Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #26
rish
macrumors 6502

Oh Tim, open letters are great but naming the competition is a no no mate. Old Stevie would have erred on the side of caution.
rish is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #27
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamina View Post
Interesting now he recommended we use Microsoft's, Google's and Nokia's maps. They're in lawsuits with all of them right now.
They have resolved most of their lawsuits with Microsoft and Nokia. If anything, they are more partners with Microsoft than enemies.

I think this is another sign of Apple's relative openness under Tim Cook. iOS 6 is the first to have a lower (albeit slightly) satisfaction rating than its predecessor, and it's mostly because of Maps.

As for the "recommendation," these companies all make web apps freely available.
KPOM is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #28
identity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post
Don't think you understand the situation. The maps were expiring in a year. Apple took the risk of releasing their maps a year before Google Maps expired because they would have a year of user based data to improve their maps. They did it so they could get the issues out of the way earlier than later. If they waited until next year when Google Maps expired, they would have had to add Apple Maps anyway. The Maps are fine the only thing not fine are the POI and incorrect data, the best way to improve that is user input.
No, Apple released a beta Maps and claimed it to be a finished product, just like Siri was last year.
identity is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #29
blizaine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp
I agree. I've been using it sense iOS6 beta 1. Love it. So much better than before. 3D is beautiful. Fly behind turn by turn is sweet. So far every POI I've searched for as been spot on except for 1. And so I opened google mobile maps and it gave me the same wrong location.
blizaine is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #30
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Now apologize for scuffgate or did he know about that.
Bathplug is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #31
latestmonkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
I love Waze.

That being said, I think having over 100 Million users out of the box means this product will be improved quickly. More quickly than Siri since it's used more often.
I wonder if apple tracks the number of people who declined to use Siri out of the box. I certainly did.
latestmonkey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #32
Luanna5515
macrumors newbie

Last edited by Luanna5515; Nov 20, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Luanna5515 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #33
gotluck
macrumors 68040

In before apologists say there isn't a problem..

Oh wait, too late

Well, at least the mother ship acknowledges there is a problem.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #34
Jarson
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Jarson
Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
Cliffs notes: Our maps suck, use a competitor's product.
Nope. It is more something like "You ain't got a choice, eventually you can make a shortcut to Google Maps website while we finish our product, you suckers."

The worst thing I've realized after this letter is that they're probably not going to approve Google Maps app at all.
Jarson is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:10 AM   #35
Reddmanz
macrumors regular

Quote I've just seen on Twitter about this that I think sums it up pretty well.

"Mistakes happen. Itís how you deal with them that sets you apart"
Reddmanz is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:10 AM   #36
applesith
macrumors 68000

Directing customers to competitors? Then why even bother releasing Apple maps? Suck up the lack of turn by turn for another year and keep with Google for now. They should have offered Apple Maps as a public beta in iOS 6.
applesith is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:10 AM   #37
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Bah I wouldn't have apologized. Maps has been fine for me. I bet more then half the people complaining are android users that haven't even used it.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #38
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestmonkey View Post
I wonder if apple tracks the number of people who declined to use Siri out of the box. I certainly did.
I didn't, I love Siri. Just wish Siri could do more.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #39
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Wow. Wasn't expecting so many idiotic replies in this thread. Looks like the human race is in the decline.
MonkeySee.... is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #40
summitRun
macrumors regular

Read: we hate google so much we had to force this app on you to make it better. Sorry.
summitRun is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #41
ChrisH3677
macrumors 6502a

Tim, a classy response.
ChrisH3677 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #42
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Jeeze, guys, I respect the man for actually posting this letter - something Steve Jobs would have never done. I've been a pretty harsh critic of Maps, and still will be after this letter, but I respect the man for admitting there's a problem.
Roessnakhan is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:12 AM   #43
shortcrust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
Lets be real. Maps is "ok" now, but give it about 6 months and its going to be all you use. I personally use it a lot and have never had an issue with it.
I'm guessing you don't live outside the USA!
shortcrust is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:12 AM   #44
winston1236
macrumors 65816

"There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day."

wrong! you mean there are 100 million devices "with" the defective maps, not using "using" them.
winston1236 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:12 AM   #45
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamina View Post
Interesting now he recommended we use Microsoft's, Google's and Nokia's maps. They're in lawsuits with all of them right now.
Well he knows apple maps suck. He also is not going to do stuff out of spit like the former leader. I could easily believe that Apple maps be pushed out on ios 6 was the former leaders reasoning and plans were to far in motion for Tim to change them
Rodimus Prime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:12 AM   #46
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to skinnylegs
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp
I'm with you on this one. I used Google Maps *extensively" and I much prefer Apple Maps. It's cleaner, faster and it offers turn-by-turn navigation that has been spot on every time I've used it.

Last edited by skinnylegs; Sep 28, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
skinnylegs is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:12 AM   #47
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

How about the "here's a button you can press to easily return to ios 5 while we resolve this debacle" solution.
mankar4 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:13 AM   #48
antoniojg25
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to antoniojg25 Send a message via Skype™ to antoniojg25
i actually used the map yesterday for the first time and i being having the iphone 5 since it came out and you know what it was freaking great i cannot complain. Tim Cook said the right thing by apologizing and we expect the best from apple give them time guys and don't be surprise that in 6 months or maybe less than that they could better than google guys . geez so many people complaints but they still use the phone right smh on some of you guys.
antoniojg25 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:13 AM   #49
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
Bah I wouldn't have apologized. Maps has been fine for me. I bet more then half the people complaining are android users that haven't even used it.
I bet otherwise. Have you had a look at some of the screenshots that people have posted? According to iOS 6 Maps, my area is under one massive cloud.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:13 AM   #50
theSeb
macrumors 603

Steve would have checked that all locations were perfect pixel by pixel and debugged each line of code. That's why there were never any problems with any apple products or software when he was around.

Actually, Steve would probably have told customers that they are looking at their maps wrong and then fired most of the maps team.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion