Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:04 AM   #1
VolcomLegend
macrumors member

Three (UK) Home Signal

Hi all,

I switched to Three for my iPhone 5 due to unlimited download. Checked coverage map for home and it looked great. Unfortunately, signal at home is nearly non-existent so I phoned Three. They did some digging and said that there was no problem with their kit. Asked them if there was something I could plug in at home to boost it - I know there is, I had Vodafone's SureSignal previously. They said that once my trial of two weeks is over (basically once I can't easily cancel), they will send me the Home Signal to use my broadband and boost signal - for free.

Has anyone had one of these from Three? For free? I'm worried they are just trying to delay me until after my inital two weeks to make things difficult for me to leave. Sounds pessimistic but I've not had a good impression from Three so far (that's another story!).

Thanks,

VL
VolcomLegend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:57 PM   #2
dug81
macrumors newbie

Hey VolcomLegend, I'm in pretty much the same position as you- ordered my iPhone 5 from three because of the unlimited data and ability to tether. Got the phone on launch day and was really disappointed to find that the most I get in my house is 1 bar of signal which fluctuates with the 'No Service' message.

Called Three and got pretty much the same story from them as you, that they couldn't help or provide the Home Signal Box as I was still within the 14 day period, was advised on one call to return the phone and end my contract despite me saying that I wanted to stay.

I completed their complaint form on Monday and got a call back on Friday saying they're looking into my case to see if I can be provided with a signal box. They assured me that if they can't provide a box I'll have the opportunity to end the contract even though by then it will be past the 14 day period due to the fact I raised the network issue within the 14 days.

Will wait and see what happens I guess- don't really understand why they're willing to end a contract that could net them over a grand over the next two years rather than provide a 100 quid device but still!

Good Luck!
dug81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
VolcomLegend
macrumors member

Hi Dug,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds very similar. I never got told there was a doubt about getting a signal box though so here's hoping. They said someone would phone on the 5th to confirm and would have one sent out. I'll phone them though as their track record at phoning me back is pretty terrible.

I'll update this thread with how I'm getting on.

Cheers,

VL
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:51 PM   #4
wrkactjob
Banned

Have you not tried Giffgaff unlimited data for 10pm?...same network as O2.
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Zedsdead185
macrumors 6502

I've always avoided three because I have known too many people have problems with them. You are still in your rights to cancel, and if your having doubts then I would cancel sooner rather than later. There are other tariffs out there that are generally considered a lot more reliable.
Zedsdead185 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

This is great thread for me - currently on O2 with an iPhone 3. The plan isn't great value anymore (but does have unlimited data) and will be looking to change when the fuss dies down and I can get hold of a 5. Currently contemplating which networks to consider.

Did consider three but can remember the ghastly service friends had years ago when they set up.

I've got a very boring chart which shows the networks but has anyone got a deal on contract they really recommend in terms of cost/signal etc? Happy to consider sim only as long as I can port my number.
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7
VolcomLegend
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
Have you not tried Giffgaff unlimited data for 10pm?...same network as O2.
Didn't really have the cash to purchase the phone out-right, I'm afraid.

To be fair, other than the signal at home, Three seem to have pretty good coverage where I am. Indoors it can drop but even 1 bar of Three seems to be better than 3 or 4 bars of Voda when I was on them. And the other day, I had 5 bars and SpeedTest.net reported a download of 19.24mbps!

I'll wait and see what happens with this Home Signal box because otherwise, I'm happy - as long as I don't have to deal with CS :-P .
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
robpow
macrumors regular

We had two phones with Three but had to leave as while the signal was decent enough half the time you couldn't call out during peak hours like early evenings and incoming calls would go directly to voice mail. Of course Three denied there were any issues and offered to troubleshoot our phones even though it was nothing wrong with them.

They have also started letting go of their roaming arrangements with 2G networks in many areas leaving you with overall worse coverage.

The lesson learned is that if all is well then Three is a good network with competitive tariffs, when thing start to go wrong however they're not so hot.
robpow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
NeilSpoon
macrumors newbie

Isnt it pretty much common knowledge Three is pretty poor signal wise? You get what you pay for I suppose....
NeilSpoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilSpoon View Post
Isnt it pretty much common knowledge Three is pretty poor signal wise? You get what you pay for I suppose....
They have the biggest 3G network in the UK, so the exact opposite is common knowledge.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:17 PM   #11
SL4VE
macrumors 6502

3 is a 3G kn,y network hence the may have the biggest coverage in 3G but no 2G where 3G isn't available. Hence the lack of any signal.
SL4VE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4VE View Post
3 is a 3G kn,y network hence the may have the biggest coverage in 3G but no 2G where 3G isn't available. Hence the lack of any signal.

When the 3G network covers most of the UK Population, that's not really a problem.

Where there's no 3G signal, you can still use the Orange 2G network.
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
ollyb
macrumors member

Ignoring for a moment the insanity of signing a two year contract without knowing how a network performs in your own home, Three's network is actually a lot better now than when all the "horror stories" we're actually valid. Sure, there are notspots, and I do find myself in places for very short periods of time with no signal, but these are few and far between.

