn.jpg

This is what it's at currently

504q51.jpg

----------

Well on a benchmark is twice as fast... for everyday use probably about 10-15% faster... its like having a Ferrari and only being able to drive at a school zone =) most apps dont use the hardware the phone has to offer

He said the phone itself was marginally faster. Which is completely false. The user experience may be marginally faster. The extra ram is very nice to have because I'm usually doing 6-7 heavy tasks at once and haven't had a crash yet. Some of us use our phones for more then just texting and Facebook. :cool:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona

This looks like an attempt to justify a decision to not upgrade. Trying to find others saying "YES YES YES! I won't either!!".

Well, good luck with that.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Don't you just love all the 4s justifications on the forum lately :rolleyes:

If you are happy staying with an old 4s ( or just can't afford a 5), why the need to write paragraphs justifying the fact you can't or won't buy a 5?

I'm sure all the 5 owners will turn and nod, and say "good call", or maybe not ;).

I'm not going to get into how painfully dumb and narrow minded your statement is, but I'm sure I speak for plenty of 4S owners when I say yes, I can afford a 5 but no, I don't feel the need to run out and get it. It's a nice phone, but it's not enough to get me to take my wallet out.

Feel the need to write paragraphs? It's a forum, what do you propose we do?

Per the comments about the screen ratio, you're right about that 16:9 making a difference. It's a reason why you won't catch me watching movies on my 4S. Lots of other, much more suitable items for that. The iPhone 5, and any phone for that matter (save for the absurdly large Note), are not optimal for that task.

I actually will take you up on that Dark Knight proposal though ha.Bane is possibly my favorite villain ever.

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Not 100% related but it bugs me when you see comments on blogs etc. about how all the apple lovers just go out and buy the iPhone 5 even though its barely an upgrade over 4S blah blah blah. Well newsflash! Not everyone is upgrading from the last iPhone and gets the new phone every year. I've been using a 3GS still and so why not get the 5 instead of a 4S since it just came out and I'll likely be using it again for 3 years (damn Canadian contracts).

Think I'll be pleasantly surprised when my 64 gb black iPhone 5 arrives. I don't even have a retina display yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.