Basically, you'll get anecdotes about any network, but all that matters is coverage in the places you go. Should always try to check this out in advance.
ollyb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #14
richardmu
macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more!!
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:29 AM   #15
dug81
macrumors newbie

My house seems to be a bit of a black spot in terms of signal so even though on most network coverage checkers it shows a good signal inside the house this is never usually the case. None of my friends are on Three so didn't have the opportunity to do a 'real life' check.

I have to agree with VolcomLegend though- even 1 bar on Three seems a million times better than 1 bar on Vodafone.
dug81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:31 PM   #16
VolcomLegend
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug81 View Post
My house seems to be a bit of a black spot in terms of signal so even though on most network coverage checkers it shows a good signal inside the house this is never usually the case. None of my friends are on Three so didn't have the opportunity to do a 'real life' check.

I have to agree with VolcomLegend though- even 1 bar on Three seems a million times better than 1 bar on Vodafone.
Yup, I had no friends on Three either and was relying on the coverage map on Three's website - unable to check, not insane. Plus, considering it is a mobile phone I'm concerned with network performance in a multitude of locations, not just home, funnily enough - no network performs in every location I want so I need to compromise somewhere. Also, I'm not really complaining about Three having a poor network in my OP - just lack of signal in the flat and I was asking about people's experience with getting a hold of Home Signal. My flat is poor for signal on most networks and am waiting on a solution from Three.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:48 PM   #17
dug81
macrumors newbie

Just a quick update. Got a call from the complaints department as promised within the timeframe they specified and they finally agreed to provide me with a signal box!

Delivery came next day (using DPD who are excellent) and I set it up a few hours ago. Set up went relatively smoothly after I realised that the SIM card that came already inserted wasn't fully pushed in. It's been working brilliantly so far and I've got full signal downstairs near the box and 4 bars upstairs where there was previously no service.

Very happy, fingers crossed now that it's reliable.

VolcomLegend, if you haven't already completed the complaints form on the three site I would definitely give it a go as I think the chances of getting the box any other way is pretty slim. Good luck.
dug81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:50 PM   #18
JazzG
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
They have the biggest 3G network in the UK, so the exact opposite is common knowledge.
Their data download rates are brilliant compared to others and when you are out and about it fine but indoors their coverage is rubbish. I know about 10 people on three, all with them as they are cheap but moan like hell about how poor the coverage is.

Last edited by JazzG; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
JazzG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:11 PM   #19
VolcomLegend
macrumors member

Just about to post my update, dug!

I phoned them after my 2 week period and had them ship one out. Arrived earlier in the week, had it set up in 10 minutes. Now I ave full signal pretty much all over. I'm a very happy camper now. Feel I can actually make se of my phone at home now rather than it sitting in the corner of the back room, fighting for signal. :-)
VolcomLegend is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:34 PM   #20
M0esmac
macrumors 6502a

It shows coverage in my area too, but I'm getting 'No Service' or 'Searching...' all the time if I'm in the middle of my house.

If I'm near window - I'm alright. 3 bars even sometimes.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:46 PM   #21
SpinalTap
macrumors member

The 3 deal is tempting, but of little use if you cannot use your iPhone without issue. A check on http://ukmobilecoverage.co.uk will show signal coverage for your provider by postcode.

My daughter was tempted by 3 for use in Oxford area, but colleagues warned of poor signal availability. For the same monthly fee of 3, t-mobile was the carrier she went with - unlimited data, texts and calls, plus excellent signal coverage.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:19 PM   #22
gr4z
macrumors member

Sorry to resurrect this post...I am going through the same shenanigans with Three in trying to get a Home Signal box. After speaking with them at length over the last few weeks they still refuse to give or even sell me a box.

I am on the One Plan and I am very happy with the service apart from at home where I struggle with a signal indoors. Even though they openly admit they have the boxes and it will fix the issue they still wont give me one because I am not on a 24 month phone deal! I am more than happy to buy one but still they refuse. So it seems they want to pick and choose who they help.

I have now made an official complaint, but I doubt I will get a response.

Cheers
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
So it seems they want to pick and choose who they help.
It just makes no sense for them to offer it to you.

They must feel that it's too expensive to offer them to all customers, particularly a SIM only customer as there's no incentive for that customer to continue their service
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:28 AM   #24
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to get one of these using the following arguments:

- Before purchasing the iphone 5 I asked for signal and was shown in the maps good voice&broadband indoors and outdoors signal

- now signal indoors is non-existant

- there are 3 potential 3 customers in my household, unless this is solved i won't port the other 2 lines over to Three

The engineering dept is supposed to give me a call.. I'll request the home signal device.

btw what are the broadband requirements for this? is 3 mbps enough??
jmmo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:38 PM   #25
Geordie bry
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilSpoon View Post
Utter rubbish.
Been with 3 for 2 years and 3 g signal is excellent.
Geordie bry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone